No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258921
05/06/21 02:56 PM
05/06/21 02:56 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I deal exclusively with locals on everything, including something like this.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: atrapper] #7258927
05/06/21 03:17 PM
05/06/21 03:17 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by atrapper
Under $20,000? Is that including labor to install or just the windows? $20,000 for everything with the number of windows you are replacing sounds pretty cheap. We were quoted around $12,000 for labor, 13 windows and a sliding door.

Around $950 a window installed. I wouldn't say that's "cheap" exactly.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: hippie] #7258930
05/06/21 03:29 PM
05/06/21 03:29 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by hippie
I deal exclusively with locals on everything, including something like this.

This is what I was thinking. Do some research on them and you will get the same job done for a good bit less money. Well, for most people. We have way over bid jobs thinking there was no way they would take the bid. Then they did. Turns out the other contractors wouldn't even give them a bid because of their attitude.

Others would make you lunch and even bring out a beer at the end of the day.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258934
05/06/21 03:41 PM
05/06/21 03:41 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Chillax Finster

Comng in hot will run any smart contractor off .

Anyone willing to roll the dice on you will charge you double

Have you considered doing them yourself ? I've seen your work and I'm sure you could handle it .

You've got time in-between your tours of duty , don't you ?

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258937
05/06/21 03:47 PM
05/06/21 03:47 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Also have you considered the possibility you may have to paint both the interior and exterior of your home when the project is completed ?

There are alot of different scenarios and options with your trim replacement but I'm guessing you don't want it half arsed

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258970
05/06/21 05:06 PM
05/06/21 05:06 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Since you used the phrase "rock bottom" multiple times in your post, it's clear you're looking for cost versus quality, and you'll probably get what you pay for. That fits with your plan to only use companies who sell and install windows. Around here the brand installers are the worst as far as craftsmanship, but hey they're also the cheapest so you'll get what you want. Maybe it's different there. Personally I'd rather use a salesman to sell me windows and hire a good carpenter to install them. If you want a salesman to do your carpentry, have at it. Most high-quality contractors aren't interested in bidding "rock bottom" work anyway.

What exactly is it you hate about vinyl? That it lasts forever, can be painted any color with the house, and is intrinsically sealed? Are you going with metal that corrodes or wood that fades and weathers?

In any case, I'm looking forward to your posts in 2 years griping about your crappy window installation grin

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: KenaiKid] #7259001
05/06/21 05:55 PM
05/06/21 05:55 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Since you used the phrase "rock bottom" multiple times in your post, it's clear you're looking for cost versus quality, and you'll probably get what you pay for. That fits with your plan to only use companies who sell and install windows. Around here the brand installers are the worst as far as craftsmanship, but hey they're also the cheapest so you'll get what you want. Maybe it's different there. Personally I'd rather use a salesman to sell me windows and hire a good carpenter to install them. If you want a salesman to do your carpentry, have at it. Most high-quality contractors aren't interested in bidding "rock bottom" work anyway.

What exactly is it you hate about vinyl? That it lasts forever, can be painted any color with the house, and is intrinsically sealed? Are you going with metal that corrodes or wood that fades and weathers?

In any case, I'm looking forward to your posts in 2 years griping about your crappy window installation grin

Well, you're clueless on the average sales pitch. Salesmen are only one step above lawyers on the scum of the earth scale. Here's a window, it's $1000 but if you buy it right now it's $650. You say no and he knocks off another $25 y0u say no and the next day he calls and tells you $600 and so on. I don't have time for such games and I'm also out of time explaining myself to you.

Last edited by Finster; 05/06/21 06:05 PM.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: CoonsBane] #7259010
05/06/21 06:07 PM
05/06/21 06:07 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Originally Posted by CoonsBane
Sounds like you're not getting new windows.

Exactly my thoughts!
I’ve had customers with attitudes from the get go as well, and basically told them politely I didn’t need their
attitude or their business. Good craftsmen always have more work than they can do. No reason to put up with the BS.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: cmcf] #7259016
05/06/21 06:26 PM
05/06/21 06:26 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by cmcf
Originally Posted by CoonsBane
Sounds like you're not getting new windows.

Exactly my thoughts!
I’ve had customers with attitudes from the get go as well, and basically told them politely I didn’t need their
attitude or their business. Good craftsmen always have more work than they can do. No reason to put up with the BS.

WOW! I never thought this thread would hurt so many feelings. Guess I'm a just a big meanie wanting quality for my money. Sure are a bunch of snowflakes around these days. Used to be real men around that would talk direct and to the point with no BS. Guess those days are gone and everyone needs coddled these days. People can't even take blunt, direct talk anymore. what a world of sissies.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7259021
05/06/21 06:42 PM
05/06/21 06:42 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Finster got his feeling hurt.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: loosegoose] #7259026
05/06/21 06:52 PM
05/06/21 06:52 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Originally Posted by loosegoose

And he needs coddled

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7259030
05/06/21 06:57 PM
05/06/21 06:57 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by Finster

WOW! I never thought this thread would hurt so many feelings. Guess I'm a just a big meanie wanting quality for my money. Sure are a bunch of snowflakes around these days. Used to be real men around that would talk direct and to the point with no BS. Guess those days are gone and everyone needs coddled these days. People can't even take blunt, direct talk anymore. what a world of sissies.

Fin, I agree with you 99% of the time. This is the 1% that I do not agree with you. I was going to give more info but I can see that you have not intentions of listening to anyone that responds to you. You will either pay more than you need to or you will learn to like the windows that you have.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: wetdog] #7259032
05/06/21 06:58 PM
05/06/21 06:58 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by wetdog
Originally Posted by loosegoose

And he needs coddled

Nope, just amazed at how many sissies call themselves men these days. No wonder guys are walking around in dresses and people accept it. People just can't handle blunt, direct honesty anymore. It's really pathetic. Sorry if I hurt someones wittle feelwings.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Jerry Jr.] #7259034
05/06/21 07:01 PM
05/06/21 07:01 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

Fin, I agree with you 99% of the time. This is the 1% that I do not agree with you. I was going to give more info but I can see that you have not intentions of listening to anyone that responds to you. You will either pay more than you need to or you will learn to like the windows that you have.
So you disagree with the 4 points that I stated? Ok. what would you expect? What if it was your 20 grand? What would you put up with to get a contractor?

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7259066
05/06/21 07:40 PM
05/06/21 07:40 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

So you disagree with the 4 points that I stated? Ok. what would you expect? What if it was your 20 grand? What would you put up with to get a contractor?

I built my house and a few others. Did every other job on a house that you can think of. The benefits of having a Dad who was a contractor. Did that for 10+ years and then on the side for 10. after that I have been just helping friends and family.

Dude, put your big boy pants on and man up. Take the advise that has been given to you. Use it or go with your original plan. Calling everyone a 'snowflake' that doesn't agree with you doesn't work in political threads and it doesn't work on this one.

Being blunt isn't a problem, being arrogant is.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7259072
05/06/21 07:48 PM
05/06/21 07:48 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
I don't see Finster being a dink?
Its his $. Being blunt right outta the gate may keep the dinks away.

As for hating on Vinyl windows well, they have come ALONG ways from 20 years ago.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: KenaiKid] #7259081
05/06/21 07:59 PM
05/06/21 07:59 PM
KY
L
learch Offline
trapper
learch  Offline
trapper
L

KY
We
Originally Posted by KenaiKid

This advise is spot on.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7259104
05/06/21 08:32 PM
05/06/21 08:32 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Maybe you just need some glass cleaner grin

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: AntiGov] #7259124
05/06/21 09:02 PM
05/06/21 09:02 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by AntiGov
Maybe you just need some glass cleaner grin

This guys improve game is top notch. Why he is not a well paid comedian I am not sure. I would have bought one just for the entertainment.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7259172
05/06/21 10:04 PM
05/06/21 10:04 PM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
This was over 20 years ago but I remember a window salesman coming to my parent's house one time. After a his presentation on how great the windows were he quoted them a price of $12,000.00 for the job. Dad declined and the guy went out to his car to call his boss. Came back with a lower number. Dad still wasn't interested. Finally before he left he gave a quote of $4000.00. Dad passed on that as well.

Poor people have poor ways.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread