Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wax question [Re: Mad Scientist] #7262276
05/11/21 01:19 PM
05/11/21 01:19 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Stick a hose In the bucket and let It over flow with the waste wax.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wax question [Re: The Beav] #7262288
05/11/21 02:04 PM
05/11/21 02:04 PM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline OP
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by The Beav
Stick a hose In the bucket and let It over flow with the waste wax.

Thanks Beav that’s been my method but came up with a new one today.I took my pot off cooker and headed out to the hose and spotted a barrel full of water.I sunk pot to the bottom and the wax almost flew out of water.You could even harvest wax with minnow net for fire starter.Learned something new today.

Re: Wax question [Re: The Beav] #7262563
05/11/21 08:49 PM
05/11/21 08:49 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I think he meant he cleans the traps In lye water then dyes them then waxes them. Wax on top of water wont give you a decent wax job. The trap needs to be as hot as the wax to do a decent job.

I hear this all the time. I've waxed traps with wax on top of the water since I was a kid and never had a problem. You just need to leave the traps in the water long enough they are the same temperature as the water, and the wax floating on top of the water will be the same temperature also. Pulling hot traps out of hot water through hot wax the water flows off the trap and you get a nice even, thin coat of wax on the trap. If you didn't leave the traps in long enough, you'll know it! They will come out with a thick, lumpy, flakey coat of wax on them.

Re: Wax question [Re: Mad Scientist] #7262625
05/11/21 09:55 PM
05/11/21 09:55 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I think he meant he cleans the traps In lye water then dyes them then waxes them. Wax on top of water wont give you a decent wax job. The trap needs to be as hot as the wax to do a decent job.

I’m talking about wax from used traps that floats up to the top of lye water.

I boil in lye, when time to pull them, I overflow the crud on top and pull and rinse. I might get 2 batches out of a good strong solution. After all the traps are clean I make new solutions of logwood dye (extract). I overflow those too before pulling the traps. Into the wax pot before they cool too much but after the traps dry a bit.

The Beav is right. Gotta leave traps in the pot till they are hot as the wax. That is for me until they stop bubbling. That’s the excess water from the dye boiling off. The wax coating will be super thin and more durable that way.

Last edited by bhugo; 05/11/21 09:59 PM.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Wax question [Re: Mad Scientist] #7262708
05/12/21 12:20 AM
05/12/21 12:20 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Water will not get as hot as the wax so the trap won't get as hot as the wax. So In my opinion you can't get a decent job. But If It works for you go for It.

Last edited by The Beav; 05/12/21 12:21 AM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91