No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267035
05/18/21 04:48 PM
05/18/21 04:48 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Everyone's definition of a "good" one is vast. Analogous to trophy deer hunters & can't eat the antlers guys. Personally, if I can fool one close enough and it's beard is sagging, the hammer is down. Turkey hunting is so interactive, it's even more about the hunt experience than the measurements.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267036
05/18/21 04:50 PM
05/18/21 04:50 PM
ny
G
gcs Offline OP
trapper
gcs  Offline OP
trapper
G

ny
Thanks all for the education.
Gotta admit, "MY" turkeys don't seem like the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, just about have to kick them out of the way, but I have them up at my hunting camp that have been hunted by predators their whole life that pay closer attention to detail... When they're not following a manure spreader.... I guess location DOES matter,
grin

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267042
05/18/21 04:57 PM
05/18/21 04:57 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I still enjoy turkey hunting in Eastern NC where a 20ld bird is a good one. Now I live in a senior condo property in Asheville, in the mountains, and I have a turkey that frequently comes to our door to be fed sunflower seeds. Last few years we have given them names. Only one tom bird this year. His name is Giblet. I expect he will weigh about 22-23 lbs. A very nice turkey. I could catch him in a cast net. When my wife shakes a plastic solo cup with sunflower seeds, he comes to our patio. He will not eat from her hand but will eat from a bowl about four feet away.

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267043
05/18/21 04:59 PM
05/18/21 04:59 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I still enjoy turkey hunting in Eastern NC where a 20ld bird is a good one. Now I live in a senior condo property in Asheville, in the mountains, and I have a turkey that frequently comes to our door to be fed sunflower seeds. Last few years we have given them names. Only one tom bird this year. His name is Giblet. I expect he will weigh about 22-23 lbs. A very nice turkey. I could catch him in a cast net. When my wife shakes a plastic solo cup with sunflower seeds, he comes to our patio. He will not eat from her hand but will eat from a bowl about four feet away.

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267046
05/18/21 05:09 PM
05/18/21 05:09 PM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline
trapper
btomlin  Offline
trapper

SC Iowa
I agree with everyone else on turkey hunting most important part is the experience. My best bird(1.5" spurs and 10" & 11" beards) was one of the most forgettable hunts I've experienced. Flew down and landed right next to my decoy. He had moved trees on me during the night as he wasn't were I had roosted him the evening before. I got into position super early and once he started gobbling, I couldn't even call because he was so close on the limb.

I had a similar situation about 10yrs ago with my best friend. He had hunted hard and it just wasn't working out. We had a bird pitch out off the limb onto the side of the ridge we were on to about 20yrds. Only problem, bird was below the ridge and just out of sight. The old boy did a looky-loo up to where the "hen" was and my friend sealed the deal. Hunt was about 3 mins. One of my most memorable....it is all about the experience.

Last edited by btomlin; 05/18/21 05:16 PM.
Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: btomlin] #7267063
05/18/21 05:29 PM
05/18/21 05:29 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by btomlin
I agree with everyone else on turkey hunting most important part is the experience. My best bird(1.5" spurs and 10" & 11" beards) was one of the most forgettable hunts I've experienced. Flew down and landed right next to my decoy. He had moved trees on me during the night as he wasn't were I had roosted him the evening before. I got into position super early and once he started gobbling, I couldn't even call because he was so close on the limb.

I had a similar situation about 10yrs ago with my best friend. He had hunted hard and it just wasn't working out. We had a bird pitch out off the limb onto the side of the ridge we were on to about 20yrds. Only problem, bird was below the ridge and just out of sight. The old boy did a looky-loo up to where the "hen" was and my friend sealed the deal. Hunt was about 3 mins. One of my most memorable....it is all about the experience.

I had a bird limb hop on me before. I watched him fly up and knew exactly which limb he was on. Wasn’t I surprised when it started breaking light and I couldn’t see him. I jumped like crazy when he gobbled dead above me!! And NO, I never got that bird. As far as I know he died of old age!

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267328
05/18/21 10:05 PM
05/18/21 10:05 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
Any bird taken legally and ethically is a trophy. If you have someone special with ya, even better!

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: Trapper Bo] #7267441
05/19/21 12:14 AM
05/19/21 12:14 AM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Originally Posted by Trapper Bo
Any turkey shot thru both lungs with archery equipment is a trophy...

Coming from a clown who shoots squirrels with a 12 gauge.
You probably shoot fox pups in the summertime.

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267442
05/19/21 12:16 AM
05/19/21 12:16 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Was thinking about the game feeding part all day I remember the old guys on the evening news hand feeding deer, food can tame about everything if you play it right.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267514
05/19/21 06:47 AM
05/19/21 06:47 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
I didn't read the thread.

Spring turkey hunting is my favorite thing to do.

I read where guys think they're dumb and easy to kill. In states that don't get a lot of hunting pressure or with Jakes and some two-year-old birds that can be true.

Heavily pressured birds two-years-old and up can be some of the wariest creatures you'll ever encounter.

If you play by the rules; hunting by calling only here in Pa, educated gobblers can be very difficult to kill.

To me, those are the trophy birds.

The bigger the challenge they present, the bigger the trophy I consider them.

I often spend days working the same bird.

When they get that cautious they are more likely to die of old age then from a hunter's shotgun.

Eh...wot?

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267700
05/19/21 11:12 AM
05/19/21 11:12 AM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
When you give them names after a few cat and mouse chases, you got it bad crazy

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: Rat_Pack] #7267733
05/19/21 12:10 PM
05/19/21 12:10 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
laugh

Eh...wot?

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: Lugnut] #7267751
05/19/21 12:38 PM
05/19/21 12:38 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I d
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I didn't read the thread.

Spring turkey hunting is my favorite thing to do.

I read where guys think they're dumb and easy to kill. In states that don't get a lot of hunting pressure or with Jakes and some two-year-old birds that can be true.

Heavily pressured birds two-years-old and up can be some of the wariest creatures you'll ever encounter.

If you play by the rules; hunting by calling only here in Pa, educated gobblers can be very difficult to kill.

To me, those are the trophy birds.

The bigger the challenge they present, the bigger the trophy I consider them.

I often spend days working the same bird.

When they get that cautious they are more likely to die of old age then from a hunter's shotgun.

I’ve spent a season chasing a gobbler before and would have eaten tag soup had a 2 year old come up gobbling behind me. At first I thought my bird had circled around me. After the shot my bird gobbled again. Never did get him. Hope he sired many more like him.

I like stupid birds, but I absolutely love those old cagey birds. The ones you chase and think you have figured out and then they throw another surprise at you. You know the ones I’m talking about. You spend days watching him. You know what tree and even limb he roosts on and which direction he flies down every morning.

You finally get in and set up on him. As day breaks you’re at 100 yards or less watching him wake up and start gobbling. You don’t make a sound, there’s no need, you’ve done your homework. This will be one of your quickest hunts of the season. He’s gobbling out in front, hens are behind you, and to even further help seal the deal, another gobbler sounds of farther behind you.

Your watching him start walking limbs and even tree hopping down a few limbs for an easy glide out straight in front of you. It’s time...except he glides down farther out in front of you. You’re not in panic mode yet. You’re hid. Hadn’t even had to make a call due to the hens behind you and the other gobbler letting out a gobble every now and then. You wait. You’re assuming he hit the deck and just standing there strutting, waiting for the hens to work to him.

You let out some soft calling...no answer. You let out a little louder calling and he answers...200 yards farther out in front of you and heading away. You wait longer as the hens are flying down and he’s letting it rip because he hears them as well. You wait, and wait some more. Everything eventually goes quiet and you’re left wondering what went wrong...been there way too many times, lol.

That’s why I love/hate these birds!!

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: gcs] #7267782
05/19/21 01:20 PM
05/19/21 01:20 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Online content
trapper
Moosetrot  Online Content
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Have to relate a story I call "The Bombing Range Gobbler".

We hunt about 10 miles from a major military training ground. When they do the practice bombing you can hear the concussions. There was a big gobbler that would shock gobble when they were bombing.

The first time I saw/heard him he came in to my cutting running full tilt which threw me off a little, and when I shot I blasted the life out of a small tree instead of him. My son had pretty much the same experience with him. He had outwitted both of us. I finally took a different bird but still had a tag as did my wife.

I took her out to the same spot a couple days later. We were sitting there and then the bombing began and I heard a gobble way off in the distance. I started cutting and when the next bomb dropped he was closer. It continued and I told my wife "That's him!" and I set up in the brush nearby as I figured he would take either one of two trails we were sitting between. The bombing, cutting, and shock gobbles continued for a long time, the gobbling getting closer every time...then things went quiet.

I took a quick look through a hole in the brush and out in the field where my wife was watching to see him standing there big as could be and in her range. I did my best silent whisper "Take him!" and BOOM, she rolled him. I stood up and he started running so I finished him off. She was still shaking but proud as could be.

One of those fun hunts on a "good" bird.

Moosetrot

Re: Question for turkey hunters [Re: claycreech] #7268049
05/19/21 08:22 PM
05/19/21 08:22 PM
Missouri
T
Trapper Bo Offline
trapper
Trapper Bo  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri
Originally Posted by claycreech
Originally Posted by Trapper Bo
Any turkey shot thru both lungs with archery equipment is a trophy...

Coming from a clown who shoots squirrels with a 12 gauge.
You probably shoot fox pups in the summertime.

If Shotgunning bushytails was good enough for Tennessee Ernie Ford then it’s good enough for me! Now scatter gunning pup fox sounds like an activity for those sorrowful beings that prefer their twig and giggleberries intertwined with other likeminded individuals carry the same appendages...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread