No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Boco] #7267289
05/18/21 09:29 PM
05/18/21 09:29 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Boco
Work enough at something you like to live comfortably provide for your family and enjoy life with your family.
If you work too much when you are young and raising a family,life will pass you by.
You have to set your priorities and take the time to enjoy life and smell the roses as they say.
Excess money and things is irrelevant and is not the same as living life to the fullest.

Well said, Boco.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: trapdog1] #7267297
05/18/21 09:37 PM
05/18/21 09:37 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by Boco
Work enough at something you like to live comfortably provide for your family and enjoy life with your family.
If you work too much when you are young and raising a family,life will pass you by.
You have to set your priorities and take the time to enjoy life and smell the roses as they say.
Excess money and things is irrelevant and is not the same as living life to the fullest.

Well said, Boco.

Agreed.
Trading time for money or souls for stuff has been the Westernized mantra for centuries and that is changing was my point.
It's not laziness for the masses (there's always been sloth - it's one of the 7 original sins from ancient times) as much as many are re-evaluating life's goals.
I joke with our grown children that you know, not only did baby boomers get busy post WWII, we did invent benzodiazepines, anxiolytics, and anti-depressants to sooth the stressed out legions amongst us.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267301
05/18/21 09:42 PM
05/18/21 09:42 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I have worked to many hours over 7.5 months with out a day off some years. My kids are getting older ad and I need to be home more.

I changed departments at work it helps but I bought the farm so now an gone for vf work 14 out of 28 days working min of 12 hrs most often 16 hr days

I would love to find one of these good paying jobs with good benefits I keep hearing about within 35 min of my farm so I could be home every day.. But in 3m5 years of looking I can't find anything near Louisville that comes close to what I have. So I keep driving 2n5 hrs away to work and being gone.

Sure there are lots of 35k & under jobs with poor or no benefits. But little to nothing I can find with good benefits and 65k. Sadly that would be a major cut in pay for me but would jump on it to be home.

Good paying jobs. With good benefits. Not in my area.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267375
05/18/21 10:36 PM
05/18/21 10:36 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
Good side with worker shortage wages have gone up in our neck or the woods and some employers are paying benefits.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: ] #7267433
05/18/21 11:57 PM
05/18/21 11:57 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Originally Posted by Mark June
There is also a cultural redefining of what individual achievement and individual happiness and worth equates to.
Those who have young adults oftentimes seem frustrated "junior" doesn't seem to want for the same things mom, or dad, mom and dad, mom and mom, dad and dad, or extended family raising them wants.
Each generation views the most recent generation before them as the standard against which life's lessons seem to be built on.
My generation (American baby boomers) is the wealthiest generation in human history with no close 2nd place.
The generation the baby boomers raised is now raising the newest generation and they as a generation have witnessed firsthand that human achievement in the form of "mo money" does not bring bliss.
I don't understand it totally, but our children who are now 26 to 39 in age try to explain it to me....
Time off is key. Family time is more valuable than mo money. And on and on.
I'm not so sure it's not a pretty solid life plan. They all seem to be doing just fine.
Besides, let's be honest. Baby boomers are insanely rich by world standards and how's the peace and harmony amongst all of it? I mean, here we is.
Kum-ba-ya my Lord is just a song. Not too many looking to live it because with enough money they've decided they don't need to.

I always remember, the world didn't go to hades in a hand basket with "this" new generation! My grandpa (and yours) griped about the same thing way back when.

Blessings,
Mark

^^^^ This ^^^^
Young People now days don’t work over 40 hrs a week, they cry and complain abt a 9 hr shift.
Iv only had one 40 hr a week job in my life, worked it a month and moved on to a 60 hr a week job.
Can’t make them work if they are laying on the couch with their friends at mom and dads.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267434
05/19/21 12:00 AM
05/19/21 12:00 AM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
I keep hearing on the news abt the high paying jobs with great benefits, Havnt found one yet.
Just low wages and no benefits

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: ] #7267457
05/19/21 12:39 AM
05/19/21 12:39 AM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
There is also a cultural redefining of what individual achievement and individual happiness and worth equates to.
Those who have young adults oftentimes seem frustrated "junior" doesn't seem to want for the same things mom, or dad, mom and dad, mom and mom, dad and dad, or extended family raising them wants.
Each generation views the most recent generation before them as the standard against which life's lessons seem to be built on.
My generation (American baby boomers) is the wealthiest generation in human history with no close 2nd place.
The generation the baby boomers raised is now raising the newest generation and they as a generation have witnessed firsthand that human achievement in the form of "mo money" does not bring bliss.
I don't understand it totally, but our children who are now 26 to 39 in age try to explain it to me....
Time off is key. Family time is more valuable than mo money. And on

I'm not so sure it's not a pretty solid life plan. They all seem to be doing just fine.
Besides, let's be honest. Baby boomers are insanely rich by world standards and how's the peace and harmony amongst all of it? I mean, here we is.
Kum-ba-ya my Lord is just a song. Not too many looking to live it because with enough money they've decided they don't need to.

I always remember, the world didn't go to hades in a hand basket with "this" new generation! My grandpa (and yours) griped about the same thing way back when.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark, they are waiting to inherit the wealth we have accumulated. Lol

Last edited by newtoga; 05/19/21 12:42 AM. Reason: Left my post out

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: newtoga] #7267503
05/19/21 06:34 AM
05/19/21 06:34 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by newtoga
Time off is key. Family time is more valuable than mo money. And on

Blessings,
Mark

Mark, they are waiting to inherit the wealth we have accumulated. Lol

That may well be. Keep a sharp eye out for banana peels.

Hey, newtoga, are you still in TX? Whereabouts?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267533
05/19/21 07:21 AM
05/19/21 07:21 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I keep hearing on the news abt the high paying jobs with great benefits, Havnt found one yet.

You need to get out of the historically depressed economic zone you live in

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: danny clifton] #7267547
05/19/21 07:54 AM
05/19/21 07:54 AM
Albany, NY
B
bobsheedy Offline
trapper
bobsheedy  Offline
trapper
B

Albany, NY
Originally Posted by danny clifton

2X Someone just said that his daughter just started at $28./hr

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267554
05/19/21 08:07 AM
05/19/21 08:07 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
The town of Petoskey, Mi. held a Job Fair last week. 60 businesses had near 500 postions to fill.......four (4!) people showed up. We are screwed.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267817
05/19/21 01:52 PM
05/19/21 01:52 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Nearly every business I walk into has a help wanted sign in the window and every single plumbers or electricians van on the road has a now hiring sticker on the back or the side.

Maybe we should back off all the unemployed benefits and see what happens

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267829
05/19/21 02:03 PM
05/19/21 02:03 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

A top selling video game comes out and for a two months unemployment rises. WellI'llbedarned.
And it's not just youngsters.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: danny clifton] #7267831
05/19/21 02:09 PM
05/19/21 02:09 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton

O I have an amazing job. That's part of the problem. I can't get away from my farm and get a job closer to it at the same time?

You would think Being 35 min from down town Louisville there would be tons of good paying jobs with good benefits. It's not like I'm living in the sticks and have a 45 min drive to get to a town big enough to have a Walmart.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267840
05/19/21 02:18 PM
05/19/21 02:18 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
The current ui benefits are going to run until mid February 2022. They are not going to stop them....paying for votes, and they are trying to get the funds to keep it going past that.....8 million on it now.....most @ $1000 or more a week.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267847
05/19/21 02:26 PM
05/19/21 02:26 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Some very good perspectives on this post. I appreciate your thoughts Mark and Boco. I'm in my mid 30's with three kids and I continuously struggle with finding the balance between working hours and trying to make enough money fotr my kids to have nice things, go on vacation, etc. and yet keep family time at the top of the priority list. I know it's a cliche but how true it is that, "they grow up fast."

Mark, I think you're onto something about your thoughts on how our culture is shifting in priorities. On the whole, Americans have always put in more work hours than other developed countries around the world. Other countries take their vacation time seriously. Life is not work and work is not life for them like it is for many of us here. That said, I find it very interesting how our culture has also shifted from having one family member being the "bread winner" and the other staying home and raising the kids. Why is it that our culture shifted from one full time worker in the family fifty years ago to now it seems both parents are required to make a decent living to stay afloat. Even more peculiar now is that, as you said Mark, it appears that priorities are shifting back to family and emotional quality of life rather than financial security. Many may look at this as lazy but the truth is that it's just part of the historical cycle that humanity continues to go through.

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267852
05/19/21 02:36 PM
05/19/21 02:36 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Probably something like 1/2 the kids in the USA (my opinion, not a fact statistic) are raised in one parent homes, how are we shifting back to family values? Most of those are raised by women and they raise soy males...

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: atrapper] #7267858
05/19/21 02:49 PM
05/19/21 02:49 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by atrapper
Some very good perspectives on this post. I appreciate your thoughts Mark and Boco. I'm in my mid 30's with three kids and I continuously struggle with finding the balance between working hours and trying to make enough money fotr my kids to have nice things, go on vacation, etc. and yet keep family time at the top of the priority list. I know it's a cliche but how true it is that, "they grow up fast."

Mark, I think you're onto something about your thoughts on how our culture is shifting in priorities. On the whole, Americans have always put in more work hours than other developed countries around the world. Other countries take their vacation time seriously. Life is not work and work is not life for them like it is for many of us here. That said, I find it very interesting how our culture has also shifted from having one family member being the "bread winner" and the other staying home and raising the kids. Why is it that our culture shifted from one full time worker in the family fifty years ago to now it seems both parents are required to make a decent living to stay afloat. Even more peculiar now is that, as you said Mark, it appears that priorities are shifting back to family and emotional quality of life rather than financial security. Many may look at this as lazy but the truth is that it's just part of the historical cycle that humanity continues to go through.

And that trapper dudes and dudettes is spot on spot on.

Of course folks like me who find our self-worth wrapped in our J.O.B. would struggle with any new lifestyle that doesn't mandate "give it all ya got," "hammer down," "bring home the bacon,"working 9 to 5, it's a way to make a living," and such. Times change. People change. Goals change.

My daughter Katie, the traveling nurse works 4 x 9's and then off for three days and she is paying cash for Nurse Practitioner schooling herself. She could work 80 hours if she wanted (and her mom and I would have back in the day but our daughter (26 years old) looks around, see's the imperfect world and says, "I'm good." And she is. We learn much from our children as they do from us.

But then again, human nature is on display here and most everywhere: We like it better when people think, look, act, and smell like we do.

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267866
05/19/21 03:03 PM
05/19/21 03:03 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Younger people generally don't want to work and, I agree, a lot of older people don't want to work. Work ethic is dying in this country and a reset is required to revive it. Paying people not to work is the worst idea ever in the history of terrible ideas. Unemployment, welfare, disability benefits are all designed to reward laziness. As for "disabled" people, I know of only a few rare examples of people that are so disabled that they cannot be employed productive members of society. I vote we cut it all off because hunger is a great motivator.

I work hard and expect my own kids to work hard. They may hate it now at times, but I work them hard and push them equally hard in school and sports. Reason? When they finally enter the workforce they are going to blow past their peers. And, I am not going to watch them lay around the house.

For example, my thirteen year old son who traps and hunts with me has never had a grade less than an A, is a pretty darn good wrestler, and takes care of our farm with me and his siblings. He will also spend part of his summer working for neighbors driving tractors and doing chores. His older sisters will join him and are equally hard working. And, they will still have plenty of time to be kids.

I can't wait to see what they do and all of their success will be because of hard work. I am however worried about how I will get everything done when they are finally gone.....

I have to get back to work and off the internet!

Re: Jobs,Jobs,Jobs [Re: Spade] #7267873
05/19/21 03:11 PM
05/19/21 03:11 PM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
They just finished a Bojangles about 20 mins from my house and I was excited that I'd be able to get a Bojangles biscuit on my way to work, well they still are not open because they can't hire any people. They are offering $17/hr but still not seeing applicants. Crazy times

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread