Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Horse hooves #7263346
05/12/21 11:51 PM
05/12/21 11:51 PM
Pennsy
E
Ed Patrick Offline OP
trapper
Ed Patrick  Offline OP
trapper
E

Pennsy
Been reading a lot about horse hooves lure. Was wondering if hooves were ground into a fine powder then added to tainted meat would the powder make a good bait additive?

Re: Horse hooves [Re: Ed Patrick] #7263924
05/14/21 12:26 AM
05/14/21 12:26 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
I’ve messed with hoove tea over the years every once in a while. I’m not impressed by it. Not at all. But if you’re going to try it, use the center of the hoof. The frog. It stinks by itself when cut out. Not sure if add it to meat. If you want to use it, use it at the set as a separate smell.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Horse hooves [Re: Ed Patrick] #7266244
05/17/21 02:24 PM
05/17/21 02:24 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
My numerous attempts with horse hoof has been similar to John's . . . until last year. I got some of the spongy frog and added some glycerin to it to keep it moist and spongy. Then I ground it fine and added to LIGHTLY tainted horse meat and it worked great. Of course, I've had great luck with just lightly tainted horse meat, but the added horse hoof seemed to give it a different zing that kept coyotes digging for it.

Re: Horse hooves [Re: Ed Patrick] #7266842
05/18/21 10:46 AM
05/18/21 10:46 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have found in my many years of trapping, formulating and testing that most anything that has a smell will create some interest to an animal. How long of an interest and how motivated it may cause an animal to react is another part of the equation.

There aren't many silver bullets out there as some would like others to believe that there are. In fact I doubt if there are any. Understanding animal behavior, traits and food preferences at different times of the year and location selections are the true silver bullets of successful trapping or hunting any animal.

Meat odors, glandular extractions and urine's will get it done every day. No magic potion needed.

Re: Horse hooves [Re: Ed Patrick] #7266865
05/18/21 11:21 AM
05/18/21 11:21 AM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline
trapper
K

PA
Your better off using deer hooves. I think the ratio was about 2 handfuls of hooves to a gallon jar. You can break them up and boil them and set them in the sun for 4 or 5 weeks or you can place them in the sun and wait a couple of months. The result is a strong smelling black liquid. It smells really bad but works really good. Its an excellent lure for canines that most people use straight or in some kind of formulation. Its also renewable, once the batch has gotten ripe enough take out what you need for the upcoming trapping season and put the exact amount of distilled, well, or rainwater back into the jar for the rest of the hot summer. Then you can put that jar away when the season comes, have your lure, and do the same thing next year. Take out what you need, add more water. Its a simple and old time lure recipe.

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Horse hooves [Re: Bob Jameson] #7267945
05/19/21 05:14 PM
05/19/21 05:14 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I have found in my many years of trapping, formulating and testing that most anything that has a smell will create some interest to an animal. How long of an interest and how motivated it may cause an animal to react is another part of the equation.

There aren't many silver bullets out there as some would like others to believe that there are. In fact I doubt if there are any. Understanding animal behavior, traits and food preferences at different times of the year and location selections are the true silver bullets of successful trapping or hunting any animal.

Meat odors, glandular extractions and urine's will get it done every day. No magic potion needed.

Not too many lure makers have said this^^^^

Much appreciation to you Bob!

Ive used your lures over the years. Good, dependable stuff!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91