No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269161
05/21/21 10:45 AM
05/21/21 10:45 AM
Utah
foxhunter52 Offline
trapper
foxhunter52  Offline
trapper

Utah
I'm ten years retired from my job of 38 years. I have a retirement and what I've been told is adequate savings to to see my wife and I through. But because I'm retired, doesn't mean I've quit working. I am probably as busy now as before I retired. But my work has changed. I spend more time with family. I am able to spend more time helping friends and neighbors and working in the community. My yard and garden have never looked better. I feel part of my new work is keeping myself fit. I have more time for things I really love doing, hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, a little golf. Because you retire shouldn't mean your out to pasture, waiting for the rest home. But I also believe, if you love your job and are happy with your life the way it is, why retire?

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269163
05/21/21 10:46 AM
05/21/21 10:46 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
It’s the point when you quit trading your life in exchange for wants and needs.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269173
05/21/21 10:55 AM
05/21/21 10:55 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I would say Americans realize that they need to pass on their responsibility to the next generation at some point.

I think it is much a result of the industrial age and industrialization of our culture.

however even prior to the industrial revolution , farmers would pass on the responsibilities of their farm to their children. as a man was accepting the physical limitations of age he was grooming his son(s), nephew or possibly grandson to take over his duties first physically then the decisions that needed to to go with the labor. so that as he was rounding out his final years he was an elder advisor who could be asked for their input and wisdom but when he passed his legacy was with his Heir , no power vacuum.

with the industrial revolution and not working for yourself or your family people much like serving their time like in the armed forces , did their duty to serving the company , the industry , their co-workers and passed on their duties before they died at their station one day.

it is some what our productivity model , face it we may be wise and know our job inside and out and find our efficiency in the knowledge but at some point in age we spend more and more time at the clinic dealing with our age and worn out body parts.

there is also as a result of the industrial revolution , the new deal helped with the idea of be a good productive American till an age X be it 60 ,62 , 65 , 67. giving people a reasonable end date lets them work hard till the get there knowing they can take it easy at that point.

yes that number was set so that it was very close to life expectancy , the average number of SS checks received used to be 9 I think it has gone up some , but you used to leave the line at say GM go home and take it easy and your heart attack killed you in just under a year.

not for everyone but for enough people.

there was a Chrysler worker interviewed several years back , he was 90 something and collecting his pension still he had worked for the plant 30 years and had been retired 35 most people don't live that long.

yes some of it is to get old workers out of the work force , some is to give people the set end of do this for X long and you can have the promise of retirement

we should all live every day enjoying it but that isn't the case for many they work a job they hate , you can see signs of the lack of moral when they are giving themselves and others the pep talk of Hump day , Pre Friday and a celebratory we made it to Friday. they Live for the weekend , 2 days to them then dread of Monday. they are probably also counting the days till they hit the magic 30 years and they have a promise of a forever weekend with some stability , health care , some income.

we do need to enjoy the journey

It's Friday , if you wonder were the week went you probably lived the journey

if it seemed like Monday was forever ago and the week dragged on your probably looking for the finish line.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #7269175
05/21/21 10:58 AM
05/21/21 10:58 AM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Americans love freedom, at that point in life when your time isn't for sale anymore, when you reach that day of your time being your own, that's real freedom.

One and done.

This is your answer.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: T-Rex] #7269185
05/21/21 11:05 AM
05/21/21 11:05 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by T-Rex
Think of it as the sabbath. Instead of working 6 days and resting on the seventh; you work 60years and take 10 off.

In reality, though, it is a government conspiracy. It was a bribe for older workers to step down to make room for younger ones. A brand new concept from the mid 20th Century.

Not really a bribe but a selling point so the government could capture money from individuals they figured would die before they collected a small portion of it back.

-Goofy-
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269187
05/21/21 11:06 AM
05/21/21 11:06 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
D'Jaba would already know the answers to his questions if he had worked for someone else all his life.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269195
05/21/21 11:14 AM
05/21/21 11:14 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Retired from the railroad allows me to work with and help my community .

Kenneth schoening
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269198
05/21/21 11:21 AM
05/21/21 11:21 AM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
I loved my job, but they made it to easy to retire at 55 ( full pension and medical) since then I have worked 4 different jobs, worked a couple summers for computer hater, a merchandiser, in a box plant and construction. I liked all of those jobs and would work any of them again. Did I need to work “no” but I liked having something to do” a purpose”. I watched too many friends and colleagues retire early and sit around and die.I haven’t worked for 10 months and am getting antsy to go back to work.
Mark I think in your fellow students country the people like having a purpose and they keep on doing life. Also they don’t have the option of retirement, so they don’t understand retirement.
The thing about retirement is you can get a new job and quit anytime to do something else or : trap,hunt or fish if you want.

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269203
05/21/21 11:35 AM
05/21/21 11:35 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Years ago I over heard PA.Trapper Sumper say

" This aint no trial run.You got only one life to live"

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269215
05/21/21 12:00 PM
05/21/21 12:00 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
I think americans do put emphasis on our destination, but retiring is a tuff part of our journey. Similar to planing a hunt in Alaska or sky diving ect. we put emphasis on that as well, but it's all part of the journey as well. So it is a major accomplishment in our journey.on earth. Retiring for many is the most exciting thing they've done others not as.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: Law Dog] #7269217
05/21/21 12:09 PM
05/21/21 12:09 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Spent the last several weeks turkey hunting I have been on call for the last 35 years no way I could do that before. Like said I gave my employers 100% but it always came down to this you can work 60 hours a week no problem but try to work 39 hours and your filling out paperwork looking for approvals then.

If you die today you will be replaced shortly down the road, way to many people live for the almighty dollar they are so stuck but won’t admit it, afraid to be on their own in the world.

That last part about being replaced is as true as it gets. Ive had moments in my job that i think “man this job is important and i do this better than a lot of people and i am important”. That is all crap. Not one person on here isnt replaceable and in most jobs, someone is just waiting for you to leave so they can take your spot. Im growing to not care for my job much at all. Schedule and freedom are great though. Ill stick it out until i get that pension, which wont be enough to live off of and ill have to get something else to supplement. So to me, retirement is gonna be like starting right out if school. I wont make much money and the budget will be a lot tighter. I take every opportunity i can to talk young people out of goin into the career i chose.
Shouldve been a college baseball coach. Ever seen how old some college coaches are? Thats by their choice because they love what they do.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269218
05/21/21 12:12 PM
05/21/21 12:12 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
It is all about being in control of my time. I will retire next year. Ready but also a change in retirement benefits would cost me $100,00.00 in health benefits. If I do not retire I lose it. So I will be busy but on my schedule. I will be the best Mr. Phelps I can be to Mrs. Phelps she is my partner in everything and needs to come first for a change. I will sub at school, Was recently elected to town board, still coach softball and work with young future pitchers. OF course get to trap and hunt not as a fourth or fifth place thing.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269248
05/21/21 12:54 PM
05/21/21 12:54 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I don’t know anything about the people of Gabon, but I’m pretty sure when a teenage Masai boy used to look forward to the day the MEN of the village would take him out to hunt lion with a spear to join the club and prove that now he is a man too, that was a “ port of call or destination “. Or the rituals of permanent scarring at a certain age, won’t get into the details of that one! Just like a nation or people can’t worry about environmental health and clean water and air unless there is surplus wealth. I imagine its real hard to think about goofing off 10, 20 years from now when you’re more concerned about whether you have enough to eat at the end of the week.
Just my $.02

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #7269250
05/21/21 12:55 PM
05/21/21 12:55 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Americans love freedom, at that point in life when your time isn't for sale anymore, when you reach that day of your time being your own, that's real freedom.

Hoo-Rah!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269256
05/21/21 01:06 PM
05/21/21 01:06 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Few people on their deathbed ever wish that they could have spent more time at work.

I had a good job that I liked, did it for nearly 37 years. Quit when I was 54.5. At the end of the day, you’re selling of your chunks of your life to an employer, two weeks at a time. My time is my own now, and am free to do as I please for the rest of my days.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269280
05/21/21 01:27 PM
05/21/21 01:27 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
didn't read through the whole thread yet (I will); but I'm close to retiring and looking forward to it.

for me (and others, I see)...it's about Freedom. It's about spending our remaining years doing what we WANT to do, instead of what we HAVE to do.

and quite frankly, I'm tired of putting up with the bs from people who haven't paid their dues "in the field", but got promoted because they are "Yes" men (and women).

and; I got a new grandson across the state...reason enough for me.

Last edited by white marlin; 05/21/21 03:14 PM.
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269290
05/21/21 01:42 PM
05/21/21 01:42 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Mark, you cannot compare an apple and an orange except they are both fruit and a carb,

So I attend courses with a very intelligent gentlemen, D'Jaba from the east coast of Africa, whose village saved for four years to send him to American seminary. He's a very smart man. Very articulate speaker! Very. He's also a retired attorney in Gabon, his home in East Africa. He's probably 66 to 70 years old.

A village had to save 4 years to send an attorney to Seminary school. That would not happen in America. You cannot compare a third world country with a minimal economy to understanding our forma of capitalism and work effort. I have been in over 50 countries most of them 3rd world. Most third world countries do not have the economies to support a SSN system and retirement (meager).

The bigger problem is American do not understand 3rd world economies, governments or their issues. What I have seen is being able to survive in a third world country is a day to day struggle, just to eat and survive. We "ugly Americans" do not understand that. We all hit the lottery being born here. so his answer is simple.

Why do so many people want to migrate to the USA? is it just so they can retire some day? i do not see many Americans standing in line to go live in 3rd world undeveloped nations. What would Jesus think. of America, would he look at it as Rome, with privledged citizen, with rights and standards of living above a bedowan with a couple of camel living in a tent without running water.

One thing most people in third world nations do have over us and that is time to think. How many attorneys do you know, need a village to send him to seminary school.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269294
05/21/21 01:56 PM
05/21/21 01:56 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
I didn't read any of the responses and don't have exact answer , but consider this

I think the good Lord instructed us to work and work more than most Americans care to

His plan for man included an end game in heaven not a plan to lay up treasure for thy self .

I'm not saying anyone who works hard to quit working shouldn't , I'm just saying these are things to think about .

Report a post club - Non member

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269308
05/21/21 02:14 PM
05/21/21 02:14 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
because most Americans are lazy and want to get/stay fat and content while sitting on the couch and eating cheetos...like dipstick.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269333
05/21/21 03:06 PM
05/21/21 03:06 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Why do “Americans” look forward to retirement?

Why would anyone want to work until they die?

What are we actually calling “work”? Is work your “job” or are we referring to “work” as staying busy after retirement?

And I guess we need to know what is meant by “retirement”? Apparently my definition is different from some on here.

To ME, retirement is getting the allotted time approved by my company to be able to quit and take their pension and not have to report in every day.

Did I “pick” this job when I was a child? Nope, never crossed my mind. Learned a little something with Uncle Sam that just happened to qualify me for my present job. Present job is a very decent job that’s allowed me to buy my own home, raise a family, buy multiple vehicles for wife and family, and offers a decent pension and contributes to my 401K. I’m able to take trips during vacation times I’m able to pick with my present job. I’m basically able to do most anything I want financially.

Now, if I’m able to do the things I want financially if I didn’t work, why would I work? Retirement is putting in that time, saving that money (while still enjoying life), and hopefully one day get up when I want, take trips when I want, and only have the house “boss” to answer to.

Now, I do have plans for when I retire. I’m not one to “waste away” on a couch. In fact, every boss I’ve had says I’m the only employee that ever comes off vacation that needs a vacation to recover, lol. Imagine the money that could be made by being able to run 2-3 farms trapping when that’s all you have to do! Imagine how many turkey trips that would pay for without even touching your retirement money! Imagine the time you could spend with kids and grandkids. Imagine the time you devote to your community or church.

Some might say you could still do that while working, but if so something is going to be left out. Not enough time working 40-60hrs a week, unless you’re trying to kill yourself at a young age.

I’m working towards retirement and will be dang proud of myself when I reach that milestone.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread