No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
South Texas/Rio Grande Valley hunting/trapping #7270034
05/22/21 12:49 PM
05/22/21 12:49 PM
Nebraska
T
trapperrev Offline OP
trapper
trapperrev  Offline OP
trapper
T

Nebraska
Wondering if anyone here is familiar with or from the Rio Grande Valley.
My in-laws live in Mercedes but they have no connections and have no clue about hunting, trapping, fishing... the outdoors...
We've went down before but I've never been clear on species population densities or which direction to head to knock on doors and we're only there for about 6 days at a time.
Texas is accessible in that you can get a non resident 5 day permit for about $50 that allows hunting take of most animals except for their big money makers (deer, turkey, etc.) However, land access is difficult.

I can't afford/ have no interest in a guided hunt or ranch with a per animal fee.
Public land is either for small game or difficult to draw hunts only open for a small window of time.
I expect there are private landowners around with feral hog populations that are causing problems or wouldn't mind javalina hunting, but I don't know how far from the Valley I'd need to go to hope for reasonable success. I'm looking for anything I can't find in Nebraska... armadillo, rattlesnake... I know alligator and nilgai are around and I expect access them to be difficult, but I thought a shot in the dark here couldn't hurt.

Just looking for advice on making connections.

Re: South Texas/Rio Grande Valley hunting/trapping [Re: trapperrev] #7270041
05/22/21 01:01 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
If you are hunting on private land, you do not need a permit if you are hunting hogs or animals like nilgai. There are places to hunt, buy unless you live here and they trust you or know someone, you are going to have to pay. The ranchers don't mind the hunting, it's the risk of being sued.
Every year Texas Parks and Wildlife offers raffles that you may want to consider.

Re: South Texas/Rio Grande Valley hunting/trapping [Re: trapperrev] #7270042
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I think RGV is little bit west of any gators. Nilgai probably on the ranches in the hill county. Hmmmm?
Just did a quick search, there ARE gators in the RGV about a hundred and ten! Right along the coast.
Nilgai are considered exotic big game. I’m sure you can find a ranch doing a cull hunt $$$. Public land? Doubt it.

Last edited by cmcf; 05/22/21 01:14 PM.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: South Texas/Rio Grande Valley hunting/trapping [Re: trapperrev] #7270055
05/22/21 01:34 PM
05/22/21 01:34 PM
Nebraska
T
trapperrev Offline OP
trapper
trapperrev  Offline OP
trapper
T

Nebraska
Thanks.
cmcf, it sounds like there are some gators by Brownsville but I don't think the locals want them touched much because there aren't many. That's understandable. From what I've read, they're all along the cost until about Corpus, then not so much south after that, except for a few by Brownsville.

Nilgai - there is a draw permit for deer at the Atascosa national refuge that's in the valley and nilgai and hogs can be taken as well. It's possible, but I doubt nilgai are only on the refuge. For that draw permit - for the last season over 3000 people put in for 140 permits. That's firearm. Archery has better odds. However, the dates for those are specific dates in November, December and January - not when I can get away easily.

A big part of the reason I'd like to hunt is supposedly hogs and sometimes nilgai can be hard on farming and ranching. If it helps someone out, I'd like to help. If they get big business out of it, then they can enjoy their business and marketing and best of luck to them.

jtg, I think I would still need a permit to hunt exotics. I'm not certain, but I think hogs are the only thing I wouldn't need a permit for as long as it's private land.
I completely understand the concern of liability and trust. However, I'm hoping that I can make connections with someone there to build on in the future. I know it's unlikely but a guy can hope.

Re: South Texas/Rio Grande Valley hunting/trapping [Re: trapperrev] #7270095
05/22/21 02:58 PM
05/22/21 02:58 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Right on. You sound like the kind of guy that will be successful in making acquaintance/ relationships that will bear fruit in the future. I currently live in Wyoming but my roots are in Texas. Was at a rifle range near Houston testing loads to be used on an upcoming elk hunt with my nephew. A fellow came up to us when we were finishing up and said he had been watching us shoot. Said he had several thousand acres and the feral hogs were giving him fits. He invited us right there on the spot to come to his ranch and kill as many hogs as possible.
So you never know you may find someone that is more concerned with ADC than trying to soak a “tourist “ out of a couple hundred bucks for killing a stinking old hog that he needed gone anyway! This may rub some ADC guys
the wrong way, and I definitely comprende. Educating the pigs and all, making them harder to trap ect.. but hogs are like coyote, once they get established you will never exterminate them. Not with anything legal anyway.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: South Texas/Rio Grande Valley hunting/trapping [Re: trapperrev] #7270125
05/22/21 03:42 PM
05/22/21 03:42 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Does that permit cover illegals?