No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cancer, please read #7270090
05/22/21 02:47 PM
05/22/21 02:47 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
First off, I’m not writing this up to gain sympathy or try to start a pity party for myself. I’m writing this up in hopes that someone will read it, heed my advice, maybe tell some friends to do the same. If one person reads it and discovers they have the same issue and gets medical care, it’ll be worth it to me

On April 7th, i was in a hot shower and decided to do a self testicular exam. Something seemed off, some asymmetry on one side, felt like a lima bean attached to a plum to be completely honest. I called my GP and she just scheduled me an ultrasound. A few days later I was resting on the table while the ultrasound tech took a few pictures and a few hours later it was determined I had a mass, and was promptly scheduled with a urologist. The diagnosis was 90% chance it was cancerous. They then scheduled a chest x-ray and cat scan. Testicular cancer typically moves to your lungs or pelvic bones first apparently. The chest x-ray was clear but the cat scan showed two bone islands that had the potential of being osteosarcomas. They then did an MRI to get a much closer look and it was determined the bone islands were just dense calcium deposits, likely from old micro fracture injuries. (not surprising given my strong history of falling down).

Yesterday I had an orchiectomy, yep, the whole thing was plucked out. Some people may laugh and make a uni-ball joke at my expense, but frankly, I could care less. That’s the beauty of a cancer diagnosis. Your capacity to care about what other people think goes out the window. I prefer Team Uno myself. Now I am waiting on pathology results, I elected to have it removed prior to biopsy given that less than 10% of testicular masses are benign and it was obvious that 3/4 of it was eaten up by the tumor from the ultrasound.

So spare me your uni-ball jokes. I don’t need a pity party. I don’t have a go fund me page. Just google how to do a self exam and do one in a hot shower, then go to the doctor if something is amiss. Then tell your son, brother etc to do the same. Men don’t talk about issues in their nether regions, but we need to. I didn’t want to write this post but over the last 6 weeks it’s become apparent to me that it needs to be talked about. It is the most common cancer for men aged 15-35 and I only know of one other guy that has had it. I’m 35, so don’t think if you are older you are out of the woods on risk, that’s just the most common age range. The mortality rate is near zero when caught prior to metastasis. I feel lucky at this point, there are much worse types of cancer to have and other people have it way worse than me. All my blood tests and body scans have been nothing but positive in terms of no evidence of metastasis. I feel fortunate right now but also want others to know. It’s a serious issue if you don’t seek medical treatment. You don’t lose your manhood. You still have the other one to father children and produce testosterone.

That’s all, give the ol plums a tussle in a hot shower tonight.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270096
05/22/21 02:58 PM
05/22/21 02:58 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Hang in there.

My youngest son (at 21) had same cancer. Had testicle removed. More tests showed spots on lungs. He underwent chemo.......several infusions over many weeks. He struggled but handled it like a champ. Lost hair and sick. Handled all much better than Dad would have. Lungs spots disappeared. Thank God he is still cancer free.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7270099
05/22/21 03:03 PM
05/22/21 03:03 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
Thanks for sharing your story Swampwolf, amazing outcome even with the chemo. If you don’t mind me asking, how did he discover it? And how long has he been cancer free now?

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270101
05/22/21 03:08 PM
05/22/21 03:08 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
PSA appreciated cancer is nothing to joke about. Had a friend long ago who’s brother went through about the same as you he caught it soon enough, happy endings.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270102
05/22/21 03:09 PM
05/22/21 03:09 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Cancer sucks! Mother lived in fear of it having lost her mother to breast cancer. She checked herself regularly had regular mammograms, ate right did everything she was supposed to and it still got her in the form of pancreatic. I hate cancer!
Come to find out breast and pancreatic share the same gene thanks to my first cousin who just had a double mastectomy at the same time her brother was also diagnosed with cancer.

It'll probably take me out as well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270112
05/22/21 03:25 PM
05/22/21 03:25 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
There are no jokes to be told about this. It's serious and I hope the best for you.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270119
05/22/21 03:40 PM
05/22/21 03:40 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
He trying to lighten the mood playing with yourself in the shower may have just saved your life !!!!!
But hang in their sounds like the prognosses is good. !! One question are you going to have a silicone implant? Friend of mine had the same thing and they put plastic testicles in to fill the void.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: jbyrd63] #7270129
05/22/21 03:52 PM
05/22/21 03:52 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
He trying to lighten the mood playing with yourself in the shower may have just saved your life !!!!!
But hang in their sounds like the prognosses is good. !! One question are you going to have a silicone implant? Friend of mine had the same thing and they put plastic testicles in to fill the void.

I elected to not go with the prosthetic, didn’t see the point. At my age, I got nothing left to prove. Looking forward to the extra space. The middle seat on an airplane will be that much more comfortable now and I can start wearing tight wranglers with increased comfort.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270131
05/22/21 03:58 PM
05/22/21 03:58 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Less crotch rot in the heat, maybe. LOL

Seriously, great attitude to have about it.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270137
05/22/21 04:04 PM
05/22/21 04:04 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
RockCrick, you’re more man than most because of your willingness to talk about this. Keep that head high and thank you.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270139
05/22/21 04:09 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Speedy recovery Prayers. Cancer is no joke. Thank you for sharing.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270140
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Several years ago, one of the twins got sick and was removed due to Agent Orange issues, did Chemo and am OK now. The stupid jokes are mostly an attempt to help you deal with it, but I didn't appreciate them either. Self exams, Colonoscopy's, VACINATIONS etc can keep you alive. Cancer is a very hard way to die.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270145
05/22/21 04:16 PM
05/22/21 04:16 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Wow what a journey. I'm glad you're on the mend.
I've known a buddy with it. He got it in high school.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270153
05/22/21 04:23 PM
05/22/21 04:23 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I had surgery for testicular cancer in 2006. I was 34 at the time. Mine was caught on a fluke as I had been having issues with the other one due to having hernia surgery on that side. That one swelled up and was painful. They think there's some scar tissue there. I went in for that pain and they scheduled an ultra sound which of course they scan both testicles and I had a spot inside of the testicle on the normal one. Cancer is supposed to be on the outside as a mass. They told me to come back in 6 months and have another scan done. Well I felt fine and kinda blew it off and wasn't sure if I was going to go back. I got reminded by my wife to go back for a scan so I go in and get it done. The ultra sound guy was taking longer than before and turns out there was a reason. I still had no outside lump on the testicle. I go home and get a call a couple days later to set up an appointment to go see a urologist in Lacrosse. When I went there my Dr. had my results and he said there was a change in between the ultra sounds, I now had 3 spots all internal and at opposite ends. I asked if it would be cancer and he said he doubted it and called in another older Dr. that had looked at my results as well. Both thought it would not be cancer but recommended it be removed.

Surgery day came and the nut was removed along with the cord and lymph nodes. A full week goes by and I had a message on my answering machine from my Dr. to call him back. When I did, he kinda hymned and hawed then said we got your results and I'm sorry to tell you it's cancerous. Then he said in all the years here between the Drs. they hadn't had a testicular cancer case that didn't have an outward sign. Then it was time to set up my radiation treatments which amounted to 17 trips to Lacrosse. Everything's been fine since and it hasn't returned. Follow up trips for scans and blood work are no longer required. It started out as every 3 months for a few years then every 6 months then annually until year 10. No reason to go after that.

All guys should check em and if you've got kids tell them what can possibly happen. Both the OP and I were on the older end of getting this. It's more common in teenagers through the 20's. Cancer's never a laughing matter. This cancer is very curable if caught early just don't dink around and wait to go to the Dr. cause you think it's nothing or you're too tough for someone to scope out the twig and berries.

BTW I had an implant put in. I didn't want to be lopsided. grin laugh

Sorry about the long post but maybe it'll help someone out. Thanks RockCrick for starting the thread.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270177
05/22/21 05:03 PM
05/22/21 05:03 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
God be with you.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270187
05/22/21 05:19 PM
05/22/21 05:19 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I am one lucky dude. My primary doctor was concerned about something and ordered an ultra sound exam right in his office. The girl doing the scan spent a long time in on area. She was scanning my right kidney, which had a carcinoma. Never had any symptoms. Doctor then scheduled a colon exam and is showed a cancerous spot. Colon surgeon and Urologist got together and advised that the colon surgery should be first because it grows much faster. Lost some colon but 19 lymph glands were all negative. Stage 1, no treatment required. Six weeks later my right kidney was removed. Again Stage 1 and no treatment required. Dodged two bullets.

I owe my good fortune to an annual Medicare exam and a caring doctor. Last year I had a large hernia repair where the colon surgery was preformed. This year I decided to have gastric sleeve surgery to get my weight, blood pressure, and kidney numbers under control. Have normal kidney test now and cut out a few meds. BP is well controlled with half the medicine I was taking.

Why am I telling this? Because early detection saved me from two cancers that were growing inside of me. The gastric surgery is saving my remaining kidney from dialysis and preventing diabetes, we hope.

We on Trapperman have said some harsh things about the medical community and their recommendations for our good health. Please trust you doctor’s training, education, and long hours. They can save our lives sometimes. Follow their advice when test are needed.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: Badger23] #7270190
05/22/21 05:29 PM
05/22/21 05:29 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
I'd just throw in here that, having had a Vasectomy, at around my early twenties; Couple of times since I've had Doctors getting familiar with my bits. Both Times they said like, " Oh. Hullo ..... "

First time sent me into a spiralling nightmare, as I awaited Ultrasounds, results, etc.

Second time? Different Doc. He's like; " Oh. Hullo ..... There's Something there. " And I'm: " Yeah. That's okay, Doc'. It's scar tissue from my vasectomy smile " And everyone starts breathing normally again! grin

But, here's My point: I can go over my bits with a fine toothed comb. Darned if I can Ever find what They felt!

So, the clear message is, gentlemen; If YOU can feel it? Share That Concern!

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270210
05/22/21 05:50 PM
05/22/21 05:50 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
A friend of mine lost his nephew many years ago at only 19 years old. Detected it too late, dead the next week. Good luck with your recovery, Rock.
I had recurring pain in the right one years ago. I think if was more paranoia than anything. Doc said just a varicose vein, and that cancer is a younger man's disease. Haven't had pain since. Funny what a clean bill of health will do to your psyche.

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: RockCrick] #7270220
05/22/21 06:13 PM
05/22/21 06:13 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Yea I had tons of swelling when I had 3 hernias fixed in March. They ultrasounded my fellows and all was well. Dang gorgeous blonde rubbing jelly lube on my junk!! But no woody to be found too much pain from the swelling LOL

Re: Cancer, please read [Re: Brian Mongeau] #7270223
05/22/21 06:20 PM
05/22/21 06:20 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau
A friend of mine lost his nephew many years ago at only 19 years old. Detected it too late, dead the next week. Good luck with your recovery, Rock.
I had recurring pain in the right one years ago. I think if was more paranoia than anything. Doc said just a varicose vein, and that cancer is a younger man's disease. Haven't had pain since. Funny what a clean bill of health will do to your psyche.

Sad story about your friends nephew, I guess that’s why I wanted to make this post to bring something to light and maybe others will catch something early. Thanks for sharing the bad outcomes as others have shared good outcomes. I sincerely hope your friend and his family have been able to cope and heal from such a horrible situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread