No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270669
05/23/21 01:47 PM
05/23/21 01:47 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Mac did you add to my text? All good! whistle

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Law Dog] #7270670
05/23/21 01:52 PM
05/23/21 01:52 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by hippie
After taking the first swing... laugh

Now take some time to reflect on that. wink

Not taking the first swing is what it says. LOL

I was referring to you taking the first swing at certain people, instead of the whole of the subject.

Hence the "first swing you don't take".

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270674
05/23/21 02:04 PM
05/23/21 02:04 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Taking the first swing “creates a problem” in juvenile corrections and LE you won’t last long doing that is the reason that its ingrained in me you react to the problem rather then taking it personal once it becomes personal your losing ground quickly.

Hired a lot of adults that were not mature enough to work with kids they reacted to the children like the children at their level, it was shocking to hear the words, “ he started it” rather then working the problem out like a adult would the ways you would think they would. LOL

Last edited by Law Dog; 05/23/21 03:53 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270698
05/23/21 03:06 PM
05/23/21 03:06 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
People no longer take time to think logically in the present let alone reflect on the past.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270851
05/23/21 06:41 PM
05/23/21 06:41 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Yes to the OP. I agree that quality storytelling is a vanishing concept in the USA.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271121
05/24/21 02:58 AM
05/24/21 02:58 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
As a professional story-teller, all I can say is hear, hear.

I often don't agree with you Lawdog (and I don't take it personally), but that was a good post.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271147
05/24/21 06:20 AM
05/24/21 06:20 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

What got me thinking about the topic is the theological reflection techniques we're being training in here at seminary. The professors agree that as each decade goes by, the written submissions get shorter from more of the students and there's consensus there's also a lowering of the ability to simply listen, observe, and document a situation as a case study, which requires intense listening skills focused at attempting to learn what is going on.

I wonder if the medical field (and others) are witnessing the same thing?

Storytelling about others requires the ability to reflect on the overall situation versus a rush to judgment.
We're taught that a shorter paper being submitted in a case study is fine if the relevant refections and witness are being documented accurately. Short and sweet is ok if the case is short and sweet.
We're warned against the pattern that has been occurring during the decades long careers of these teachers of the faith which seems to be more along the lines of a rush to generalizations (personal positioning) and judgment (opinion) in the papers being submitted.

There is little to no reflection in a story when you assume you already have ALL the answers a brief way into it.
That's not reflection we're taught.

I tell my professors I train with the best of them who keep me humble and reflective each and every day. Coyotes. No two the same. The more I generalize them, the more get away untrapped!
laugh. My profs get a kick outta me for sure. Us trappers are hard to reflect upon. Well some of us anyway.

Appreciate the thoughts y'all.
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Law Dog] #7271155
05/24/21 06:41 AM
05/24/21 06:41 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
some call themselves Christians even though they don’t practice the ways of that claim.

kind of curious why you singled Christians out.

as humans, we are sinful. I *strive* to live a better life, but I fail often...sometimes, miserably so. I've been mean and hateful to at least a few here. But I do recognize and pray for forgiveness for that.

I'll bet if you looked harder, you'd find failed devotees in EVERY religion...even Human Secularism.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271180
05/24/21 07:43 AM
05/24/21 07:43 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If someone does not agree with whatever position you take and argument you make, I dont think its necessarily an inability to reflect, no matter how well thought out your argument is.

The art of story telling is diminished. I blame that on TV and radio. People dont gather of an evening and family members entertain each other anymore.

TV Radio Video Games, IMO have really changed the way human minds process. Good or bad its to early to say.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: white marlin] #7271195
05/24/21 08:36 AM
05/24/21 08:36 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by white marlin
some call themselves Christians even though they don’t practice the ways of that claim.

kind of curious why you singled Christians out.

as humans, we are sinful. I *strive* to live a better life, but I fail often...sometimes, miserably so. I've been mean and hateful to at least a few here. But I do recognize and pray for forgiveness for that.

I'll bet if you looked harder, you'd find failed devotees in EVERY religion...even Human Secularism.

Being a Christian myself I don’t pretend to be what I’m not and like you I strive to be a better person every day my policy is hurt no one and let no one hurt others or me. I see many saying one thing and doing another often the Christian part they are trying to sell to others their actions don’t match their words is why it came up that way. In contrast there are a lot of great folks on here you have no clue what they believe in but seem to be good folks and walk the walk.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271241
05/24/21 09:39 AM
05/24/21 09:39 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Too many devices, not enough campfires.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271252
05/24/21 09:52 AM
05/24/21 09:52 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
mostly people don't want to take responsibility for their words, their action , their work .

if they didn't get called out on it they certainly are not going to call them selves out on it.

the wife and I pre covid worked or ran a number of events , driving home was a time to assess what went well , what could we change , notes were taken

there was an interview with a Navy Seal team cheif soemone posted here a few weeks back, he had some very good words of wisdom for his New LT , "I don't care how you cover it up in the paper work , we OWN or *poop* here among the men , every mistake we own it , and we address, it so that we can learn form it. If we ignore it or try and cover it up then we don't learn."

that is what needs to be understood , your team needs to own everything it can remain among your team but you need to own it. be it you as a one person team , you and your spouse , your family , work. own it

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 05/24/21 09:55 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271267
05/24/21 10:13 AM
05/24/21 10:13 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I think if history was taught more, people would reflect more.

I'll often shut the boat motor down while running traps and just let the current take me, nice and quiet. I remember telling a fellow member here about floating past a locally known area that was an Indian settlement. This place I often see white squirrels and have for years. Not sure why they pop up in this particular area, but every couple years, ill spot one.

This gets me to thinking about what the Indians thought when they saw one, an ancestors spirit maybe? The movie about a white Buffalo gave me that line of thinking.

Anyhow, out in nature is when I get to reflecting and history along those lines is where most of my reflecting heads. I don't really Consider thinking about current problems as "reflecting".

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271275
05/24/21 10:19 AM
05/24/21 10:19 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I'll often shut the boat motor down while running traps and just let the current take me, nice and quiet

Me too. I feel sorry for people that don't get that

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271309
05/24/21 11:43 AM
05/24/21 11:43 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Electric communications is a part of the problem today so many things are lost and the meanings distorted with the lack mannerisms, voice inflection and facial expressions that often define a message more the words alone. Just by listening to a known voice I can hear a change in their stress level without them even asking for any help I’m already on my way to them.

You can type all day with a sincere smile on your face and still tick someone off it seems like.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271352
05/24/21 01:07 PM
05/24/21 01:07 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Mark I think a lot of things have changed since you and I were young. Back then our families, our schools, and our churches taught us to to critically think and solve our own problems.

Who is doing that now? I think w/o we are raising generations of sheep who never realize they will be led to slaughter

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271368
05/24/21 01:39 PM
05/24/21 01:39 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
They don’t tell the newer generations “NO” they have no reason to figure problems out for themselves often.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271373
05/24/21 01:45 PM
05/24/21 01:45 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Once upon a time what people revealed to us mattered. Its not that we don't reflect, its just that the only reflection that we pay any attention to is our own and immediately fall in love with our wonderful selves, lol.
As far as the Christians carrying some blame when not reflecting what a Christian looks like, we should be blamed. I think it fits with scripture that when those who know to do good and don't its more of a shame than when those who know no better do those things. Same thing for lawmen, teachers or any other group to be looked up to. Do as I say and not as I do just doesn't impress young minds.
When young minds ask too many questions and are very annoying, attention deficit is diagnosed and Ritalin prescribed and all live happily ever after.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271375
05/24/21 01:47 PM
05/24/21 01:47 PM
Indiana
C
concrete man Offline
trapper
concrete man  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
There is no pride or shame or work ethic in alot of kids not all alot of the parents and grandparents on this site are instilling these in general most are not .

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7271381
05/24/21 02:08 PM
05/24/21 02:08 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I see the tricked out trucks some of the kids drive here in high school now that don’t even have jobs and I shake my head, I did not own a truck like that until I worked several years. LOL Little is earned today that is some of the problem I believe.

Jerry Herbst
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread