No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: check those trailer bearings [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7277678
06/01/21 10:29 PM
06/01/21 10:29 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Great thread GREENCOUNTYPETE. Totally agree and bearing buddies aren’t foolproof.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: check those trailer bearings [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7277870
06/02/21 08:22 AM
06/02/21 08:22 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

this one did have the bearing buddy grease hubs , it also had the inside seal go bad , you were just adding good grease to bad grease and it was flinging it out the back side and letting water in

even with the grease-able bearing caps , you should check them sometimes.

Bearing Buddies aren't made for adding grease all the time, that's what causes the seal to blow out, all that grease has to go somewhere. They make flow thru hubs that allow the new grease to force the old grease out for those that like to top them off.

Re: check those trailer bearings [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7277882
06/02/21 08:35 AM
06/02/21 08:35 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was actually wondering about the Bearing Buddies they seem like a good idea but in many cases may be a solution looking for a problem or a only partial solution

I remember being told in auto shop there was no need to pack the whole rotor full of grease just pack the bearings well and you will make your next brake job just fine.

I just replaced the first sealed wheel hub on the 2000 expedition at 140K

because as you point out unless you have grease exiting the seal you don't get grease to the inside bearing

getting the outside is good , but only half of what needs done.

a well greased and well sealed bearing will go 50K easy enough I never replaced a bearing in my fords with the tri-beam front axle just repack them when I did the brakes

my 2001 E350 van went 88K on the first set of brakes , lots of driving not so much stopping

keeping water intrusion out and getting them packed well every 30K or 3 years is probably enough. however you don't know when your going to get water intrusion so at least checking them more often can save expense

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread