No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7280043
06/05/21 02:22 PM
06/05/21 02:22 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
So it sounds many believe if you are horrible person but have faith you will get to heaven faster than a person who is really a good person here on earth but doesn’t have faith. Didn’t many of the mafia figures of yore that killed people have faith in God. I know several that donated large sums of money to the Catholic Church when I grew up in Pittsburgh. Terrorists have faith that their god exists but kill people.

If you can earn your salvation by your good works, then God owes you something.....your salvation. God owes nobody anything. Further, if you could earn your salvation by your good works, there was no need for Jesus to die on the cross.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280070
06/05/21 03:01 PM
06/05/21 03:01 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Sorry, but after 4 pages of this I have to throw in.

For me, after 18 years being raised as a Catholic, but never really adhering, I kept the big message of doing the right things all of my life. 40 years later, with my brother who had turned deep baptist because of his wife... who was born lutheran but chose to be baptist, I learned that my mother, my father and every person I respected that we knew in common would burn in He!! because we hadn't fully accepted the body of Christ.

I told my brother that I would rather take my chances with the people I respected in the fires below than spend a promised eternity with them, who had traded a life with the unworthy on earth for an eternal promise..

There are thousands of religions on the planet, each one which thinks they have the right idea, yet nobody talks about that... only that their's is the ONE. My brother lives in a town with 6 baptist churches and he goes to the one that is the furthest away because the message is stronger.

I respect people based upon how they treat others, regardless of money, race or religion, and I have great respect for people who do the right things every day. I grew up surrounded by self proclaimed Christians who flew the bird at somebody in the parking lot getting out of church.

Just my take on it. I live my life every day on earth as if it was my last and always try to do right by others, and I'll take my chances after that.

Pete

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: swift4me] #7280072
06/05/21 03:09 PM
06/05/21 03:09 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by swift4me
Sorry, but after 4 pages of this I have to throw in.

For me, after 18 years being raised as a Catholic, but never really adhering, I kept the big message of doing the right things all of my life. 40 years later, with my brother who had turned deep baptist because of his wife... who was born lutheran but chose to be baptist, I learned that my mother, my father and every person I respected that we knew in common would burn in He!! because we hadn't fully accepted the body of Christ.

I told my brother that I would rather take my chances with the people I respected in the fires below than spend a promised eternity with them, who had traded a life with the unworthy on earth for an eternal promise..

There are thousands of religions on the planet, each one which thinks they have the right idea, yet nobody talks about that... only that their's is the ONE. My brother lives in a town with 6 baptist churches and he goes to the one that is the furthest away because the message is stronger.

I respect people based upon how they treat others, regardless of money, race or religion, and I have great respect for people who do the right things every day. I grew up surrounded by self proclaimed Christians who flew the bird at somebody in the parking lot getting out of church.

Just my take on it. I live my life every day on earth as if it was my last and always try to do right by others, and I'll take my chances after that.

Pete

Pete nailed it.

Keith

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280109
06/05/21 03:53 PM
06/05/21 03:53 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Some of the biggest crooks I know or have come across are semi-influential Southern Baptists and Nazarenes. They might be "saved" but they lied and cheated their way through life. I have no use for them. I also have no use for anyone that peddles the "prosperity gospel" nonsense. The God I learned about growing up Catholic doesn't bless only his truest believers with money and new dishwashers.

Many Christians are good people, but some are just sorry human beings. It is difficult for me to believe the sorry ones, saved or not, have a place in Heaven.

I too think Pete nailed it..

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280119
06/05/21 04:05 PM
06/05/21 04:05 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Not all Baptist are created equal.

One group believes anything goes and nothing you do can get you kicked out. But on their wall they have some kind of pledge saying you will never touch any form of alcohol. They teach Jesus made grape juice and not wine. Yet if you are chosen you can not fall. Seems to me that the ones that wrote up their handbook may have been a little tipsy when they wrote it.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Foxpaw] #7280121
06/05/21 04:10 PM
06/05/21 04:10 PM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Not all Baptist are created equal.

One group believes anything goes and nothing you do can get you kicked out. But on their wall they have some kind of pledge saying you will never touch any form of alcohol. They teach Jesus made grape juice and not wine. Yet if you are chosen you can not fall. Seems to me that the ones that wrote up their handbook may have been a little tipsy when they wrote it.

And, I am not disparaging all Baptists and Nazarenes. I am disparaging all prosperity gospel kooks.

Basically, if you are a bad person, think that Jesus will make you rich or have a Christian fish or bible verse on your business card, website or other marketing materials, we are not doing business or becoming friends.

I prefer Christians that live like Christ would approve.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280142
06/05/21 04:56 PM
06/05/21 04:56 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Don't you think if God created us, he will take us back unless we choose not to go?

No Jab.
Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Yes sir] #7280148
06/05/21 05:02 PM
06/05/21 05:02 PM
Missouri
W
WhiteTrash 88 Offline
trapper
WhiteTrash 88  Offline
trapper
W

Missouri
Can't go wrong with faster horses, younger women, and more money. May not get you into heaven but you will have a really fun trip to Saint Peters gate.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280167
06/05/21 05:22 PM
06/05/21 05:22 PM
NW Illinois
K
Kevin Stake Offline
trapper
Kevin Stake  Offline
trapper
K

NW Illinois
If you truly except Jesus Christ as your savior. You will change the way you talk, think, and treat people. Yes we will sin til the day we die. You also have to ask for forgiveness to Jesus when you do sin. Your old self is gone. You have to die of your old ways to truly live. The Bible is the word, the word is the truth. It’s your choice whether you expect Jesus Christ or not.

It is more blessed to give than to receive
Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Kevin Stake] #7280181
06/05/21 06:02 PM
06/05/21 06:02 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Kevin Stake
If you truly except Jesus Christ as your savior. You will change the way you talk, think, and treat people. Yes we will sin til the day we die. You also have to ask for forgiveness to Jesus when you do sin. Your old self is gone. You have to die of your old ways to truly live. The Bible is the word, the word is the truth. It’s your choice whether you expect Jesus Christ or not.

Yes.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280191
06/05/21 06:12 PM
06/05/21 06:12 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

If someone were truly agnostic why would they care about your answer? Ask yourself that one.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Leftlane] #7280209
06/05/21 06:24 PM
06/05/21 06:24 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Leftlane
If someone were truly agnostic why would they care about your answer? Ask yourself that one.

I have numerous times over the years and my conclusion is some are genuinely interested but for whatever reason they are skeptical. I've known a few agnostics who became Christians

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Leftlane] #7280217
06/05/21 06:30 PM
06/05/21 06:30 PM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

I think it is fair for James to ask these questions. Isn't answering those questions part of spreading the word?

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280227
06/05/21 06:42 PM
06/05/21 06:42 PM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
You aren't the first "lawyer" to ask that question James. Here ya go..

25And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”

26He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”

27So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

28And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”

29But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among [i]thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’ 36So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”

37And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

Levi
Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Blaine County] #7280238
06/05/21 07:15 PM
06/05/21 07:15 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by Blaine County

I think it is fair for James to ask these questions. Isn't answering those questions part of spreading the word?

That is my hope I guess (that he isn't 100% on the agnostic thing) but the other answer is he just wants to troll us

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: Leftlane] #7280259
06/05/21 07:35 PM
06/05/21 07:35 PM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

That is my hope I guess (that he isn't 100% on the agnostic thing) but the other answer is he just wants to troll us

That wasn't the vibe I got.

I'm a lapsed Catholic that enjoys reading Mark's posts (although we never learned most of that blush). I like reading those of others too (I liked AM's above). I struggle with the "lapsed" part and it's probably just a matter of priorities, by the way.

I think his question was sincere. And, it's been a good mostly civil discussion.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280359
06/05/21 09:34 PM
06/05/21 09:34 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
once again, James sneaks in, drops a turd and then vacates the discussion he started.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: James] #7280363
06/05/21 09:39 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by James
On another thread Loosegoose posted, "Christ is king, salvation comes through faith and not works, and we can all agree on that." I didn't want to derail that thread, so am starting this one.

Is LG right? I think not. I'm now an agnostic, but was raised in the Roman Catholic Church, and that's not what the Church teaches. Good works do count (but not without faith).

The salvation-through-faith-alone belief is a license to do anything. You can do anything at all, if you believe Christ died for your sins 2000 years ago.

I'm curious how many individuals believe in faith alone. Do you ignore good works? If not, what role do you believe good works in this life will have on your afterlife?

Jim

The Catholic church does mix faith and works. That's what the reformation was resisting against. The CC had people buying indulgences to get their kinfolk out of purgatory. Totally unbiblical. Of course faith will produce works, but works do not save anyone.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: white marlin] #7280364
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by white marlin
once again, James sneaks in, drops a turd and then vacates the discussion he started.

I noticed that and expected he would but as someone mentioned above, it's something many of us like to discuss anyway.

Re: Cristians: Do good works matter? [Re: whiteotter55] #7280372
06/05/21 09:48 PM
06/05/21 09:48 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by whiteotter55
God loves us so much he had Jesus die for our sins. We do good works because we love him. Good works do not help us get to heaven, we get there by grace alone. WE aiso do good works to show non believers what God's love has done in our lives.

Yes.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread