No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280262
06/05/21 07:36 PM
06/05/21 07:36 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Denmark had no real means of stopping the nazis. What is admirable is their plan in the event of invasion. First they evacuated the majority of their Jewish population to Sweden then scuttled what they could before the Germans got it.

[Linked Image]
Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: warrior] #7280272
06/05/21 07:50 PM
06/05/21 07:50 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by warrior
Denmark had no real means of stopping the nazis. What is admirable is their plan in the event of invasion. First they evacuated the majority of their Jewish population to Sweden then scuttled what they could before the Germans got it.

The NATO plan to deter a Soviet invasion was less admirable, plan was to Nuke the Soviets in Norway a NATO country. Imagine being a member of a organization knowing you were the sacrificial lamb.

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280276
06/05/21 07:53 PM
06/05/21 07:53 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
And just where are you accessing these cold war war plans?

[Linked Image]
Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: charles] #7280281
06/05/21 07:59 PM
06/05/21 07:59 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
Yes, closure of the shipping lanes.

Originally Posted by charles
As an Island Nation, they needed to control raw materials like oil. Just as the Nazi came to power in Europe, Japan became aggressive toward China and other Asian nations. The US imposed an embargo which backed them into a corner. Their emperor was all powerful and the people and military followed him blindly. Their military had ramped up the Navy but under grossly estimated the industrial might of the US.

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: warrior] #7280284
06/05/21 08:04 PM
06/05/21 08:04 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
And just where are you accessing these cold war war plans?

There was a youtube video about it, I couldn't find it, guessing it was based on these plans.

https://thebarentsobserver.com/ru/node/756

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280297
06/05/21 08:19 PM
06/05/21 08:19 PM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
Everywhere the sons of Nippon operated there were sanctioned war crimes. From bayonetting nurses and nuns in Malaysia, all the atrocities on the Bataan death march, special unit in china using germ & chemical warfare and cutting out the livers of live Americans and eating them ( read the book Flyboys) nothing was off limits. Beheading, rape and beatings were common and they would take women from countries they occupied and put them on troop ships and bases as "comfort women". Bear Tracker that's one of the reasons your Korean students hated the japs, they not only raped their country but would ship Korean women off for the same fate.

The reason there were so few jap survivors is because they would not give up, they would rather die than be captured, not because we killed them in captivity. Donner you are way off base but I think you know that. Dad was at Iwo and Okie, wish you could have told him your point of view.

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280308
06/05/21 08:35 PM
06/05/21 08:35 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
It was called bushido. To surrender was eternal dishonor and shame for one's family. In some respects admirable but not when it meant entire families of women and children jumping to their deaths off the cliffs of Okinawa.
That same bushido made it perfectly acceptable to abuse and massacre POWs and civilians as they had no honor in the eyes of bushido.

[Linked Image]
Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: K52] #7280437
06/05/21 10:54 PM
06/05/21 10:54 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by K52
Donner you are way off base but I think you know that. Dad was at Iwo and Okie, wish you could have told him your point of view.

What am I off base on?

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280465
06/05/21 11:41 PM
06/05/21 11:41 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Revisionist smears against US armed forces. I think we can all agree that bad things happen in war and not every serviceman or woman lives up to our ideals but to make the claim that war crimes were US policy official or not is unsupported at best and slanderous at worst.

[Linked Image]
Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: warrior] #7280489
06/06/21 12:28 AM
06/06/21 12:28 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The Japanese greatly underestimated several things. As an Island nation with limited arable land, dependent upon other areas and regions for resources and food they chose to engage in war instead of working to build relationships etc. They greatly underestimated the USA's ability to ramp up war production, and it was a good thing we were ramping that up prior to 12-7-41. When Hitler invaded Russia the Japanese felt that the Russian threat was no much less to nil. The Japanese greatly underestimated the sacrifices and lives lost and burning of crops Stalin's Russia would do to defeat Germany. The Japanese overestimated Germany's military might and man power to occupy almost all of northern and western Europe the northern 1/4 of Africa, keep their sea lanes open and fight the Russians. After the battle of Midway it was down hill for the Japanese empire, it just took 39 more months and heavy battle casualties to close the deal. The end of WW11 initiated the era of great, strong and healthy democracies. Now 70 years later we seem to be working hard to find issues to divide citizens of democracies instead of working as a more unified nation. History does often times repeat itself and it does so in my opinion because many choose to not even want to study about it let alone take it seriously.

Bryce

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280497
06/06/21 12:48 AM
06/06/21 12:48 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
The atrocities committed by the japs were many and policy. Us troops cannot be compared to that at all, end of story.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: warrior] #7280506
06/06/21 01:40 AM
06/06/21 01:40 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Revisionist smears against US armed forces. I think we can all agree that bad things happen in war and not every serviceman or woman lives up to our ideals but to make the claim that war crimes were US policy official or not is unsupported at best and slanderous at worst.

Pointing out the fact the Allies committed war crimes is not a smear, it's just factual. Again a direct quote from Major-General Raymond Hufft 'if the Germans had won, I would have been on trial at Nuremberg instead of them.'"

My grandfather Hated what he called "Japs", he worked on the Manhattan project and suffered and eventually died from a multitude of cancers. My Great Uncle helped liberate Japanese POW camps, it was often said "Bomb was to good for the Japs" anytime the war or anything Japanese was brought up. Never got the full story of another great uncle, he was in a tank and some sort of explosion took out most of his hearing while fighting the Japanese, he didn't talk about it. My Grandfather on my moms side came back from Korea and wouldn't even pick up a rifle to hunt anymore, couldn't even shoot a cow to butcher it, if you asked what he did in the war he replied with "I was a cook" and that was the end of the conversation.

It's not that I love hating on the U.S armed forces, I pointed out crimes were committed on all sides. We can wrap ourselves in the flag and pretend every action the U.S has ever undertaken has been morally upright and just or we can look at the history discuss it and attempt to do better in the future.

I am not on some left wing rant about how we need to go apologize and give reparation's, it's just a discussion of facts as I have read them.

Would I have been better than the guys who shot Japanese or SS POWs? Who knows, probably not if we're being honest. It's not judgement, it's just acknowledgement.

Re: why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? [Re: white marlin] #7280519
06/06/21 05:24 AM
06/06/21 05:24 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Pictures and videos are the only crimes of war.

-Goofy-
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread