Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why do mink avoid conibears? [Re: Computer Hater] #728176
05/22/08 04:14 AM
05/22/08 04:14 AM
louisiana
K
Kirk Offline
trapper
Kirk  Offline
trapper
K

louisiana
Mad I cant say for sure as we dont get snow down here ( have water moccsins and copper heads insead) but 110 conibears is just about all I use for mink and never had a problem with then not workin for me

Re: Why do mink avoid conibears? [Re: madtrapper] #728195
05/22/08 06:37 AM
05/22/08 06:37 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
 Originally Posted By: madtrapper
I and many of you have seen where mink have avoided conibear traps set for them, especially when there is snow and tracks can be seen. I would like to draw on the vast knowledge on this site and find out why this happens and what we can do about it. Please offer some rationale for your conclusions.

I think it must be a combination of both sight and smell. The sight of the trigger must have something to do with it, because I seem to have better luck using pan triggers in conibear boxes. Some paint stripes on their traps, or camo patterns. Concealing them with grass seems to help sometimes. I have noticed that when conibears are completely submerged both mink and otter will go into them without hesitation. If they are covered or partially covered with a light coating of powder snow it seems to help too. All this seems to suggest it can be either sight or smell. I do catch quite a few in conibears, but I would like to catch them all. What do you guys think?

You will never catch them all.Besides you got to leave some for seed for next year.I'd catch the cream and move on to another location.

Nevada bound
Re: Why do mink avoid conibears? [Re: Bruce T] #728201
05/22/08 06:55 AM
05/22/08 06:55 AM
Ruby, Ak
scotty Offline
trapper
scotty  Offline
trapper

Ruby, Ak
Laziness paid off for me this year on a mink and lynx!

both times it was cold, I was tired, wet, below zero and ready to go home. Both times i had a 220 on a stick that I had taken out of a zero catch area...was riding, thought, crap, i'm lazy...i'm gonna set this sucker before I leave...

the first time I was sitting on my snowgo eating smoked fish, put the skin on teh trigger and saw a hole that teh mink were coming out of in the ice...it was big, but i said, what the heck, put it over the whole where they could get around it, etc....next two days, bam, a nice mink in it..

fast forward a week...i was lazy....wet, tired, and sitting on snow go eating smoke fish...thought, crap, gonna set 220 here instead of looking around...saw fox tracks down a riven.....put 8 ft pole over the creek at 2.5 ft high, put smoke fish skin on trigger and left it....came back after one week of blizzards, dug it out, had lynx in it....

Lesson: laziness pays off for a green neck when your using smoked fish!...next year, you know what i'm packing! To heck with the skunk spray, otter gland, etc...i'm going totally smoke fish!....hehehe, the lazy mans way...

been putting the beaver musk on the triggers on my beaver sets and they have been going into those better....had a beaver chew around a 33o and drag it out of the way!...til i put the musk on it...hehehe...

Scotty
Yukon river bush teacher
jssbastiat@aol.com
feel free to contact me!
Re: Why do mink avoid conibears? [Re: scotty] #728258
05/22/08 08:45 AM
05/22/08 08:45 AM
ontario,canada
k-9hunter Offline
trapper
k-9hunter  Offline
trapper

ontario,canada
i catch lots of mink in my conis and very seldom have refusals i only set on trials or in holes in banks to be sucessful you need to set on their natural corridors most of my sets are in long grass where they naturally make paths/tunnels

$20.00 trap, a $1.00 stake, probably $1.00 in pan cover, bait, urine, and lure, Not to mention gas etc. All for a $10.00 coyote.Priceless!!!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91