No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bear Baiting Hunt Spring 2021 [Re: bfisch] #7283707
06/11/21 09:35 AM
06/11/21 09:35 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Good job and the 30-30 will never go out of style for that short and mid range work that needs done right!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Bear Baiting Hunt Spring 2021 [Re: bfisch] #7284067
06/11/21 08:05 PM
06/11/21 08:05 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
After a couple day break from taking care of the first bear, I went out again to refill the bait and check cameras. At that time there was a mated pair chocolate boar and black sow (see "Bear ID Help" post for more information on that) along with a young very small loner. I wasn't in a rush to put another bear down and really only wanted to take boars. A day later I took a friend along and after refilling the bait, we sat for a while. I went up the tree and he stayed on the ground. My intent was to try to positively identify the bears' genders. Sure enough they came in less than an hour later. After milling around the bait they came one step too close to my buddy at the base of my tree and he racked a shell in the chamber and warned them off.

I got the whole thing on camera and was too busy enjoying the bears to take any shots. This is the bears right before they took off. We left right after.

[Linked Image]

The day before that happened I spent three hours in the stand and watched this little fellow the entire evening. This picture is taken a couple days later.

[Linked Image]

Two days later I went out again refilling the bait once again. This time I sat and saw nothing, but I thought I could hear them though the wind was not the greatest.
Same thing the next day with slightly better wind, I once again settled into my stand. However, what I didn't know was that there was a transition of power during the night. The chocolate who had been with the black sow this entire time had been replaced by a similar sized black male. There was also a single bear (besides the really little one) starting to come in. (These are merely my best guestimates based off the photos I have and time stamps keeping in mind exits and entrances and estimated sizes.)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After sitting for 2 1/2 hours the first bear to show up out of the five possible bears was the chocolate. The one I wanted! He appeared out of nowhere at about 20 yards in front of me and to the right.

[Linked Image]

He boldly made his way to the bait and started eating.

[Linked Image]

I nearly messed up trying to film the ordeal. I noticed my camera battery was dying so I reached in my bag for the extra and he made me! He started off and not wanting to lose the opportunity I took the shot at about 60 yards with the 30-30 and he dropped.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He has a beautiful pelt and I am extremely happy with this spring bear season!

Re: Bear Baiting Hunt Spring 2021 [Re: bfisch] #7284128
06/11/21 09:05 PM
06/11/21 09:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Lots of nice sized bears there.
You could make some good coin if you're a good skinner and have a hide buyer lined up.

Last edited by Boco; 06/11/21 09:07 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Bear Baiting Hunt Spring 2021 [Re: bfisch] #7284191
06/11/21 10:29 PM
06/11/21 10:29 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Congratulations