No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Question on Camper Scissor lifts #7284828
06/12/21 11:18 PM
06/12/21 11:18 PM
IA, WI, ND, IL
M
martyd Offline OP
trapper
martyd  Offline OP
trapper
M

IA, WI, ND, IL
First let me give you some back ground before I ask this question. I am 62 with both knees replaced in the last few years. Right knee did not turn out well. Maybe 100 degree range of motion. Even after 4 months therapy.
Constant pain. I still do some coyote hunting and pheasant hunting in small 5 acre fields that no one hunts with their bird dogs. My biggest worry is having a flat tire on my truck out in the middle of no we’re. I don’t think I could change it with these knees. Positive could not do it on a icy rd or at 15 degree weather. Some places out west were I hunt i am 10 miles from a black top road and manny places no cell coverage. I have AAA so don’t suggest that , they are great in town , Highway etc. out in middle of no we’re not so good. Today going to a antique fishing Equipment and hunting Equipment show in Des Moines IA I passed a lot of RV pull campers and they all have these scissor lifts mounted to underside of the camper / Trailer. Not sure sure if they are used in case you get a flat tire on your Camper or used in winter to raise your camper off ground for winter so tires don’t rot OR BOTH ? So my question when I buy a new truck when I retire in couple years what about me mounting these same type of scissor lifts under truck bolted right to undersize of the frame ? Just reach in truck for the 3 foot handle and crank them down ? Has any one ever seen these on a pick up truck ? Wondering if I could get them up high enough under truck when not in use so they would not hang up on mud , dirt , snow , corn fields etc. I think this would work for me if I got stranded out in middle of no were with a flat. it has happen couple times last few years. Both times I was lucky and couple 20 year old pheasant hunters helped me. Your thoughts in this idea. Thanks. Marty

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7284838
06/12/21 11:37 PM
06/12/21 11:37 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
They’re just to help stabilize the camper, they don’t really have any lifting power. There are hydraulic rams that lift for leveling, not sure how they would work on a truck.

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7284848
06/13/21 12:00 AM
06/13/21 12:00 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Most of the newer 1//2 ton trucks come with a scissor jack under one of the seats. Don’t understand how having the jack mounted to the undercarriage on all four tires would be a benefit. With the jack out from under the truck you can easily raise or lower it to the last little bit. If jacking up and down is your main concern bye an air jack and a compressor it may be a little slow but it’ll get the job done. Plus if the tire has a smaller leak the compressor and a bottle of Slime can keep you going with out changing the tire. Let a shop do it.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7284857
06/13/21 12:22 AM
06/13/21 12:22 AM
IA, WI, ND, IL
M
martyd Offline OP
trapper
martyd  Offline OP
trapper
M

IA, WI, ND, IL
Ok. Sounds like the camper scissor jacks don’t have any lifting power. I thought they were there to lift the camper up to change a tire. Thanks. Marty

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7284859
06/13/21 12:30 AM
06/13/21 12:30 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Since you have mobility issues and are frequently far from help, in areas without cell towers, I recommend getting a satelite phone.

Keith

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7284862
06/13/21 12:33 AM
06/13/21 12:33 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Online content
trapper
Marty  Online Content
trapper

North East Kansas
Those jacks are to level/stabilize the camper.

If your worried about having a flat and not being able to change it then get run flat tires.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7284879
06/13/21 12:58 AM
06/13/21 12:58 AM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
I keep a floor jack in my trk
Best thing for jacking these high trks up to change tires or work under them
Also a piece of plywood to put under jack on in soft ground, works great
I to have very bad knees, right one is bone on bone, got to have them replaced

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7285005
06/13/21 08:55 AM
06/13/21 08:55 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
I have a Power Box tool box in my truck that has an air compressor & 110 v electric plugs plus will jump the truck battery with a flip of a switch. You can get either an electric or air jack, a electric impact wrench and changing a flat is a piece of cake. It also has jumper cables that plug into the box via Anderson connectors to jump what ever you need to. The tool box's gel battery charges off of your vehicle's altenator when the engine is running or it has an onboard charger that you can plug in to an electric outlet if you won't be driving that vehicle for a while. It will not run the vehicle's battery down. They aren't cheap but what is the ability to get your self out of a situation without depending on a good samaritan to come to your rescue in the back country worth? I've used mine for a few years now and I love what it allows you to do.

Re: Question on Camper Scissor lifts [Re: martyd] #7285022
06/13/21 09:26 AM
06/13/21 09:26 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Aluminum floor jack and join AAA might be a good investment for you.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread