No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Joe1] #7289987
06/19/21 10:23 PM
06/19/21 10:23 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Joe1
enjoyed very much thankyou speared a lot of fish when i was a kid in streams like that nice and clear most got smoked now the streams are dirty and a lot have soap suds in them cant even see the fish its sad

.what did you used to spear?

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290010
06/19/21 11:13 PM
06/19/21 11:13 PM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
a five prong gig looked real similar to the ones used in your video

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: DuxDawg] #7290037
06/20/21 12:04 AM
06/20/21 12:04 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by DuxDawg
IMHO, if you practice "traditional" rights, then you ought to live 100% traditionally... 100% of the time.
Especially since there are at least 400 million in North America these days vs maybe 3 million when these methods were the norm.

That being said, gorgeous photography in that vid.

No.

With that logic it’s forget about yesterday and live and adapt to what’s happening each day.

Like buying a new tv every other month because a new one came out. Buying a new vehicle every year. Building a new house because new techniques and codes came out or modernizing. Buying a new rifle or new bow each year cause it shoots faster, more accurate, better bullet/broadhead. Etc.

You want to erase history.

I’m telling you there’s nothing wrong with trying to do things your ancestors have done. It’s kind of the beauty about living in a country like Canada. Not sure how things are in the States.

I guarantee you didn’t think before you posted that.

Last edited by Jurassic Park; 06/20/21 12:06 AM.

Cold as ice!
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290092
06/20/21 07:29 AM
06/20/21 07:29 AM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota

Not sure, but he might of meant learn from history.

I’m telling you there’s nothing wrong with trying to do things your ancestors have done. It’s kind of the beauty about living in a country like Canada. Not sure how things are in the States.

Didn't realize non-natives could spear walleyes in Canada. Yes, it is different in the states.

Nice underwater video shots. Looks like some nice country.

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: mnsota] #7290103
06/20/21 07:50 AM
06/20/21 07:50 AM
ontario, canada
O
old243 Offline
trapper
old243  Offline
trapper
O

ontario, canada
My family always , speared suckers and mullet, in the spring.In the georgian bay rivers. usually would come home with a couple of feed bags full.. We are not natives,Just farmers, mostly just trying to get food. Remember my grandmother, canning them . That was their food. Spearing mostly disappeared before I was old enough to help out. I did net , suckers and smelt. Usually a spring time adventure. old243

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: mnsota] #7290111
06/20/21 08:01 AM
06/20/21 08:01 AM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by mnsota

Not sure, but he might of meant learn from history.

Didn't realize non-natives could spear walleyes in Canada. Yes, it is different in the states.

Nice underwater video shots. Looks like some nice country.

Non natives can spear suckers and...I think carp during day light hours. We can't spear walkeye. I was only filming.

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: old243] #7290112
06/20/21 08:02 AM
06/20/21 08:02 AM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by old243
My family always , speared suckers and mullet, in the spring.In the georgian bay rivers. usually would come home with a couple of feed bags full.. We are not natives,Just farmers, mostly just trying to get food. Remember my grandmother, canning them . That was their food. Spearing mostly disappeared before I was old enough to help out. I did net , suckers and smelt. Usually a spring time adventure. old243

I hear sucker are good canned. It sucks we cannot spear them at night, but oh well.

I'd like to try spearing and pickling them.

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290128
06/20/21 08:21 AM
06/20/21 08:21 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I rarely watch you-tube videos. In my opinion, the vast majority are "Gee. Look at me! I'm fantastic!" This one Hutchy, was very informative and exceptionally well photographed. Thanks, man.

Jack

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290141
06/20/21 08:53 AM
06/20/21 08:53 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
There will always be people who pick and chose what technology they embrace. Decide what they want to call their version of tradition is something all humans seem to do.. Doesn't matter if your talking base ball bats, fishing, archery, or cars even relation ships..
I think the bone spear was cool idea. They guys you were with seemed to be doing something they had always done.
I like your videos and think you do great job on them.
Thanks for sharing.
Oh and I too have no problem eating things with holes :-)

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290158
06/20/21 09:18 AM
06/20/21 09:18 AM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
i thought the video was great brought back good memories and i have done things like they were done years ago and thought it was better than way its done now but im not going to go back to going out to the out house out side when its below zero like we did when we were kids and i wish farming was like it was back then and have clear streams again

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Gulo] #7290170
06/20/21 09:30 AM
06/20/21 09:30 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Gulo
I rarely watch you-tube videos. In my opinion, the vast majority are "Gee. Look at me! I'm fantastic!" This one Hutchy, was very informative and exceptionally well photographed. Thanks, man.

Jack

Yes, Great!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: 330-Trapper] #7290200
06/20/21 10:15 AM
06/20/21 10:15 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Jack

Yes, Great!

Not bad for a Canadian whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Gulo] #7290235
06/20/21 10:57 AM
06/20/21 10:57 AM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Jack

Thanks for the kind words Jack.

I am trying to make my channel a bit more than just the vapid look at me kind of stuff.

It might not make me an internet star, and that's ok. Just trying to share what I do along with a positive message about the outdoors in general.

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290242
06/20/21 11:03 AM
06/20/21 11:03 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Great video Hutch, I liked it, and of course, watched it on Youtube and subscribed.

PS, I wouldnt hesitate to eat a walleye, if I was hungry, in any season or not, at any time of the year, lol. Or any other fish.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290292
06/20/21 12:39 PM
06/20/21 12:39 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Not something you get to see often...Thanks for posting...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290714
06/20/21 11:26 PM
06/20/21 11:26 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Hutchy after have dug several archaeological site in boreal situations it is always hard to find 'bone artifacts" because of degradation of the artifact. Stone tools survive because they are stones...but...a stone spear in those situations would have a short life span on the rocks holding the fish down.
It was interesting to see the pin -you-to-the rock-till -stopped thrashing.
If it was not for some of those early written journals we would be lost in what is " or was .So your intro to Sameul was fitting
Unfortunately lots of those journals were destroyed during the French revolution.

Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290727
06/20/21 11:42 PM
06/20/21 11:42 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by Hutchy
I get that.

I also get fish hatcheries aren't traditional and am good with them dumping a few million fish in the lake every year!

Works for me! Hooked into a ten pounder today musky fishing. Love it! grin

Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, real good dumping the spawn back in.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Jurassic Park] #7290755
06/21/21 02:02 AM
06/21/21 02:02 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

No.

With that logic it’s forget about yesterday and live and adapt to what’s happening each day.

Like buying a new tv every other month because a new one came out. Buying a new vehicle every year. Building a new house because new techniques and codes came out or modernizing. Buying a new rifle or new bow each year cause it shoots faster, more accurate, better bullet/broadhead. Etc.

I guarantee you didn’t think before you posted that.

Buwahahaha!
Sure assume a tremendous lot there "JP".

Absolutely nothing of what you stated is true.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Hutchy] #7290968
06/21/21 02:16 PM
06/21/21 02:16 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Very informative on how it was once done.

I have no objection to "traditional harvest" if it is still done so. BUT there is nothing traditional or religious in using a $100,000. boat and motor with all the modern electronics and 200' nylon gill nets! And it shouldn't be taxpayers that have to restock and limit their harvest to restore waters emptied. The waters in which it is allowed aren't all fully within reservation boundaries. When is fair going to be truly fair for all.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: New video: Traditional Native Walleye Spearing. [Re: Drakej] #7291009
06/21/21 04:05 PM
06/21/21 04:05 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Drakej
Very informative on how it was once done.

I have no objection to "traditional harvest" if it is still done so. BUT there is nothing traditional or religious in using a $100,000. boat and motor with all the modern electronics and 200' nylon gill nets! And it shouldn't be taxpayers that have to restock and limit their harvest to restore waters emptied. The waters in which it is allowed aren't all fully within reservation boundaries. When is fair going to be truly fair for all.

Fair for all does really ring true.

I like the regulations the reserve in my video put in place. It is as traditional as I have ever seen, and hence they have my support. Its a 20 minute walk into the river, and while the hatchery owns a boat, no one else boats in to spear. The boat is used to transport the eggs to the hatchery when its running, and then to bring the fry back tot he river.

But I can understand the distaste when it turns into a commercial operation, and illegally selling fish is the goal.

As a native friend said to me, "there is greed no matter the skin color".

If white people were allowed to spear and net, you think they wouldn't bend the rules too? It is a human thing, not a race thing. It just so happens that natives are allowed to spear, use nets, etc and the bad examples show themselves far more readily.

And that brings us right back to the "fair for all" argument again. lol

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread