No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291156
06/21/21 07:47 PM
06/21/21 07:47 PM
ontario
G
grampy Offline
trapper
grampy  Offline
trapper
G

ontario
We have to wear it hunting or trapping.I don't like Gov't edicts either but find it's better than getting shot by some idiot,for lack of a better word. They are out there.

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291227
06/21/21 08:45 PM
06/21/21 08:45 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
I will not trade in my Cabelas Zonz Woodlands Snow Camo Parka, Insulated Coveralls, Snow Hat, Insulated Snow boots , and Insulated Camo Snow Gloves. !

Makes me look like an Insulated Snow Camo Version of the Pillsbury Dough Boy !!

I refuse to look like a Blaze Orange PUMPKIN OUT IN THE WOODS!! grin

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291236
06/21/21 08:58 PM
06/21/21 08:58 PM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline
trapper
Tommie  Offline
trapper
T

middle tennessee
In Tennessee we have to wear 500 sq inches of blaze orange during our gun and muzzle loader big game season . If I’m trapping on state land during those seasons I’m required to wear the same as I’m deer hunting.

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291250
06/21/21 09:19 PM
06/21/21 09:19 PM
St lawrence county, ny
E
Eyehi Offline
trapper
Eyehi  Offline
trapper
E

St lawrence county, ny
Welcome to NY every day there is a new law and regulation to follow ....... More BS from nysdec !

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291269
06/21/21 09:45 PM
06/21/21 09:45 PM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
More bs is right. Cuomo appointed some real winners

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291437
06/22/21 06:59 AM
06/22/21 06:59 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
I don't believe BO/BP is the end all, be all for safety by any means. I've heard of guys in PA dressed all in orange being shot in mistake for a gobbler at 40 yards.

Hunters hear the noise a critter might make and get tunnel vision. They see movement, and their brain automatically goes into deer, turkey, and squirrel mode. When I had long hair I had people tell me I looked like a squirrel while archery hunting.

I do agree up to an extent with "if the hunters must wear it, then the GP should be required to wear it" too during hunting seasons if using the lands.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Eyehi] #7291446
06/22/21 07:26 AM
06/22/21 07:26 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Eyehi
Welcome to NY every day there is a new law and regulation to follow ....... More BS from nysdec !

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291453
06/22/21 07:38 AM
06/22/21 07:38 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Redknot, nothing I read in the proposed wording requires non-hunters to wear orange. It does require those accompanying a hunter to wear orange but I consider them to also be hunting with regard to their activity and behavior even if not licensed and armed. Why are you raising the issue of requiring non-hunters to wear orange and encouraging folks to oppose the proposed regulation when it doesn't require non-hunters to wear orange? As I read it the entire issue of an orange requirement when hunting is separate from the opposition to this proposal you are encouraging.

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291456
06/22/21 07:42 AM
06/22/21 07:42 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I've often thought the real reason for blaze orange from a law enforcement point of view is it makes it easier for them to spot you

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291467
06/22/21 08:09 AM
06/22/21 08:09 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline OP
trapper
Redknot  Offline OP
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Ed, I am not sure what you are coming away with, but allow me to simplify my opinion.

Correct, birders are not required to wear BO by this proposal or any other (and they should NEVER be required to wear BO)...

As of now, NYS does NOT require a (non-youth-hunt) hunter to wear BO.

The NYS hunter safety record is outstanding with the use of a voluntary BO.

There is NO reason to add a BO mandate in NYS...

My writing on this post is to get some to consider that a mandate of BO (could) cause some hunters to lower their guard while hunting.

GCPete makes exactly that point in a paragraph above where he states he saw a deer, but when he looked through his scope he saw orange and then recalibrated his shot based on seeing that orange. My question is, if he did NOT see any orange would he have taken his original shot? What if there had been a birder in the woods or a guy fixing his fence neither of which wearing BO??

In Pete's scenario, the orange he saw in his scope was what he used to decide safe or not safe to shoot.

Does that mean NOT seeing orange creates a confirmation bias suggesting a safe shot??

We don't hunt like that in NY...We expect others to not have orange on and to be afield...

A mandate of BO, could move NY hunters to a scenario more like what GC Pete describes, and suddenly a birder or other non-hunter is at risk...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #7291469
06/22/21 08:12 AM
06/22/21 08:12 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline OP
trapper
Redknot  Offline OP
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
I've often thought the real reason for blaze orange from a law enforcement point of view is it makes it easier for them to spot you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
True that!!!

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291470
06/22/21 08:16 AM
06/22/21 08:16 AM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline
trapper
Dana I  Offline
trapper
D

Perry, NY
I always wear blaze orange when deer hunting and think its foolish not too. However, I think it is even more foolish to condition hunters to depend on blaze orange to identify a safe shot.

I work out in the fields feeding and checking cattle all through hunting season and usually don't have blaze on when working. There are people out walking, trapping, small game hunting, fishing, spending time in or near the woods for a myriad of reasons. None of which would be covered under the new requirement, and this new regulation (in my opinion) would be detrimental to their safety.

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Dana I] #7291477
06/22/21 08:30 AM
06/22/21 08:30 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline OP
trapper
Redknot  Offline OP
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Dana I
I always wear blaze orange when deer hunting and think its foolish not too. However, I think it is even more foolish to condition hunters to depend on blaze orange to identify a safe shot.

I work out in the fields feeding and checking cattle all through hunting season and usually don't have blaze on when working. There are people out walking, trapping, small game hunting, fishing, spending time in or near the woods for a myriad of reasons. None of which would be covered under the new requirement, and this new regulation (in my opinion) would be detrimental to their safety.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291518
06/22/21 09:32 AM
06/22/21 09:32 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
This post is messing with my head, lol. I was sure blaze orange was required in western NY when I lived there 20 years ago. Was it not?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291533
06/22/21 09:39 AM
06/22/21 09:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if you oppose the law , push hard for all to have to wear it including wardens , best way to defeat something is to require the people pushing it to have to follow the same.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: yotetrapper30] #7291538
06/22/21 09:48 AM
06/22/21 09:48 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline OP
trapper
Redknot  Offline OP
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
This post is messing with my head, lol. I was sure blaze orange was required in western NY when I lived there 20 years ago. Was it not?

Angela, it's never been a requirement of NYS...

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291554
06/22/21 10:10 AM
06/22/21 10:10 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Redknot
Ed, I am not sure what you are coming away with, but allow me to simplify my opinion.

Correct, birders are not required to wear BO by this proposal or any other (and they should NEVER be required to wear BO)...

My writing on this post is to get some to consider that a mandate of BO (could) cause some hunters to lower their guard while hunting.

GCPete makes exactly that point in a paragraph above where he states he saw a deer, but when he looked through his scope he saw orange and then recalibrated his shot based on seeing that orange. My question is, if he did NOT see any orange would he have taken his original shot? What if there had been a birder in the woods or a guy fixing his fence neither of which wearing BO??

In Pete's scenario, the orange he saw in his scope was what he used to decide safe or not safe to shoot.

Does that mean NOT seeing orange creates a confirmation bias suggesting a safe shot??

We don't hunt like that in NY...We expect others to not have orange on and to be afield...

A mandate of BO, could move NY hunters to a scenario more like what GC Pete describes, and suddenly a birder or other non-hunter is at risk...

we identify our target not just orange vs brown I knew that buck was an 8 point before I pulled the trigger. the guy was at the edge of my 2x optic and 200 yards from my position. the furthest distance you can even see even with orange in that particular woods. this was in a shotgun only zone , however with new sabot slugs 200 yards is still quite possible even the foster slugs travel much further than people can hit a target with them.
would I have hit him , no quite unlikely but letting the deer go farther to my right his left made sure there wasn't even any risk , I hit the deer in the shoulder, the slug exited but probably with not nearly enough energy to make 140 more yards either way I had a good margin away from that hunter.

as hunter density goes up we hit 820,299 people who were license to be in the woods hunting deer as of opening day , and I understand NY state had record new hunters in 2020 with an entirely online hunters education , proving again that hunters ed is a barrier to entry when you must attend limited in person classes , that is an issue for another time.

we know the area we hunt we know where buildings are , roads , we expect you scout the area before hunting it and positively identify targets as deer with or without antlers before filling your tag.

there are less likely to be birders in the woods in late November but it could happen In WI if hunting you must wear 50% of your upper body in orange and 50% of your hat if a hat is worn. anyone working outside or in an area where hunting could take place are strongly encouraged to wear orange or bright colors.

Wisconsin also has a 9 day gun deer season , most people hunt opening weekend with a lot less hunting the week although this last year 2020 was an exception there was orange everywhere all week.

if you saw a field or woods without orange in it , you probably saw 2 dozen no hunting signs bordering that property

if Voluntary is working keep it voluntary , it is a benefit to seeing where other hunters are at a much greater distance.

if they are going to force it on hunters insist it is everyone in a place that can be hunted or with thing 100 yards of a place that can be hunted or what is the point if it is not used to identify non hunters a field as well as hunters then it is not in the interest of public safety it is just a way to single out hunters.

even the Amish wear orange here.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 06/22/21 10:14 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7291559
06/22/21 10:17 AM
06/22/21 10:17 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Redknot

we identify our target not just orange vs brown I knew that buck was an 8 point before I pulled the trigger. the guy was at the edge of my 2x optic and 200 yards from my position. the furthest distance you can even see even with orange in that particular woods. this was in a shotgun only zone , however with new sabot slugs 200 yards is still quite possible even the foster slugs travel much further than people can hit a target with them.
would I have hit him

as hunter density goes up we hit 820,299 people who were license to be in the woods hunting deer as of opening day , and I understand NY state had record new hunters in 2020 with an entirely online hunters education , proving again that hunters ed is a barrier to entry when you must attend limited in person classes , that is an issue for another time.

we know the area we hunt we know where buildings are , roads , we expect you scout the area before hunting it and positively identify targets as deer with or without antlers before filling your tag.

there are less likely to be birders in the woods in late November but it could happen In WI if hunting you must wear 50% of your upper body in orange and 50% of your hat if a hat is worn. anyone working outside or in an area where hunting could take place are strongly encouraged to wear orange or bright colors.

Wisconsin also has a 9 day gun deer season , most people hunt opening weekend with a lot less hunting the week although this last year 2020 was an exception there was orange everywhere all week.

if you saw a field or woods without orange in it , you probably saw 2 dozen no hunting signs bordering that property

if Voluntary is working keep it voluntary , it is a benefit to seeing where other hunters are at a much greater distance.

if they are going to force it on hunters insist it is everyone in a place that can be hunted or with thing 100 yards of a place that can be hunted or what is the point if it is not used to identify non hunters a field as well as hunters then it is not in the interest of public safety it is just a way to single out hunters.

even the Amish wear orange here.

Yet waterfowlers don't have to wear orange. I can sit on a tree line over a field of goose decoys in full camo during deer season. But if I sit in the SAME field with a turkey decoy, have to wear blaze.

And it's ANY gun season here. Rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, youth, late antlerless, and holiday. Pretty much November and December. So if you want to bow hunt deer in December, you have to wear blaze, same with late season turkey.

It's a law passed because of a small number of stupid people.

Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Redknot] #7291563
06/22/21 10:25 AM
06/22/21 10:25 AM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Would this pass the Blaze Orange rule??

[Linked Image]

It's not "BLAZE ORANGE" . But, I could see that a Mile away !!

Last edited by Canvasback2; 06/22/21 10:25 AM.
Re: NYS Trappers Should Comment on Blaze Orange [Re: Canvasback2] #7291573
06/22/21 10:39 AM
06/22/21 10:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Would this pass the Blaze Orange rule??

[Linked Image]

It's not "BLAZE ORANGE" . But, I could see that a Mile away !!

in the 1970s it passed the red law

most guys red and black plaid got so dirty it could not be seen so well is what my dad tells me he opted for an all red coat we have always done deer drives , seeing your crew is important.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread