No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion #7292064
06/23/21 06:27 AM
06/23/21 06:27 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Anyone on here ever rent a houseboat? How did you like it, was sea/motion sickness a issue for
Anyone? Can you fish fairly well off them. Do you secure them out in the lake or up to shore,
Were thinking of renting one on lake vermillion. Will have three boys with from age 4-6 is that too young
In your opinion?

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292080
06/23/21 06:45 AM
06/23/21 06:45 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Can't help with that lake, but

My wife gets deathly ill if out on a regular boat but if we go out on a pontoon boat she's ok. I don't get the difference but that's how it goes for her.

The kids will remember more and do better at fishing if a couple years older, but never miss a chance to take them fishing!

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292082
06/23/21 06:47 AM
06/23/21 06:47 AM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Never rented but spent a good bit of my life on the water. Never had an issue with turning green on the water but have seen others turn green in a bath tub. It's all individual, but most are absolutely fine on any inland water. My personal limit is around eight foot swells though. Fishing is going to depend on layout. Open deck, yes. Built out to the gunwales, no. Tie off to the shore, there's more to anchoring than meets the eye. Don't know that body of water. And not to young if PFD is worn at all times not in an enclosed space and under adult supervision at all times.

However, the questions suggest caution not to bite off more than personal experience and skill will let you chew.
Water can be unforgiving of mistakes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292151
06/23/21 09:10 AM
06/23/21 09:10 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
The best cure for sea sickness is to sit under an old oak for half and hour. Works every time. Yes you can fish of a houseboat, no you don't need to cast as you are already out there where other folks try to cast to. No they are not to young for a trip like that. Just make sure they wear a life jacket. On a lake I would tie up to shore instead of tangling the anchor in some sunken trees.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292227
06/23/21 12:11 PM
06/23/21 12:11 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
thanks for the sound advice so far! My wife is the only one I’m worried about getting sick as she does when we go on a charter boat but never get sick on a pontoon or in a regular fishing boat!

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292409
06/23/21 06:20 PM
06/23/21 06:20 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Anyone on here ever rent a houseboat? How did you like it, was sea/motion sickness a issue for
Anyone? Can you fish fairly well off them. Do you secure them out in the lake or up to shore,
Were thinking of renting one on lake vermillion. Will have three boys with from age 4-6 is that too young
In your opinion?

House boats are a great way to do a family fishing trip. Think of the houseboat more as your base or campsite than to fish from. Most resorts supply a fishing boat to pull behind.
You beach the houseboats at designated areas around the lake on islands or sheltered coves. Then head out fishing. Family might come along or stay back and lounge or swim or hike the islands.
Kids that age will have a blast.
Sea sickness should not be an issue as you can pick calm seas to move from one site to the next.

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292417
06/23/21 06:35 PM
06/23/21 06:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
thanks for the sound advice so far! My wife is the only one I’m worried about getting sick as she does when we go on a charter boat but never get sick on a pontoon or in a regular fishing boat!

Just get her one of those canvas buckets to hang around her neck and have fun.
Or drop her off on shore to cut and split some campfire wood for the evening.

Last edited by Boco; 06/23/21 06:36 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7292668
06/24/21 07:05 AM
06/24/21 07:05 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I have spoken with the owners of that place and decided to go elsewhere. I have done houseboats on Kabetogema/Namakan twice, once with just my wife, and once with wife and four kids down to age 2. TONS OF FUN! No you really cant fish from them you need to tow your own boat or rent one. This is kinda spendy but a trip you will never forget.

Vermilion is a beautiful lake but Rainy or other lakes that have houseboat rentals are less busy with boat traffic. I prefer the more wilderness experience. I would spend my time in Voyageurs national Park if I were you. Just my opinion.

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: BernieB.] #7292669
06/24/21 07:08 AM
06/24/21 07:08 AM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
Originally Posted by BernieB.
I have spoken with the owners of that place and decided to go elsewhere. I have done houseboats on Kabetogema/Namakan twice, once with just my wife, and once with wife and four kids down to age 2. TONS OF FUN! No you really cant fish from them you need to tow your own boat or rent one. This is kinda spendy but a trip you will never forget.

Vermilion is a beautiful lake but Rainy or other lakes that have houseboat rentals are less busy with boat traffic. I prefer the more wilderness experience. I would spend my time in Voyageurs national Park if I were you. Just my opinion.

Exactly my sentiments also. Much more opportunity in Rainy/Kab. Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7293241
06/24/21 09:08 PM
06/24/21 09:08 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Thanks for the info, I’ll look into those places. The main reason we were looking at
Vermillion was because it’s a few hours shorter of a drive and the shorter the better for us with
The kids.

Re: Renting a Houseboat?? Lake vermillion [Re: NE Wildlife] #7293258
06/24/21 09:43 PM
06/24/21 09:43 PM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
We rented a houseboat in canada, thousand islands. It was fun but kinda hard to fish from. Cant really get it into the good spots to fish. We took a small boat and kayaks along. Tied up to docks to sleep. No sea sick people and we even had the big barges going by in the middle of the night. Best way to keep the kids from getting sea sick is dont tell them they might get sea sick, dont say a word. And make sure they dont see mom puking over the side.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread