No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: beaverpeeler] #7292390
06/23/21 05:41 PM
06/23/21 05:41 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I just planted 3 acres of blueberries last fall, have plants coming in for another acre this fall and have another 1 acre already in full production. It takes 5-8 workers per acre to pick blueberries. To say that I'm concerned about labor shortages would be an understatement.

Back in the day when we had a porous border it was easy to meet your labor needs....in the meantime we have people of all ages milling around in homeless camps begging for stuff. This country is in deep trouble.

Can we make a deal with Mexico and trade about 5 million people? We'll give them 5 of our homeless for every one of theirs currently at the border looking for a better life up north.

You can thank a Democrat. Just sayin.

No Jab.
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292395
06/23/21 05:43 PM
06/23/21 05:43 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
I have been with the same employer for 23 years. They have always paid a competitive wage, benefits, and opportunity to move up with some work for the area . For the first 17-18 years turnover nor absenteeism was an issue. The 5 years it has gotten gradually worse. Started out getting plenty of applicants, but out of 10 new hires 3 or 4 would make the 90 day probationary period due to being late, leaving early, or not showing at all. We recently had 12 open positions and only received 3 applications total. The company has raised the starting wage a few times and this closes the pay gap between entry level and the more senior or higher skilled workers. This creates a whole other problem.

Last edited by garymc; 06/23/21 05:44 PM.
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: garymc] #7292404
06/23/21 06:11 PM
06/23/21 06:11 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by garymc
I have been with the same employer for 23 years. They have always paid a competitive wage, benefits, and opportunity to move up with some work for the area . For the first 17-18 years turnover nor absenteeism was an issue. The 5 years it has gotten gradually worse. Started out getting plenty of applicants, but out of 10 new hires 3 or 4 would make the 90 day probationary period due to being late, leaving early, or not showing at all. We recently had 12 open positions and only received 3 applications total. The company has raised the starting wage a few times and this closes the pay gap between entry level and the more senior or higher skilled workers. This creates a whole other problem.

Yes it does .......

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: garymc] #7292425
06/23/21 06:42 PM
06/23/21 06:42 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by garymc

From each according to their ability to each according to their need.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7292437
06/23/21 07:01 PM
06/23/21 07:01 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
I have between 12 to 14 men at my post mill. 1/3 are mid 50's guys that have been mill workers all their lives, live close, and live simple. 1/3 Are 20 something young bucks that come and go, they are on green chain mostly. 1/3 mid 30's men not long out of jail for child support. Every man gets 10 to 12 hours overtime every week. Starting pay $11.00, .50 cent raise at 30 days another .50 cents at 60 days. After 60 days, every 2 months I look through my daily notes and bump wages where deserved and earned. I am on a busy state road with a BIG HELP wanted sign out all summer. The sign has become a local landmark, conversation piece. Lol I hire 10 to get maybe 2 that last the season.

In this economy with jobs everywhere, I wouldn't get out of bed for 11 bucks an hour.

Don't have to, I got a full crew and took 4 apps this week, and a few last week. Not everyone can keep up with the cook line at McDonalds. I hire a lot of guys like Coonman 220, just treat them better.

Last edited by Feedinggrounds; 06/23/21 07:03 PM.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292477
06/23/21 08:17 PM
06/23/21 08:17 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
I would and have hired off work at home weed smokers, but won't hire a drunk or a man with a drinking problem. Weed is legal in Michigan. I was shocked at how many pot smokers came out of the closet after it became legal.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7292504
06/23/21 09:06 PM
06/23/21 09:06 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I would and have hired off work at home weed smokers, but won't hire a drunk or a man with a drinking problem. Weed is legal in Michigan. I was shocked at how many pot smokers came out of the closet after it became legal.

I wouldn’t tell your insurance company they are working for you unless they are hired as independent contractors.

-Goofy-
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292523
06/23/21 09:41 PM
06/23/21 09:41 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
The power will continue to shift between employers and employees. Only the damage to our country will be greater each time. Started in a manufacturing company right out of high school in 1992. Payed little and treated like you were replaceable everyday. Not that the company was bad that WAS the climate at the time in the workplace. But I stuck through the lack of "appreciation", lay offs, etc. over the years. In 2005 had a chance to buy in and did. Majority owner now and can tell you that over years since buying in the focus has been on the employee. Wage hikes, time off, health care, etc.. Meant a lot when everything fell apart in the real estate bubble burst. Had applications for miles because the world recessed. Was hiring too because customers were pulling out of competitors left and right due to poor financials and we had no debt. Now you can't hire someone to save your life. Yes the government money is a problem but more is we are multiple generations of people willing to exist of the government hand outs. Covid made them handouts living high on the hog but that only lasts so long. The fight is not for the unemployed now but the employed. Which is now a much smaller pool of folks. We are talking about the people that want more than what the government will hand out for themselves and their family. Fact a good portion of unemployed people will not show up to an scheduled interview or orientation. They are used to not working and can live off the man. Also, a healthy portion of useful employed are either never going to jump ship because of the investment of time in their job or the employer will pay up to keep them from going. Thus no applicants for open jobs. The fact is the employers that can position themselves for the next "bubble burst" (and one will be coming just time will tell) will win the spoils. The goal should be as an employee and employer to not take greedy advantage of your position. Employer how many of your employees do you still have from your last "bubble burst"? Employee did you take each advantage of each employee shortage to extort your employer or jump to the next desperate ship? Human nature sucks and our government preys on it and plays us like puppets. Divide and keep them under rule! just my 2 cents.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292536
06/23/21 09:50 PM
06/23/21 09:50 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
What's funny to me is as much as everyone is hiring, NO ONE is hiring part time. If you're not wanting to work 60+ hours a week, you ain't finding anything other than a burger flipper.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292546
06/23/21 10:02 PM
06/23/21 10:02 PM
MN
Q
Quartermastersir Offline
trapper
Quartermastersir  Offline
trapper
Q

MN
Friend of mine works for a concrete company which wants to get into framing houses. Friend mentioned to his boss that I used to frame (in 2008!!!) and might be willing to work 2-3 days per week for some walkin around money. His boss called me the NEXT DAY. The labor issue around here is so screwed that a 63 year old retired guy, working part time, is a viable option!!??? These kids think that work is a place you go-not a thing you do. So if they simply show up that's pretty much the end of their responsibility.
Starting to see some articles by the usual jackolanterns that the labor issue is simply a wage issue. The gov't has entered the labor market by paying people to stay home, thereby making it more expensive and difficult to hire them away. Private sector entities shouldn't have to compete with the gov't for workers, only each other.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7292631
06/24/21 03:09 AM
06/24/21 03:09 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

I wouldn’t tell your insurance company they are working for you unless they are hired as independent contractors.

There in lies a large part of the problem. The insurance companies offered cheaper rates if companies policies could discriminate against pot smokers. Now it comes back to bite them in the arse when they cant find a burger flipper because young folks like to smoke weed just like the older generation liked to drink alcohol. (which is actually a bigger liability than a harmless pot smoker.) cant get out of bed hung over, cant drive, DWI, etc etc...

You would get the same results if they discriminated against alcohol users if you test to see if they had a drink in the past month and then label them unemployable because the insurance wants to welch out on paying claims.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7292637
06/24/21 04:41 AM
06/24/21 04:41 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan

Insurance guy most likely smokes weed too. They can eat the stuff in a cookie at lunch now.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: yukonjeff] #7292641
06/24/21 05:22 AM
06/24/21 05:22 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
[quote=Feedinggrounds]I would and have hired off work at home weed smokers, but won't hire a drunk or a man with a drinking problem. Weed is legal in Michigan. I was shocked at how many pot smokers came out of the closet after it became legal.

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
There in lies a large part of the problem. The insurance companies offered cheaper rates if companies policies could discriminate against pot smokers. Now it comes back to bite them in the arse when they cant find a burger flipper because young folks like to smoke weed just like the older generation liked to drink alcohol. (which is actually a bigger liability than a harmless pot smoker.) cant get out of bed hung over, cant drive, DWI, etc etc...

You would get the same results if they discriminated against alcohol users if you test to see if they had a drink in the past month and then label them unemployable because the insurance wants to welch out on paying claims.

Having EVERYONE tested after an accident is not discrimination.

It’s not the claims they are concerned about. It’s the lawsuits.

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 06/24/21 05:24 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Quartermastersir] #7292708
06/24/21 08:20 AM
06/24/21 08:20 AM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
Originally Posted by Quartermastersir
The labor issue around here is so screwed that a 63 year old retired guy, working part time, is a viable option!!???

I am starting to see this as well. I intend to Semi-retire in 4 years at 55, but have some options from more than one employer to work a few days a week if I want. I joked with one past employer that I wanted to work Tuesday through Thursday with no travel. He asked me when I wanted to start.

I had a friend that was a chemical engineer that gave his employer a full years notice for retirement a few years ago. It came to the end of the year and retirement time. They had not found a suitable replacement so they offered my friend to stay on 3 days a week at full salary until they found some one. This drug on for almost another year. They finally found a replacement and paid my buddy full salary for another 6 months to mentor the guy 2 days a week.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292781
06/24/21 10:26 AM
06/24/21 10:26 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I thought of this topic while I was sitting in some traffic yesterday. Literally every tractor / trailer, commercial van, and service truck I saw had a "we are hiring" sign on it. Not a magnet that could be put up for a day until 1 or 2 more guys got hired- permanent signs. I can't help but think that if a man wanted a job he could go find one.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: SundanceMtnMan] #7292785
06/24/21 10:37 AM
06/24/21 10:37 AM
north Idaho
decoy Offline
trapper
decoy  Offline
trapper

north Idaho
That's what all I'm hearing. My son who works in the oil fields said they can't find workers either and the ones that they do find are what they call worms and other names Paul won't allow grin

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7292903
06/24/21 01:47 PM
06/24/21 01:47 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
[

Having EVERYONE tested after an accident is not discrimination.

It’s not the claims they are concerned about. It’s the lawsuits.[/quote]

Yes it is. They dont test for alcohol before a hire. only after an accident, and then looking to see if the guy smoked a joint in the last month. All while not concerned at all if the employee was out all night drinking and hung over that day.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292917
06/24/21 02:02 PM
06/24/21 02:02 PM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
My son got hired last June after he got his driver's licenses. He's the only one left out of 12 people that started .

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292921
06/24/21 02:14 PM
06/24/21 02:14 PM
TN
Oreamnos Offline
trapper
Oreamnos  Offline
trapper

TN
I posted two job openings this spring. I had over 200 people apply to those two positions. Pay range was $14-$19. I picked the best two and pay them $17/hr. Both have around 6 years of experience in their respective fields. One position requires no degree. The other requires a 3 month technical degree. After hiring and closing the posts on Indeed I had several people reach out via Facebook and email wanting to know if I was hiring.

Re: Employers :Finding workers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7292954
06/24/21 02:55 PM
06/24/21 02:55 PM
north central Iowa
P
possum63 Offline
trapper
possum63  Offline
trapper
P

north central Iowa
[Linked Image]