No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
When did Colleges start doing this??? #7293954
06/26/21 12:12 AM
06/26/21 12:12 AM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline OP
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline OP
trapper

NY
A Massachusetts university compiled a growing list of words and phrases it considers “oppressive” and discouraged people from using them.

The phrase “killing it,” for example, is language Brandeis University wants people to stop using.

"If someone is doing well, we don’t need to equate that to murder," Brandeis’s Prevention, Advocacy, and Resource Center wrote in a new "oppressive language list."

The list is divided into five categories: violent language, identity-based language, language that doesn’t say what we mean, culturally appropriative language, and person-first alternatives.

“Take a shot/stab at,” “trigger warning,” and “go off the reservation” are all on the “violent language” list because they “needlessly use imagery of hurting someone or something.”

People should also stop using “rule of thumb,” another phrase on the list, as the “expression allegedly comes from an old British law allowing men to beat their wives with sticks no wider than their thumb.”

The “identity-based language” list includes terms that are masculine-dominant, such as “you guys,” “policeman,” “congressman,” and "freshman.”

“Ladies and gentlemen,” a phrase often used to address a crowd of mixed genders, should also not be used, as it is “within the gender binary, which doesn’t include everyone.”

The term “African American” should also stop being used. “Black” is listed as a “possible alternative” as “not all Black people are from Africa and/or America.”

Even a more generic term such as “people of color” is considered “oppressive,” as the center said: “If you are talking about a specific racial group, name the group you are talking about.”

Similarly, “transsexual” is a word people “outside of that group should not use.” Instead, the school recommends people simply refer to them as “trans and gender non-conforming folk.”

The word "picnic" also made the list because it is "often associated with lynchings of Black people in the United States, during which White spectators were said to have watched while eating, referring to them as picnics or other terms involving racial slurs against Black people."

The university also encourages people to stop using words such as “crazy," "insane," "wild," "lame," or "walk-in,” as in a walk-in appointment, because they are “ableist.”

Brandeis’s PARC discouraged the use of euphemisms, vagueness, or any “language that doesn't say what we mean.”

The “oppressive” list also discourages the use of “victim,” “survivor,” “addict,” “prostitute,” or “homeless person.”

In April 2015, Brandeis University launched an effort to raise awareness of microaggressions against Asian students. At the time, the school installed a display that recognized microaggressive phrases, including, “Aren’t you supposed to be good at math?” and “I’m colorblind! I don’t see race.”

The display was controversial, and after backlash from the Asian students it attempted to help, who said the display was a microaggression, it was removed.

The association and its president apologized to the student body and to anyone who was “triggered or hurt by the content of the microaggressions.”

Seems to me that the College should be TEACHING Students the skills needed for their EDUCATION , so that they can get good jobs. Who came up with all this "don't say anything that might offend someone", nonsense???

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293961
06/26/21 12:37 AM
06/26/21 12:37 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Well thats retarded.
I can say that cause it's not on the list.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293964
06/26/21 12:53 AM
06/26/21 12:53 AM
PA
F
Flint Lock Offline
trapper
Flint Lock  Offline
trapper
F

PA
Originally Posted by Canvasback2

“Ladies and gentlemen,” a phrase often used to address a crowd of mixed genders, should also not be used, as it is “within the gender binary, which doesn’t include everyone.”

I have to agree with this one. Can't remember the last time I met a proper gentleman or a lady.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293965
06/26/21 01:01 AM
06/26/21 01:01 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Well I have a few words for them to add to the list and I plan to keep using them.

[Linked Image]
Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293966
06/26/21 01:13 AM
06/26/21 01:13 AM
Southeast, Alaska
S
SE.Current Offline
trapper
SE.Current  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast, Alaska
Heard at work that “they” want to start calling us journeypersons instead of journeyman and also not calling ourself power lineman anymore. What a joke. Wonder if my license will ever say journeyperson lineperson.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293985
06/26/21 05:28 AM
06/26/21 05:28 AM
NH
T
trapNH Offline
trapper
trapNH  Offline
trapper
T

NH
This country is going to hadies in a handbasket.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293987
06/26/21 05:51 AM
06/26/21 05:51 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

These doodle heads (not on the list) don't seem to realize what human history has taught. They missed that class I guess.
You can't legalize righteous behavior. The self-righteous always think they can. They never, ever stop being self-righteous and they are dim-wits (not on the list).
Words matter of course. It's one of the ways we humans communicate, but if they think that not saying a word(s) will change someone's heart, they are either;
A. Ignorant or B. Foolish.

Change of heart starts with a person own heart, not the words someone else casts at it.

What they propose is 100% worthless. Maybe more.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7293989
06/26/21 06:04 AM
06/26/21 06:04 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

The bigger question is when the individual was explaining all of that why didn’t someone punch them in the mouth?

That someone didn’t, is a much bigger concern.

-Goofy-
Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7293992
06/26/21 06:11 AM
06/26/21 06:11 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
The bigger question is when the individual was explaining all of that why didn’t someone punch them in the mouth?

I doubt punching will prove any point to the dudes and dudettes who think the word "picnic" might be offensive.
They'll just want to outlaw knuckles after an upper cut.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294001
06/26/21 06:30 AM
06/26/21 06:30 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Been going on for years on various iterations. Y'all need better news sources.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294003
06/26/21 06:33 AM
06/26/21 06:33 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
The left side of the equation doesn't care about American history or equality. It's all about getting what they want. And having a puppet in charge that repeats what he's told isn't helping.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: ] #7294005
06/26/21 06:42 AM
06/26/21 06:42 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Mark June

I doubt punching will prove any point to the dudes and dudettes who think the word "picnic" might be offensive.
They'll just want to outlaw knuckles after an upper cut.

I disagree. When I was a kid growing up a quick hand stalled stupidity.

-Goofy-
Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294010
06/26/21 07:09 AM
06/26/21 07:09 AM
Pennsylvania
C
Claypool313 Offline
trapper
Claypool313  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Didnt do that sorta thing in my college. All we did was study, drink beer, and chase girls.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294015
06/26/21 07:58 AM
06/26/21 07:58 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I'm not a pacifist HT, but you won't be able to convince me a knuckle sandwich changes the person getting smacked at their core. Maybe make them afraid of you, or stop them for that moment.

You didn't ever have after school fights turn into bigger after school fights the day after?
If not, then you didn't grow up with the kiddos around me.
They loved a good fight those Irish kids or the tough dudes from the "Boy's Farm"... as it was called then.
It's probably called something pretty now, if it's still there.

An eye for an eye is the polar opposite of the True meaning of that verse but we sure like to think we have license for revenge.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: ] #7294018
06/26/21 08:12 AM
06/26/21 08:12 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I'm not a pacifist HT, but you won't be able to convince me a knuckle sandwich changes the person getting smacked at their core. Maybe make them afraid of you, or stop them for that moment. When someone is stupid enough to speak such nonsense, they must be informed the inspiration of the whack.

You didn't ever have after school fights turn into bigger after school fights the day after?
They loved a good fight those Irish kids or the tough dudes from the "Boy's Farm"... as it was called then.
It's probably called something pretty now, if it's still there. Fights at our school lasted so long Tee shirts where made and worn with the opponents name on them.

An eye for an eye is the polar opposite of the True meaning of that verse but we sure like to think we have license for revenge. Education is not revenge

Blessings, PBUY
Mark

-Goofy-
Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294029
06/26/21 08:27 AM
06/26/21 08:27 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
It was going on in the 70's already with the hippie counterculture. Negro, Afro-American, African American, Black and People of Color is one example of the progression. Ever since Vietnam the colleges have become a haven for the perpetually offended.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7294077
06/26/21 09:37 AM
06/26/21 09:37 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I'm not a pacifist HT, but you won't be able to convince me a knuckle sandwich changes the person getting smacked at their core. Maybe make them afraid of you, or stop them for that moment. When someone is stupid enough to speak such nonsense, they must be informed the inspiration of the whack.

It's probably called something pretty now, if it's still there. Fights at our school lasted so long Tee shirts where made and worn with the opponents name on them.

An eye for an eye is the polar opposite of the True meaning of that verse but we sure like to think we have license for revenge. Education is not revenge

Blessings, PBUY
Mark

HT,
I gotta be honest. If there's not a couple auto spell check errors in this sentence, I can't make a heads or a tails from your post.
I'm not sure but you may be calling me stupid for not believing as you do?
I think you're proud of T-shirts?
You consider eye for eye education?
And PBUY? <<< I don't speak that language.
Did you get popped a bunch by the other kids growing up?
If so, they may have been educatin' you.
confused

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294083
06/26/21 09:48 AM
06/26/21 09:48 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Hobbie talks big. I'm still waiting for him to start his civil war, armed resistance or whatever.

I doubt he's ever punched anyone. Punched by others? Very likely.

Back to the actual topic...colleges are screwed up but raise kids right and they'll get an education and come out just fine.

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: Canvasback2] #7294087
06/26/21 09:55 AM
06/26/21 09:55 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Agreed Blaine County > universities as a whole have changed even in our lifetime. They are heavily staffed by progressives as we know, and since our culture is a culture that gravitates towards those we admire.... young brains can fall for something if they don't stand for anything.

Isn't there a song about that? wink

Blessings,
Mark

Re: When did Colleges start doing this??? [Re: ] #7294108
06/26/21 10:32 AM
06/26/21 10:32 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Blessings, PBUY
Mark

HT,
I gotta be honest. If there's not a couple auto spell check errors in this sentence, I can't make a heads or a tails from your post.
I'm not sure but you may be calling me stupid for not believing as you do?
I think you're proud of T-shirts? You mentioned fights continuing “after” school, takes awhile to make tee shirts to be worn indicating length a fight would go on.
You consider eye for eye education? Eye for an eye is being the hot stove when someone touches it?
And PBUY? <<< I don't speak that language. Peace be upon you.
Did you get popped a bunch by the other kids growing up?
If so, they may have been educatin' you.
confused

-Goofy-
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread