No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Bear? #7297063
06/30/21 10:38 PM
06/30/21 10:38 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I have a small number of black bears in my area. I saw one 3 times a few years ago. One of my neighbors, who lived 6/10ths of a mile down the road from me, saw a black bear a lot.

Last year when the black raspberries were on good, something got in most of the bigger patches and smashed them flat and ate the ripe berries and tips off. I figured it was deer or coons.

A few nights ago, after dark, I could hear something smashing black raspberries down. It made a lot of noise when I went towards it, but moved slowly away. I took my catahoula pups out, shortly afterwards and Louie, the male pup, ran off into the hay field and stared at something, without barking. When I shined my weak light past him, I saw 2 widely spaced, small eyes, a little lower than deer height. Whatever it was turned and ambled off. I could not get it to look back again, even though I made bunch of different noises.

Last night, I went out to kill 42 chickens and heard something in another berry patch huffing and growling. It got louder when I went toward it and then got silent.

If it is a bear, how easy is it to find sign? The ground is dry and hard right now, so I doubt there will be any tracks. Does bear hair get stuck on briars easily?

Do bears defecate in the open or sort of hide it?

How likely is a bear to push through wire mesh to go into a barn after pigeons and poultry?

I have a 240 pound aggressive dog and a 160 pound dog in another area. I would guess if I put them where I don't want the bear to go it won't go in. Do bears usually stay away from dogs?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297076
06/30/21 11:04 PM
06/30/21 11:04 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
No personal bear knowledge but according to others online bears and standard poultry mesh is dinner. Speaking to many beekeepers in bear country the only reliable fence is a very hot one. General consensus is a black will back off or run from a yappy dog but all bets are off if it's a catch dog. In hound hunting circles it's said there's no such thing as old dumb dogs.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297098
06/30/21 11:41 PM
06/30/21 11:41 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Bears will flatten the grass and bushes, and you should find piles a bear crap with berries in it. They are not shy about crapping in the woods.

And yes you can find hair on trails and in tight brush. Keep in mind they might get protective of their berry patch. Good idea to be armed when walking around there.

I live on the edge of the village I get bears around the house every summer. We had two in town this week . I have two big dogs, one is a highbred and the other is a malamute that bark at everybody and everything. They are a big deterrent when it comes to bears.

My chickens and quail are near my house. No bear tried to get in them yet been a couple years now. But I keep a gun handy because it is a real possibility.

I keep my beehives about fifty yards up the hill from them. Last summer a brown came in and knocked over one hive and the dogs barking scared it away. He did come back and got 10,000 volts from my fence and then shot eating in my neighbors garbage.

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297099
06/30/21 11:45 PM
06/30/21 11:45 PM
Arkansas
F
Flattail1961 Offline
trapper
Flattail1961  Offline
trapper
F

Arkansas
Originally Posted by KeithC
I have a small number of black bears in my area. I saw one 3 times a few years ago. One of my neighbors, who lived 6/10ths of a mile down the road from me, saw a black bear a lot.

Last year when the black raspberries were on good, something got in most of the bigger patches and smashed them flat and ate the ripe berries and tips off. I figured it was deer or coons.

A few nights ago, after dark, I could hear something smashing black raspberries down. It made a lot of noise when I went towards it, but moved slowly away. I took my catahoula pups out, shortly afterwards and Louie, the male pup, ran off into the hay field and stared at something, without barking. When I shined my weak light past him, I saw 2 widely spaced, small eyes, a little lower than deer height. Whatever it was turned and ambled off. I could not get it to look back again, even though I made bunch of different noises.

Last night, I went out to kill 42 chickens and heard something in another berry patch huffing and growling. It got louder when I went toward it and then got silent.

If it is a bear, how easy is it to find sign? The ground is dry and hard right now, so I doubt there will be any tracks. Does bear hair get stuck on briars easily?

Do bears defecate in the open or sort of hide it?

How likely is a bear to push through wire mesh to go into a barn after pigeons and poultry?

I have a 240 pound aggressive dog and a 160 pound dog in another area. I would guess if I put them where I don't want the bear to go it won't go in. Do bears usually stay away from dogs?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297108
07/01/21 12:01 AM
Arkansas
F
Flattail1961 Offline
trapper
Flattail1961  Offline
trapper
F

Arkansas
In my job as a wildlife biologist I've worked with wild black bears for over 30 years now. I've never heard a black bear growl. An aggressive sound they make when threatened is more of a huffing sound, followed immediately by popping their jaws together. I've heard females make a low grunting sound to warn Cubs of danger and they'll respond by climbing the nearest tree. As for livestock depredation I've never documented any actual killing of livestock, especially any that have dogs around. In short black bears look for an easy meal that they don't have to chase down. They may feed on dead livestock killed by something else and maybe on a rare occasion where they encountered a sick or newborn animal catch it. They are far more interested in getting into your livestock food supply like corn, grain sweet feed, etc. As for a bear and dog interaction, a small terrier can tree a 400 lb male bear and keep him in a tree as long as he barks. As for bear sign, tracks are hard to mistake. Bear scat or poop is typically loose like they have diarrhea. They don't digest plant material well and one feeding on berries will leave obvious loose scat with berries easily seen. Your best preventative to avoid bears is to keep a clean place with no easy food sources like grain, dog food, fish grease or cooking oils. They have a phenomenal sense of smell and will seek out these foods and are resourceful at getting at food items that aren't secured well. Hope this helps.

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297109
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Online content
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Online Content
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
If it is a bear there will be a lot of scat around. It should be east to find. They will definitely flatten a berry patch.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297134
07/01/21 05:21 AM
07/01/21 05:21 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Get a better flashlight !!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Bear? [Re: Flattail1961] #7297168
07/01/21 07:13 AM
07/01/21 07:13 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Flattail1961
In my job as a wildlife biologist I've worked with wild black bears for over 30 years now. I've never heard a black bear growl. An aggressive sound they make when threatened is more of a huffing sound, followed immediately by popping their jaws together. I've heard females make a low grunting sound to warn Cubs of danger and they'll respond by climbing the nearest tree. As for livestock depredation I've never documented any actual killing of livestock, especially any that have dogs around. In short black bears look for an easy meal that they don't have to chase down. They may feed on dead livestock killed by something else and maybe on a rare occasion where they encountered a sick or newborn animal catch it. They are far more interested in getting into your livestock food supply like corn, grain sweet feed, etc. As for a bear and dog interaction, a small terrier can tree a 400 lb male bear and keep him in a tree as long as he barks. As for bear sign, tracks are hard to mistake. Bear scat or poop is typically loose like they have diarrhea. They don't digest plant material well and one feeding on berries will leave obvious loose scat with berries easily seen. Your best preventative to avoid bears is to keep a clean place with no easy food sources like grain, dog food, fish grease or cooking oils. They have a phenomenal sense of smell and will seek out these foods and are resourceful at getting at food items that aren't secured well. Hope this helps.

Flattail's experiences mimic my own and his information is spot on. There are exceptions to his info on dogs though. I've seen beagles chasing a bear and watched the bear get fed up with it and turn on them. The bear chased the beagles a short distance then ambled off, the beagles kept running away. For the most part though black bears are pretty timid and will run away from the sight or sound of a dog or dogs.

I've never heard a bear growl either. In addition to the huffing and jaw popping warnings and the females grunting to warn cubs, bears also make a loud snuffling type sound when trying to locate prey by scent. I've been stalked many times while turkey hunting and have seen and heard them doing it.

If a bear has been raiding your raspberries there will almost certainly be crap nearby. It will be large and loose as described above and full of raspberry seeds. They don't try to hide it.

We have constant problems with bears at the fish hatchery the gun club near my camp runs. We even put up electric fencing but the bears tear it down. They are not after the fish but the fish food. Once they know a food source is available they are relentless.

Does Ohio have a bear season?

Eh...wot?

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297181
07/01/21 07:27 AM
07/01/21 07:27 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
There will be Scat piles as stated above.

Carry protection in thick brush.

Depending on the current put out by the fencer box and the wire or tape used bear may or may not mind the fence.
Bears have as many temperaments as people do.

Same with Dogs spooking them ,some bear get run off, some challenge the dog.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297201
07/01/21 08:12 AM
07/01/21 08:12 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
All this info is null and void if its a sow with cubs and u or dog gets inbetween them!! It's not pretty! Just sayin!!

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297227
07/01/21 08:56 AM
07/01/21 08:56 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
You need a game camera maybe.

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297254
07/01/21 09:42 AM
07/01/21 09:42 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
A flattened berry patch is standard bear M.O. As stated above, bear crap should be there in quantity.....bears crap early and often. The snuffling, huffing and tooth-popping are my experience as well, but have been in on some hand-to-hand between bruins and hounddogs where the bear made some pretty hair raising growly type noises. I personally never literally shat my drawers during those intense hound/bear encounters, but a time or two my tupper string did get frayed a bit.

Re: Bear? [Re: KeithC] #7297267
07/01/21 10:03 AM
07/01/21 10:03 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by KeithC

I don't know but I've been told they can be trained to exclude themselves with a hot wire fence

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread