No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Our first Blue berry harvest. [Re: Providence Farm] #7298147
07/02/21 07:13 PM
07/02/21 07:13 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Interesting side note: I saw on line that Centra Blue was being sold by a nursery in France while it was still in quarantine at Fall Creek and not yet available. I sent a email to the French nursery asking if I could buy plants from them. About a week letter I got a letter from Fall Creek Nursery letting me know that their legal dept was aware of my plant inquiry and were "looking into it".

Rotten French nurseryman turned me in!

Thanks for the education. What do you do if the plants die or just left in a field if you decided they were no longer your thing. Still have to pay every year? How may years do you have to pay? 7 years tell they are prime then at some point they go down hill.

Would really have to be exceptional to catch my interest with the extra hassle and restrictions. Then again it it it was not worth it growers would not buy them.

Guess you could have had them shiped to a French middle man/friend then shaped to you.

You just pay the royalty once when you buy the plants.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Our first Blue berry harvest. [Re: Providence Farm] #7298151
07/02/21 07:21 PM
07/02/21 07:21 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Animal manure will not help acidify soil. In fact too much animal manure will build up salts which blueberries are sensitive to.

The best way to get ground ready for blueberries is to acidify with sulfur at least one year in advance and then test for soil pH. You want the pH at 5.2 or less. In calcareous soils is will be tough but I think it can be done. I would incorporate about 3-4 inches of sawdust into the soil before planting too. Sawdust will be about 5.5 pH and will help make a good high organic soil mix for the roots. Note that you will need to double the amount of nitrogen at first since the sawdust will be robbing it. We use either fish emulsion or feather meal in our operation.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Our first Blue berry harvest. [Re: Providence Farm] #7298154
07/02/21 07:24 PM
07/02/21 07:24 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Blueberries are good stuff. We have lots of wild ones on our place. They are a real chore to pick though, and you'll have to pick a long time to get enough to make a pie or two. These wild ones are quite small. After having some logging done years back, the next summer we had bunches, enough to invite the kin folk over to pick their own after we had enough stored away. This year there are quite a few berries forming, but the Gypsy Moths have stripped the plants of their leaves. I doubt the berries will ripen at all.

Re: Our first Blue berry harvest. [Re: beaverpeeler] #7298358
07/03/21 07:18 AM
07/03/21 07:18 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Animal manure will not help acidify soil. In fact too much animal manure will build up salts which blueberries are sensitive to.

The best way to get ground ready for blueberries is to acidify with sulfur at least one year in advance and then test for soil pH. You want the pH at 5.2 or less. In calcareous soils is will be tough but I think it can be done. I would incorporate about 3-4 inches of sawdust into the soil before planting too. Sawdust will be about 5.5 pH and will help make a good high organic soil mix for the roots. Note that you will need to double the amount of nitrogen at first since the sawdust will be robbing it. We use either fish emulsion or feather meal in our operation.

Thanks for the reply.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Our first Blue berry harvest. [Re: Providence Farm] #7298380
07/03/21 08:12 AM
07/03/21 08:12 AM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
We are blessed with the best blueberry bushes I've ever saw. My dad bought his place 40 years ago and they were 7 mature bushes already there( not sure the variety). And we average getting around 30 gallon a year off these 7 bushes, and the first ones to ripen will be almost quarter sized and I've never tasted any as sweet. We have bought other plants over the years but that don't produce like the original ones

Re: Our first Blue berry harvest. [Re: RM trapper] #7298393
07/03/21 08:32 AM
07/03/21 08:32 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by RM trapper
We are blessed with the best blueberry bushes I've ever saw. My dad bought his place 40 years ago and they were 7 mature bushes already there( not sure the variety). And we average getting around 30 gallon a year off these 7 bushes, and the first ones to ripen will be almost quarter sized and I've never tasted any as sweet. We have bought other plants over the years but that don't produce like the original ones

Try grafting off the originals.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread