No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Close encounters of the bear kind. [Re: J.Morse] #7299472
07/04/21 11:16 PM
07/04/21 11:16 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I've seen where some have said they've lived in bear country all their life and never seen a bear,I was never that lucky.I've seen plenty,and not from the front seat of the truck.Never felt threatened,just uncomfortable.I think the closest call was one spring I was trapping beaver and walking across a old flooding that was rough walking thru.At one point I looked up to find I was walking right up to a mother bear,who was on her hind feet watching me come at her,2 cubs were in the one and only tree still standing in the clearing with a third trying to climb it.I turned and started back to the truck as fast as I could,which wasn't very fast.The bad thing was to get to the pond you had to walk thru the meadow and the pond was in a thick cedar swamp.I remember going back with a .44 magnum carbine with my head on a swivel.I got to the pond and I pulled the three traps I had there along with the two beaver Is caught.It was a long walk walking thru that jungle with the rifle in one hand a trap in the other,2 beaver and the third trap in my pack basket.Never did see the bear and her cubs again

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Close encounters of the bear kind. [Re: J.Morse] #7299736
07/05/21 11:17 AM
07/05/21 11:17 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline OP
trapper
J.Morse  Offline OP
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Cool story, Buck. I had a neighbor that lived up the road a mile or so. He was my Old Man's age. Except for his WW2 trip to Europe, he lived right here in this neighbord his whole long life. He was an avid hunter/fisher/trapper that spent a good deal of time in and around the Dead Stream Swamp. The Deadstream is an excellent bear hunting area near us, and the location of my other story about my co-worker that was treed for 5 hours. My neighbor was in his late 70's before he ever laid eyes on a wild bear, when one finally scampered across the road in front of his truck one day. You never know. My All Purpose Girl lives about 15 miles NW of me in a section of hilly hardwoods south of the Manistee River. She, since early childhood, has been petrified of bears. She will actually get nauseated when she sees one. She is also a bear magnet. She sees the darn things all the time, can hardly make a U-turn without waiting for the bears to get out of the way. She just sent her Mummy and I a video from her living room last week......a dandy bear had just strolled across her yard and didn't seem impressed with her two big, loudly barking dogs. She will probably have the place listed by weeks end.

Re: Close encounters of the bear kind. [Re: J.Morse] #7299865
07/05/21 03:23 PM
07/05/21 03:23 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I had an uncle who was born and raised here,farmed and deer hunted in the fall,and never saw a bear his whole life.Strange.Like your daughter,I seem to be a magnet,I've seen them while fishing,metal detecting,scouting,trapping,etc.I've seen a good amount of them driving on H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising.And that just reminded me of the time Id left a couple of doughnuts in the back of my truck while staying in Grand Marais and I walked outside to find a yearling cub squatting on my spare tire in the back of my truck while eating those jelly doughnuts.It's mother was walking up the driveway like she owned the place.Didn't take long to jump back inside,with the guys I was rooming with laughing their tails off,especially when I was yelling at the cub to get out of my truck! Yep,I've seen my share of the darn things

Last edited by Buck (Zandra); 07/05/21 03:25 PM.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Close encounters of the bear kind. [Re: J.Morse] #7299877
07/05/21 03:42 PM
07/05/21 03:42 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Funny story: 1975 helping put in a river crossing on the north slope. Guy we called Hippie was working the drag line for a cherry picker moving a tent frame. A full grown inland grizzly walked in out of the tundra. Hippie had his back to the bear. When the cherry picker driver saw all the workers pointing to his off side he turned to look. When he turned to look and saw the bear he forgot what he was doing and drove off the edge of the pad with his right front tire. This caused the boom to drop about eight feet and swing violently out over the tundra with the tent frame and Hippie in tow. The whole mess came to rest about ten feet from the foot of the pad with Hippie on his back and the frame collapsed on top of him. He was screaming that he couldn’t feel his legs and how he was going to own half of the pipeline when he got through. Two men that saw the wreck, but not the bear, started running to Hippie to help. When they got past the front tires they saw the bear and slid to a stop. Hippie was still screaming and cussing when he noticed that about fifty men including the two that were running to help were all
starring at the same place. When he turned his head to see what everyone was looking at the bear was no more than 30 feet from him. Hippie screamed even louder and threw the tent frame off him like it was nothing. The next part was kind of a blur cause even though I know it was impossible it sure seamed like Hippie went from on his back to on his feet then on the pad and by the pipe in a little under three seconds.
The bear stood up on his hind feet looked at us for several seconds and gave a loud WOOOF then dropped onto all fours and did that ground eating lope they have till he was out about a quarter mile where he stood up again for a last long look.
We all told Hippie he probably didn’t have a case after the Olympic qualifying benchpress- bogrun-high hurdle-sprint we all saw him perform.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Close encounters of the bear kind. [Re: J.Morse] #7299883
07/05/21 03:45 PM
07/05/21 03:45 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Good stories thanks

Everything the left touches it destroys
Page 2 of 2 1 2