No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7301585
07/07/21 10:45 PM
07/07/21 10:45 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I think the only true thing that will help is private landowners making a commitment to help the turkeys whether they hunt them or not. Management, both predator and timber, will have a huge impact on the surrounding properties as well. Luckily down here a lot are on board with the idea and practicing it. Plus it helps if you tel them their deer numbers will increase and the weights along with the bone, lol.
Does anyone burn anymore? I know our WMA’s do so that’s not a factor.
Private lands are faring quite well as I stated before. I even talked a “newbie” Hunter into spreading out his kills over the last couple of years and he’s now seeing more turkeys on each property he has permission.
I really hope the shortening of the season and number of birds allowed next year helps, but I don’t think it will. One thing won’t change the population.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: Wanna Be] #7301757
07/08/21 09:06 AM
07/08/21 09:06 AM
Alabama
K
KB64 Offline
trapper
KB64  Offline
trapper
K

Alabama
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
You started it so I’ll add my uneducated opinion…
1. Predators, predators, predators! Just pick a WMA and walk the roads, firebreaks, etc. I walked one 300 yard stretch where turkeys were present within the past few years and not the first turkey track, not one! Not new, not old, none. But I did find 6 piles of cat scat with 3 still within a couple of hours old. Now one kitty cat ain’t taking a crap every 50 yards or so. Cat tracks and coon tracks were everywhere along this road. Another half mile stretch I filled up 3/4 of a gallon bag with coyote scat. I saw what y’all actually mean by predator trails. I believe even I could catch a coyote or 10 on that road alone.

2. Going to upset some folks with this one, but make decoys and fanning/reaping illegal. They’ve done it for ducks with spinning wing decoys in other states, so let’s do it with turkeys. Please don’t take this wrong, but I can take a person that’s never even seen or heard a turkey and set a couple decoys in front of them and all of a sudden they are turkey killers. I can give a turkey fan to anyone capable of holding one and kill 90% of any field turkeys you have. There’s no SKILL involved in any of this. It’s basically the same as baiting to me. Throw them out and they will come. Heck I saw a guy that needed a cart to get his “essentials” to the field. And he brags how he kills his limit every year. I don’t think he could make a turkey sound if he tried, I don’t even think he owns a call. He’ll tell you straight up he doesn’t need one. In the past the only way you was going to kill a bird was to either have the patience of Job or know how to call. Not any more.

3. Habitat. I will say this about my corner of GA, our DNR folks are really really improving our habitat on our WMA’s. They’ve adopted a quail management program and if you manage for quail, everything seems to prosper.
I’ve “heard” the northern WMA’s are pretty much screwed due to no timber management. If there’s no sunlight to the forest floor, there’s no food. No food means no turkeys. It’s finally coming, but limit your hunts on WMA’s and limit the amount of birds taken. Yeah, I’ve been guilty in the past of easily taking a limit of birds off one 20K acre WMA. About 6-7 years ago, I realized there’s no need to. I can take just one bird from 3 different WMA’s. Over the last few years I only take one public land bird and kill the rest on private. Even with private land we only take one bird each (3 hunters). Just this evening I was resetting a couple of traps and topped the hill on our “hopefully” dove field and there stood 3 very long bearded gobblers and 5 jakes. I knew about the gobblers already but opted not hunting them because if I shot one I would have felt obligated to put it on the wall, lol.

I’m passionate about turkeys and trap to make money to pay for turkey trips…plus it gives me views like I saw today. I truly believe by just implementing #2 above that our population down here would explode. Also, this is just my opinion, and we all know what are opinions are like.

This ^^^^. Especially 1 & 3. I dislike the agenda in #2, especially the "reaping", but that isn't related to the lack of poult recruitment. The manage for quail and everything prospers is a good point.

Sunlight + fire is the best tool, especially if used in conjunction with a bucket full of dog proofs for the coons.

Last edited by KB64; 07/08/21 09:10 AM.
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7301759
07/08/21 09:09 AM
07/08/21 09:09 AM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
I sure wish these stupid birds were eradicated in Northern WI.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: charles] #7301766
07/08/21 09:19 AM
07/08/21 09:19 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
Originally Posted by charles
Turkey populations are healthy in NC. We feed sunflower seeds to a gobbler at our door twice daily. He is a dandy too.

I could easily argue against your comment. Populations may be increasing in some areas (populated neighborhoods that act as sanctuaries) but in the game lands, it's declining. Reading the turkey threads on multiple forums, hunters are reporting less and less gobbling activity on public lands.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: M.Magis] #7301788
07/08/21 09:58 AM
07/08/21 09:58 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by M.Magis
Lots of conspiracy theories without any common sense being used. Turkey numbers peaked 15-20 years ago, and there were the same seeds being planted then as now. Not to mention numbers are down all over the east, sometimes hundreds of miles from ag fields. So that video is nothing more than clickbait garbage. I doubt there’s one single reason for the decline, but I also doubt there are many areas that DON’T have an abundance of nest predators. I personally haven’t seen a poult for several years and I live where I can see about 100 acres of fields at any given time. I do see hens grouping back up every late May, which means they lost their nests. This has been repeating for years.

We have turkeys uP to bo ying yang here. I think there is a little more planting of plennish beans here but I don’t know if they are treated any different.

-Goofy-
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: nate] #7301793
07/08/21 10:06 AM
07/08/21 10:06 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by nate
Warrior
Thanks for that.
There's lots of ignorant people out there most wouldn't care if they read the label or not. There's folks out there that can't wait to mix there next batch of poison up to kill a weed or two or a bug or two. This no till that Monsanto came up with is a joke and has poisoned our country.

X2.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: run] #7301908
07/08/21 01:15 PM
07/08/21 01:15 PM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
X3
Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by nate
Warrior
Thanks for that.
There's lots of ignorant people out there most wouldn't care if they read the label or not. There's folks out there that can't wait to mix there next batch of poison up to kill a weed or two or a bug or two. This no till that Monsanto came up with is a joke and has poisoned our country.

X2.

X3

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7301925
07/08/21 01:46 PM
07/08/21 01:46 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
From what I’ve read and observed in the field I’m convinced most of the decline across the nation is do to nest predation. I can pick a section of creek on google earth around here. Make a couple sets on both sides of the creek and can almost guarantee that I will nab 15-20 opossums during the trapping season. Lord knows how many coons too. Combine that with the up cycle of skunks every 4-5 years and it’s a disaster for anything nesting on the ground. Cats hit them pretty hard a roosting locations but doesn’t compare to taking them out 6-10 at a time like the nest thefts do. Turkey’s have a hard go of it as it is. I haven’t looked at the stats lately but the mortality rate was 80% of hatched chicks the first year and then 50% of what was left the second year. Only 10 out of every 100 see their second birthday. Not good odds! Heavy rain and cold weather at nesting time is probably second

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7301991
07/08/21 04:19 PM
07/08/21 04:19 PM
Southern Indiana
P
Pressure9pa Offline
trapper
Pressure9pa  Offline
trapper
P

Southern Indiana
Had 3 hens with 16 poults wander through my backyard a few days ago. I've probably seen more this year than any other in the 6 years since I moved here.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302022
07/08/21 05:35 PM
07/08/21 05:35 PM
San Antonio , Texas
Y
Yotegiter Offline
trapper
Yotegiter  Offline
trapper
Y

San Antonio , Texas
Don’t forget hogs. Hogs numbers are probably up most everywhere. Hogs gunna suck up and root every nest they come to.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302030
07/08/21 05:51 PM
07/08/21 05:51 PM
SE Iowa
S
seiowatrapper Offline
trapper
seiowatrapper  Offline
trapper
S

SE Iowa
I too have observed very dramatic drops in the turkey population in my area, SE Iowa, over the past 8-10+ years. I am sure that higher predator populations are a factor in keeping numbers low now, but the turks were disappearing when fur prices were still strong and many people were trapping 6 or 7'ish years ago now. So more nest raiders cannot be the only factor IMO. Also, a big key, as the populations dropped we were finding dead adult turks and many of them, as were neighbors. This didn't just happen in one season, but was observable year round for a couple/few years. So again, the whole story cannot be just nesting, nor seasonal/weather issues.

I cannot be 100% sure of how much of a factor any given issue is...but I am certain that not all of the decline is related to just one issue. There are multiple factors/causes at play here and I hope it gets resolved, I miss hearing and seeing them. I estimate that today we have about 10% of the turks from say 10 years ago.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302033
07/08/21 06:03 PM
07/08/21 06:03 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
If the nest predation theory is correct the population should have rebounded when fur prices were high. In my area it did not it kept declining. I will give some credit to flooding decreasing nesting success but this year we have had minimal flooding and I still haven't seen any babies. In our area the population started declining when no till farming started becoming popular. When you drive by and see turkeys feeding in a field that looks like a nuclear bomb was dropped on it you have to wonder if its hurting wildlife. Where I live habitat is not an issue..

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302035
07/08/21 06:05 PM
07/08/21 06:05 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Just once more I'd like to hear a jubilee morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302055
07/08/21 06:49 PM
07/08/21 06:49 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
When people make good money on unemployment they hunt more.
Be interesting to see a harvest numbers graph.
If I take another it will be bow and arrow in springtime.

In the late 80s folks in the Burgh city suburbs fed them and made nuisances.
I think they peaked here at that time.

I'd like to hear Coal banks input on this.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: Yotegiter] #7302151
07/08/21 09:19 PM
07/08/21 09:19 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Yotegiter
Don’t forget hogs. Hogs numbers are probably up most everywhere. Hogs gunna suck up and root every nest they come to.

Some of the highest turkey populations in central and south Florida also have the highest feral hog populations. But, yes, they will eat about anything they encounter.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302198
07/08/21 10:14 PM
07/08/21 10:14 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Found this nest down in MO the hen had it hidden well it was tight between a fence and tree in a briar patch around it and a woven wire fence on the other side.

[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: Pressure9pa] #7302215
07/08/21 10:34 PM
07/08/21 10:34 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
Originally Posted by Pressure9pa
Had 3 hens with 16 poults wander through my backyard a few days ago. I've probably seen more this year than any other in the 6 years since I moved here.

Way cool.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302295
07/09/21 12:18 AM
07/09/21 12:18 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Commercial poultry operations don't want turkeys around because of potential disease contamination to captive birds, that became heavily enforced during out breaks of bird flu. I've seen multiple letters warning farmers to stay away from wild turkeys. I'm only guessing but the level of concern I saw in the poultry industry regarding turkeys lends me to believe they are carrying some type of China bird flu.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302338
07/09/21 06:02 AM
07/09/21 06:02 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Have not seen a hen with chicks yet this summer. We had a wet cold spring, seeing a lot of fawns the last 2 weeks.

Re: Turkey numbers falling [Re: warrior] #7302408
07/09/21 08:42 AM
07/09/21 08:42 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Talked to a local in SW MO a few years ago and they say that when the commercial chicken farms came in their population plummeted. I still say there is an unknown out there. Maybe we will find it out maybe not. Saw 3 hens in back of the house yesterday and 1 poult. 10+ years ago we had flocks of 50-100 in the winter now it is 15-30. Spring used to see tom(s) with 8-15 hens now it is 2-5. It will be interesting to see if the places in MN and WI that have a bunch eventually go down quick like most everywhere else.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread