No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7276917
05/31/21 10:06 PM
05/31/21 10:06 PM
Kansas
S
Smoky Hill Offline
trapper
Smoky Hill  Offline
trapper
S

Kansas
Looking forward to this event! Wanted to go in the past but finally committed to it this year.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7279160
06/04/21 05:37 AM
06/04/21 05:37 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Great, Smoky Hill, We'll see you in August!

I just wanted to mention that for folks flying in for Coyote Days, The 2 best airports in MY opinion.

I'm not a big fan of the Denver airport, and even though it looks close to Lusk, Wyoming on the map, it isn't a quick trip in most cases. The traffic is bad most days, and what should be an hour to the WY border, can be much longer. And, it takes forever to get out of there at times. But, IF you hit it right, like middle of the night, it would be a little faster. I'll call Denver my third choice.

Casper, Wyoming is only about 1 hour and 45 minutes to the west, and takes about a minute to get out of, once you get your rental car. Then its only 5 minutes and your on Interstate for about 45 miles before turning off to head to Lusk. Most flights from the West connect through SLC.

From the East, I'd fly to Rapid City, SD. It's very easy to rent a car, and get on the road fast. A small, but well laid out airport.
It's about 2 1/2 hours from Lusk, and goes through some really nice country on the way here. We use it quite a bit ourselves, and it is always simple to get in and out of, which I like. Its (RAP) in airline lingo.

If you have a little time coming from Rapid City, or driving from the east, a slight detour to drive through Chadron, NE to see The Museum of The Fur Trade is very much worth seeing too.

Anyway, flying is an option some people are using, and I've been asked which airport to use. I'm just passing on my preference and thoughts, after using those 3 various times.

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7279327
06/04/21 11:54 AM
06/04/21 11:54 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Gillette also has a decent airport, but still prolly two hours away. My wife flew in and out of there, back when I trapped up there. Usually a shuttle flight from Denver though.

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7279545
06/04/21 07:56 PM
06/04/21 07:56 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Ttt

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7280564
06/06/21 07:52 AM
06/06/21 07:52 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Lee is right, there is an airport in Gillette. It is probably closer to 3 hours away.

I'm pleased to announce that Larid Johnson, who is a retired Wildlife Services Supervisor here in Wyoming, will have a table at Coyote Days, and be selling/signing his 3 books that he has wrote. One of the books, 'Yellow Dog Eight', is about his time working in the field, hunting coyotes with a Super Cub, and many other experiences he had in his many years working predator control . A GREAT book!

Larid was the supervisor that got so many of the government trappers that worked in the 80's and 90's (and later) started. A true legend in Wyoming WS.

I worked with Larid some when I first came back to Wyoming, as he was hired as a seasonal denner, and we hunted some dens together.
He's a real gentleman, and has some great stories. He was at Coyote Days for a short time last year, and I asked him if he'd like to set up a table and visit and offer his books, and he agreed.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7285767
06/13/21 10:29 PM
06/13/21 10:29 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Just a few updates about Coyote Days, which is approaching fast!

Another option for a motel is The Harrison House, located in Harrison, Nebraska, which is an quick 25 minute trip from the Fairgrounds in Lusk. Its a good Hwy., and very little traffic. It's a really nice drive early in the morning.

The number for them is (308) 665-5199

I also need to add (remind) that there are only about 11 electrical hookups on the fairgrounds, for campers, but UNLIMITED for parking, if you don't need power.

Things are coming together, and we've been buying a lot of quality items for the bucket raffle at the Saturday night banquet.

We've got 2 rifles for raffles, and like always, the tickets will be sold ONLY at Coyote Days, and they WILL be won by an attendee.

I'll be picking names out of the hat for demo times soon, with the exception being Bill Ilchick & Joel Blakeslee, both from Nevada. These guys give a world class 'cat trapping demo, and they like to use lots of props to really show in detail their sets. I'll have them do the last one on Saturday evening, so people can come up after their demo and talk about the sets and pick their brains a little, without having to hurry.

Summer, and long hot days is upon us in Wyoming. Denning coyotes has me keeping strange hours. Any calls or inquiries will be answered as quick as I can!

Remember- All tracks lead to Lusk, Wyoming on August 20-21...... If you are serious about Coyotes, Coyote Harvesting, Coyote trivia & knowledge, and learning from and visiting with like minded people, you need to be here!

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7286142
06/14/21 11:08 AM
06/14/21 11:08 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
John, are you coming to the national convention?

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7286315
06/14/21 03:57 PM
06/14/21 03:57 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
T-20 No, I haven't been to an NTA convention in years.

Too busy and tough to get away. Always chasing coyotes it seems.

But, the Rhubarb & Strawberry Crisp had me tempted!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7286739
06/15/21 12:36 AM
06/15/21 12:36 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Too early for sweet corn in July too lol
I live 35 miles from Spencer

Last edited by Tactical.20; 06/15/21 12:37 AM.
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7289516
06/19/21 06:08 AM
06/19/21 06:08 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Well, I do miss bringing home sweet corn on the return trip after the NTA nationals every year, in August. I don't miss the bike traffic on the I-90 corridor, preceding and following Sturgis Bike Rally , which is all about the same time in early August.

Nothing against the bikers at all, but it does keep you on your toes, and there are a few that really take chances.

Sturgis is a big factor to consider when planning an event in this part of the world, and it effects the local economy more than most people realize. This year, with no pipeline activity or new drilling going on because of you know who, small towns need that bike traffic for business more than ever.

The dates I chose for Coyote Days (Aug. 20-21) were based on the fact that there is a week or more carryover of bike traffic and lack of motels because of it. (which is a good thing for the economy) In the case of Lusk, having 5 motels, We need EVERY room we can get!

And, small county Fairgrounds are in demand more than I previously realized. There are only so many weekends in the summer to pick from.

July is way too early, and there is a lot of small events using fairgrounds.

September is a huge bow hunting month for so many people, that I know it effects the attendance of some western conventions, for a fact.

The August bow season in Wyoming means a few of my friends can't attend, because they hunt and/or guide then. I just tell them to try to make the banquet at least! High School and college rodeos are going on too, and that eliminates a few more dates.

So, August it is, and it hopefully allow some kids to come, as not every school starts at the same time. My daughter goes back to college before Coyote Days, but she'll come home for the event this year she says.

With fair, a wedding or two, and other events, you have to make plans and decisions based on what the grounds and the local chamber think will be best. It's all part of planning a large event. And that means booking a year in advance, which is what we did.

So, to answer a few people that have commented that I purposely chose those dates to conflict with any other event, I just have to shake my head. The logistics and considerations of putting on a sizeable (and growing) event forces me to do whatever it takes to allow it to happen,.

And, Ive been asked to order nice, semi-cool weather for that week in August and I promised to do the best I could.

Enjoy your weekend

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7289540
06/19/21 07:08 AM
06/19/21 07:08 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
yes john ,people just don't realize what it takes to put on a big show [convention] ,the planning never stop, done with one year start on next year

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7295834
06/28/21 11:49 PM
06/28/21 11:49 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
I don't have much new to report other than I have a coyote or two in the freezer for the skinning demos, and will save 2 more as we get closer.

I have one or two really nice coyote skins still in the grease, and they"ll get used in a demo too.

MonsterToms is bringing me a set of 3 'cats size cage traps, and if anyone is interested, I suggest that you contact him soon, so he can get them done and bring them with him to save some shipping.

The weather has been a little cooler, and I hope it is the same during Coyote Days. The coyote pups are just starting to talk here. Fall is approaching fast!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7298843
07/03/21 11:51 PM
07/03/21 11:51 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Terrible news for me..... was talking with wife the other day about going to Coyote Days and she told me they had scheduled her mothers memorial service for that Saturday. She passed in December but because of the Covid stuff we just a small family service with plans to have another service later after Covid settled down. Was really looking forward to finally make and meet some of guys family things call.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7302020
07/08/21 05:30 PM
07/08/21 05:30 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Sorry to hear that Yes Sir. But, we do understand, family first of course.

I've got a few updates and an addition to make.

First, Major Boddicker WILL be attending Coyote Days this year again. Major and I visited on the phone a few days ago, and he said he's ready to just be a spectator this year, and enjoy the festivities. Major has given 100's of great demos over the years, and he's ready for a break! He's bringing some of his books and other things to sell, and will be available to visit with and learn from all weekend. We were super happy for him to confirm that he is willing to travel to Wyoming again this year! Major and I have been friends for over 38 years now, and I still consider the Crit. R. Call he designed to be one of the very BEST calls made. I use his Song Dog virtually every day, and just last week called in a pair with that call. To have Major here means a lot to us.

And, I visited with Randy Shuff, from Tendoy Idaho today, and I ordered some beaver tail items for the bucket raffle and auction for Saturday night's banquet.: A wallet, a checkbook cover, and a belt buckle, all made of tanned beaver tails. Randy can't make it to Coyote Days (maybe next year he says) but I know how sought after Randy's products are, and thought they'd be a welcome addition to things we've purchased for the event. I ran into and did business with Randy at several conventions over the years, and have bought some beaver tail items from him, and they are as good as the day I bought them, and maybe even better. I know they'll be well received at Coyote Days.

Last, the camping fees will all be collected by US, at the main building at south end of the fairgrounds. The fairgrounds office will leave a form printed to be filled out easily, and payment can be put in the provided envelope, and then delivered to check in desk for Coyote Days. In the past, there has been problems of campers looking for where to pay their fees, and office hours of the grounds not allowing it to happen. So, to simplify things, we will collect the fees, IN the envelopes, and we'll give them to the fairgrounds office on Monday after the event.

Other than that, everything is shaping up better every day.

On another note:

I've had a person or two comment that Canada Goose's announcement to halt using fur on their parkas will have a negative effect on the coyote market... All I can say is that there are a lot of markets for coyote in the 'trim' industry, Several of today's leading buyers and 'insider' crowd will be at Coyote Days, and I'll have a few give THEIR take on this years' market. The end of August will be fairly soon to the beginning of another season for a lot of people, and the market updates will be, as they say, hot off the press.

Thanks, and I hope wherever you are reading this is getting some rain and relief.

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7302369
07/09/21 07:28 AM
07/09/21 07:28 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Ttt

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: MChewk] #7308081
07/17/21 02:20 PM
07/17/21 02:20 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
Few pictures of some of the trappers that will be at C.D. this year.

Boone Liane

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Joel Blakeslee and Bill Ilchik

[Linked Image]

Les Johnson

[Linked Image]

Roc Lee

[Linked Image]

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7308411
07/18/21 07:39 AM
07/18/21 07:39 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Thanks, Cattrax! Those guys are all on the demo list again this year, like the past few years. I know all of them well, and keep up with through the year. The knowledge that they've provided so far is just the tip of the iceberg, when it comes to their years of experience.

I know Les Johnson traveled to a lot of states while filming another season of TV's Predator Quest, and he sent my a lot of various pictures this winter. His calling demo is world class, unquestionably.

Boone Liane is working predator control in SD, and we keep up almost daily in the spring and summer, since we are in the same boat, with denning and dealing with coyotes doing damage. We talk about and compare various scenarios throughput the year. Boone's demo will be brought to you with dirt still on his tools and his traps, because his is out there, DOING IT.

Roc Lee is coming back, and I just visited with him the other day. Roc's demo is always well received too, and it should be. Roc usually has the biggest coyote fur catch in Montana, or one of the biggest. He starts in the winter and piles up coyotes in snares. I just scrolled through my phone and found a text he'd sent me that his pickup was so stuck in a snow drift that a tractor couldn't pull him out, and that he'd "go back with a snowmobile" The next night I got a pic of a days catch of 31 coyotes.......

Bill & Joel, well everyone knows about those two guys, and for them to travel all the way from Nevada to put on such a great, detailed 'cat demo is something that makes me very thankful. They are a ton of fun too.

These guys are part of 20 demos in 2 days, and if Cattrax or anyone else happens to post a few more pics in the future, I'd fill you in on the guys. ALL the demo people are very approachable and willing to share and compare throughout the weekend.

I've been gathering up a few things that we'll talk about during my demo too.

It's coming up quick! Hopefully the hot weather will leave by them. The county is still under a fire ban, so NO fires are permitted. On the plus side, there doesn't seem to be many moskitos.

Take care everyone, and enjoy your Sunday,

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7308415
07/18/21 07:51 AM
07/18/21 07:51 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

John,

You've really spearheaded a wonderful weekend.
Wishing you fair weather, an overflow of great trappers, and camaraderie by the bucket full.
Be safe and say howdy to the family!

Blessings,
Mark and Donna

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7309326
07/19/21 04:46 PM
07/19/21 04:46 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
Here's a few more of the guys that will be there again this year, not only good trappers, but guys that can show you good fur put up too.

Todd Fairchild

[Linked Image]

Vern Howey

[Linked Image]

Dan Hartman

[Linked Image]

Jim Arneson

[Linked Image]

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7309358
07/19/21 05:41 PM
07/19/21 05:41 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Cattrax, it doesn't sound like Odie isn't going to make it.

Looking forward to hanging out with the Grahams again in a month.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread