No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: EdP] #7301935
07/08/21 02:19 PM
07/08/21 02:19 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by EdP
I wonder what red tape is involved before F&G can go after the bear. In this instance the other folks in the party drove the bear off but the woman had already died. It could not have been long before the authorities were notified. Once the call goes in that a bear has killed someone it should not take long for dogs to be on that bear's trail. Not much reason for the bear to be able to get away unless bureaucratic roadblocks are being put in the way to intentionally hamper the process.

Current local news that I keep watch on every day says the search is still on for the bear. Choppers were videoed flying the grid around the area and outward in perimeter.

By now, the bear could be miles away, as the ground they can cover in one night is astounding.

That said, it was also in the report that the same bear had been rummaging around in camp a day or so earlier. So it is in a habit. They go in cycles of days , in circles in a given territory . So if they lay patient in quiet wait, it will probably be back, in the black of night.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7301951
07/08/21 02:51 PM
07/08/21 02:51 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
The woman was 65 yrs old from Chico, CA traveling with a group of cyclists. There musta been others close I would think.

when that grizz has a taste of blood is blowing your rape whistle really going to do much.

This is almost funny. City people think bears are soft little stuffed animals and that wild animals are somehow pets for children to play with.

If your rape whistle has the bark of a 45/70 with huge hard lead or copper solids than I’m guessing you’ll be just fine.

Last edited by Tailhunter; 07/08/21 03:02 PM.
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302750
07/09/21 07:12 PM
07/09/21 07:12 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Update....FWP killed a male griz this morning in the area, it's second raid of someone's property , on their chicken coop. The bear had exhibited the same habitual behavior in raiding another coop some time earlier.

It is felt that the bear is the same one they were searching for, and acting in signature behavioral ways around the same town and residence properties.

DNA is to be compared with the attack scene .

The report on local Montana news did not give the bear's age. A statistic I am always curious about.

They always come back if they are successful in pilfering food or breaking into peoples homes or outbuildings. Always.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302812
07/09/21 08:33 PM
07/09/21 08:33 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I hope it was the right one and like you I would wonder why they don't report the age.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302814
07/09/21 08:42 PM
07/09/21 08:42 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Age discrimination!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302825
07/09/21 09:03 PM
07/09/21 09:03 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

when that grizz has a taste of blood is blowing your rape whistle really going to do much.

This is almost funny. City people think bears are soft little stuffed animals and that wild animals are somehow pets for children to play with.

If your rape whistle has the bark of a 45/70 with huge hard lead or copper solids than I’m guessing you’ll be just fine.

even if it was the lowly 30-30win or 35rem

they are actually saying 9, 40 and 45 are effective given the number of deputies who have faced off problem bears with their service side arm

really the cheap and easy to use 12ga with slugs is the most economical way to go , not always the lightest

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302833
07/09/21 09:22 PM
07/09/21 09:22 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
As many bear as I have hunted, tracked, etc. I always told my wife not to blame the bear. I am in their domain, it is my fault not the bears.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302845
07/09/21 09:51 PM
07/09/21 09:51 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
GREAT FALLS — The Powell County Sheriff's Office said this morning that it received a report on Thursday evening from a resident who came home and found her door ripped off, and large claw marks were present. A short time later a male grizzly bear was shot and killed in the area.

Samples were taken from the bear and sent to a testing facility where they hope to make positive identification within a few days. The Sheriff's Office says this is likely the bear that was involved in Tuesday's attack in Ovando that killed 65-year old Leah Davis Lokan of Chico, California.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: MJM] #7302927
07/10/21 01:14 AM
07/10/21 01:14 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by MJM
GREAT FALLS — The Powell County Sheriff's Office said this morning that it received a report on Thursday evening from a resident who came home and found her door ripped off, and large claw marks were present. A short time later a male grizzly bear was shot and killed in the area.

Samples were taken from the bear and sent to a testing facility where they hope to make positive identification within a few days. The Sheriff's Office says this is likely the bear that was involved in Tuesday's attack in Ovando that killed 65-year old Leah Davis Lokan of Chico, California.

Well that stink's I was hoping they at least kill 2 bears

Kenneth schoening
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302935
07/10/21 04:19 AM
07/10/21 04:19 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Sad deal for sure.

My rule of thumb while camping with bears is to always have a gun and a good light right next to your pillow.

One brown bear that would not leave was shot from the tent door one morning.

Here I live on the edge of the village. I get brown bears in my yard. Have to keep a gun handy in the summer at all times near the door. I carry when I go up the hill to check my bee hives or berry pick. Had a Brown in my bee yard last week pushing on a hive.

Barking dogs are a good deterrent. Keeps them out of the yard. (so far)

When we get too many or one causing problems in the village, They will get on the VHF radio and ask for volunteers to go on a hunting party in and near the village. All bears shot on sight. That works pretty good too.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7302938
07/10/21 05:29 AM
07/10/21 05:29 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I'd think bees wouldn't have a chance with bears around looking for a meal of honey!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7303030
07/10/21 09:45 AM
07/10/21 09:45 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
I'm Glad they're there.... just Need hunting Management . It's A Need now, not a want.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Gary Benson] #7303140
07/10/21 01:13 PM
07/10/21 01:13 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I'd think bees wouldn't have a chance with bears around looking for a meal of honey!

Yea I keep a 10,000 v electric fence and two barking dogs near seams to deter them so far. Not for lack of trying. They got in one hive last summer thankfully no damage, he got shot at the neighbors. One pushed on one last week. I am waiting for them to try get into the chicken coup yet. they will get shot.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7303146
07/10/21 01:29 PM
07/10/21 01:29 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Well,we live in black bear country and when I'm in the woods Im in my domain,wherever that may be.I don't expect to be eaten by anything and I'll do whatever it takes not to be.If that means a bear eats lead that's too bad.I'm not going to cry about it.I can't imagine what it would be like living in grizzly country,or having the feds relocate a bear that was a problem in their park in your nearby woods.What I get out of this is people visiting the park are more important than the people who live outside of the park.When I worked in the Badlands I remember an article about reintroducing species back into the park,it said there were no plans to reintroduce the plains Grizzly.Smart move,can you imagine introducing them with the type of visitation that park gets,not to mention all the cattle ranches that ring the park?Theres places in Alaska and Canada where's there's plenty of room for them,I think anymore their time in the lower 48 has come and gone.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7303289
07/10/21 07:23 PM
07/10/21 07:23 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
There's not alot of room for them in Montana, either, but the feds have forced them down out throats. More people killed by griz in MT this year than in AK, if that tells you anything. The folks living in badlands cheering the planting of grizzlies in montana should have to live with them a bit before they do any cheering.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7303311
07/10/21 08:23 PM
07/10/21 08:23 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Mt.
The sad thing is all the terrible trouble I would have if I kill one .It is fine if no one sees you do it . Even if the folks that know you kill one totally agree with you killing it they would still spill it by telling others who agree .If you kill one pray that no one finds out . When these happen you don't really have time to check who might know . Believe me for sure these govie leos will harass you to the grave ,as you are just a common honest man . smith

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: red mt] #7304149
07/11/21 11:49 PM
07/11/21 11:49 PM
SD
Boone Liane Online content
trapper
Boone Liane  Online Content
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by red mt
Originally Posted by MJM

Well that stink's I was hoping they at least kill 2 bears

I'm with you Red!

Keep shooting till you get the right one than do a few more!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread