No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New to the Forums #7303475
07/11/21 01:27 AM
07/11/21 01:27 AM
Missouri
F
Foxtrot92000 Offline OP
trapper
Foxtrot92000  Offline OP
trapper
F

Missouri
Hello Everyone, I’m new to the forums. I’m also new into trapping in a more serious manner. I thought I’d introduce myself here, tell a little about what I hope to achieve as a novice trapper, and get some insight about the gear I’ve chosen to start with.

I’m in my early 30’s, a Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Missouri. I was raised on a farm hunting, fishing, and trapping the occasional groundhog. I first got into trapping coyotes/bobcats many years ago using 1.5 and 1.75 Duke Coilsprings that I normally used for groundhogs. To say I was unsuccessful would be an understatement. I mostly caught skunks, opossums, raccoons, and the occasional - I only succeeded in catching one young bobcat and one young Coyote in several winters. I lost a few traps due to poor chain/drag quality, and mostly just kept catching opossums.

Over the years, after being so unsuccessful and not taking it seriously I gave it up. I didn’t know what I was doing and just didn’t have the time. Now, coyotes have gotten way to bold and numerous in my hunting area to ignore. So I am investing time and money into taking this as seriously as I think I’ll need to in order to thin the population down. A couple years ago I actually had 3 coyotes chase me from a field walking into a hunting stand for archery season. And they haven’t gotten any more timid since then. Winter packs are close to 5-6 coyotes on average and I need to bring that down. I also plan on trapping some bobcats as well, hopefully in order to make a little money back to pay for the equipment I’m investing in. Coyotes in my area don’t amount to much for value. I also may run a half dozen or so Dog proof traps for raccoon/possum. Nest predators are bad in my area and the quail could use a break.

So, I have two properties I’ll be able to trap on without issue. One is a 250 acre cattle farm, mostly pasture with some overgrown ditches/draws present linking adjoining properties East and west as travel routes. The other is a 40 acre thicket that has not been farmed or cleared in any way for 25-30 years. During summer months, sight range on the ground is limited to 10 yards at best due to growth and even elevated 75-80 yards is about the best view you got during fall deer season. This property is about a half mile south of the other farm. Most nights, there is one pack howling in each area, with another pack or group just to the east of the cattle farm.

My idea is this: I’ve purchased/purchasing a total of 34 traps. I’ll have 18 Bridger #4 Double Longsprings, 13 Bridger #3 coil springs (4 Coiled), and 3 Bridger #5 Double Long Springs. The #3’s and #4’s will be Wolf Fang’ed to the ground while the #5’s will have Sabertooth Drags. I’m am putting the PIT Round Stock Dogs with Night latch on the Bridger #3’s with expandapans, I am also thinking about putting PIT dogs on the #4’s but I made my own expanded pans from 4 11/16th electric Box Covers and I’ll be riveting then to the original pans tomorrow. The #5’s have the PIT Pan #7 system installed, and I’ll be attaching a box cover to each of them as well. All of the Wolf Fangs I’ve modified to have a separate retriever cable for pulling it from the ground easier.

I have looked at several baits/lures, and first I decided to try some of the Locklear Claymore as well as Some other baits/lures by other manufacturers. I want to get an idea of what they like in my area before I buy very much. I also don’t want to use the same thing on everything, I’m pretty sure the ‘yotes would wise up to that smell pretty quick.

For sets I’ll try a bunch of different types of sets. For areas I believe more than one Coyote may pass by each night, I will set two traps in the area, one of which will be the #5 on a drag. That way I have the chance of keeping the bait location free of a trapped animal for the second to potentially get a double. For bobcats I’ll probably focus on Locklear’s sets. From what I’ve seen researching online, he seems pretty serious about cats and it makes sense.

The reason I decided on so many DLS is simply for nostalgia. I have always loved the DLS for its history, and it turns out to be a little better in freezing conditions so that’s a bonus. The coil springs have more speed and a bigger jaw spread, but the springs will wear out quicker than the DLS’s. They are more convenient to bed though.

So, what does everyone think? Am I crazy? Or have I just caught the trapping bug? Considering I have already turned my outdoor shop into a fur shed/trap shed and I haven’t even put a set in the ground in 10+ years, it could be either. Lol. I am probably going to keep any decent Coyote hides for myself but I’ll definitely sell any bobcats. If I decide to hit raccoons, I’ll do something with them too.

Thanks everyone for your time. I’m open to suggestions, tips, advice, etc. if I can, I’ll attach a pic of the home made Bridger #4 pan for feedback. It isn’t diverted down yet, but setting where it would be.

5C4903E0-ECE9-42CD-97C0-1DC4DA09A37E.jpeg

Law Enforcement Officer, Hunter, Fisherman, Trapper, Outdoorsman.
We are what we make ourselves.
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303478
07/11/21 01:33 AM
07/11/21 01:33 AM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Welcome aboard. First thing. Cut down those pans. Too large even for cats. Between now and the start of your season. Ask a lot questions and get a couple of videos to study. Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303484
07/11/21 02:00 AM
07/11/21 02:00 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
The K.I.S.S. Principal works very well on Tman. Many members here have short attention spans. LOL

Oh, and welcome to Trapperman!!

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303490
07/11/21 02:36 AM
07/11/21 02:36 AM
minn
F
fossil2 Offline
trapper
fossil2  Offline
trapper
F

minn
welcome to t-man, and thanks for your service as a LEO. a bit of advice,,,dont set the 3s and 4s for coon, They are to large for coon.. also, the 5 dls is NOT a cat or coyote trap, save those for beaver sets. no reason for anything bigger than your 3s and 4s in your part of the country. maybe consider a dozen mb-550s to add to your arsenal. also consider some snares if legal there.

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303495
07/11/21 03:13 AM
07/11/21 03:13 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Word of advice don't mention Clint on here man. All it does is open a can of worms and I'm 90% sure folks will just copy and past the same responses. I can tell you 80% if what's about to be ,said ( call me syndical but I've seen it so much it's a pattern )

1. Big pans bad, something something toe catches , old timers cut pans down
2. Nothing over a 1.5 for coon
3. All you need is a double jaw for coon
4. All you need is a stock #3 for coyotes
5.mb 550 mb 550 mb550

Anyhow regarding the big pans make sure you up your pan tension and if your gonna use larger traps for smaller critters your gonna need to offset and laminate them.

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303508
07/11/21 06:29 AM
07/11/21 06:29 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
coyote trapping aint rocket science. a lot of people make it harder than it needs to be

sets and lure are fun to discuss and play with but 90% of success is making your set in the right place . that location location location thing was said first by a trapper not a real estate agent

a dozen traps is plenty to cover three hundred acres. especially if you will be there all winter.

that big pan thing is not new. been done before. it will be around a few years (again) then fade away again. you really do want the animals foot inside the jaws when the trap fires. pan tension is not near as important as trap speed. if you dont have a huge pan.

the big pan is more for exposed trap sets. (cats) the animal will center its foot on the pan then. you will catch some coyotes in exposed trap sets but you will get some avoidance.

everytime you get a chance to follow animal tracks in the snow you should do it. those tracks will show you location location location better than any book or video.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303533
07/11/21 07:48 AM
07/11/21 07:48 AM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Welcome to Tman

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303550
07/11/21 08:18 AM
07/11/21 08:18 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Welcome to Tman!

Wolfdog and Danny have some good Advice.

Go to the Archives and read....its the best info out there.

Watch all your States Game laws , especially regarding trap size as your plans include some - too big for species traps. That part mentioned above is very real. I use MB650's for yotes but some of the Top trappers love the MB 550's

I myself don't like big pans. If I did use them it would only be for bobcats.

Enjoy and read the Archives.

grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303557
07/11/21 08:26 AM
07/11/21 08:26 AM
Missouri
F
Foxtrot92000 Offline OP
trapper
Foxtrot92000  Offline OP
trapper
F

Missouri
Thanks everyone for the input. I didn’t realize larger posts weren’t normal. Also, I didn’t know particular people were controversial or mentioning their names caused issues. I guess it’s more like archery forums then I thought.
I saw those butterflies too. SQUIRREL!

I considered mb-550’s and 650’s, but like how I choose firearm calibers I’d rather be over gunned than under. Just a preference. They look like they are good quality, but I don’t have a foothold size limit here.

The #5’s were intended more for coyotes, I wasn’t gonna target cars with them specifically. I should have been more clear.

Snares are illegal here. Cable restraints are legal, but I’d rather stick to footholds.

Keep it coming! I appreciate it! 😁

Law Enforcement Officer, Hunter, Fisherman, Trapper, Outdoorsman.
We are what we make ourselves.
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303564
07/11/21 08:34 AM
07/11/21 08:34 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
To the OP......what part of the state? There are T-man members all over the state who might offer help and advice.

Your motivation for getting started about the same as mine. Good to know there are young guys out there getting started. My mom tells me a neighbors 15 year old grandson has become the neighborhoods go to guy for problem coon and groundhogs. I"m hoping he expands into some others......like coyotes. He may get gifted a few traps and a jar of bait if he does.

Other than advice already given, you will find the other forums on T-man to be a lot of help. The Strictly Trapping threads.........and archives. The archives are DEEP, DEEP, DEEP in threads on just about any topic you are interested in. And many of the best youtube videos are produced by T-Man members.

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303573
07/11/21 08:45 AM
07/11/21 08:45 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Also, a good source of traps is the Trap Shed on this forum. Good traps at good prices.

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303596
07/11/21 09:05 AM
07/11/21 09:05 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

Welcome to our dysfunctional lil family cool

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303599
07/11/21 09:08 AM
07/11/21 09:08 AM
NB, Canada
MySide 🦝 Offline
trapper
MySide 🦝  Offline
trapper

NB, Canada
Hey welcome to the forum!!! laugh It's great to have new members on here. Quick tip of advice - watch out for Leftlane....... anyways! grin

Just want to start off by saying that everyone has and will have a different opinion on pretty much everything, though there are somethings we can all agree with... generally. Like many guys have said the biggest thing is location, find the travel routes and the crop changes and the points of interest (stumps, random trees, jet outs in a field, ect.).

Next thing I would say is that you should probably save your #5s for beavers, I think most people can agree that a #5 is too big a trap to foothold coyotes and cats. I'm not saying that you won't catch critters, but with a bigger trap ...talk about this on a PM only. If your just targeting coyote and cat, I think your #3s and #4s will be fine. But I would adjust the pan tension a little to avoid fox, and if you can I would laminate the jaws as well. (you don't even necessarily have to buy "lamination" kit's for them, you can use scrap roundstock or whatever)

In terms of your big pans, you do what your more comfortable doing. There are guys that have great success with them, others don't and have either flipped off traps or toe catches. For me, I'm mostly sticking with stock pans. I think with coyotes you probably will get toe catches. I think where it most helps is with cat trapping.

Anyways, now it's time to make some sets. I like dirtholes. But you can always experiment with other sets like flat sets, trench sets, step down dirtholes ect. Biggest thing I can tell you with making sets is #1 - Set on sign and on a good location (sometimes you won't even see sign like scat or tracks but if you find a good travelway or feature in the landscape thats great) #2 - Bed your trap SOLID. You don't want any rock in that trap at all, theres this thing called the four point check where you press on both jaws, then both levers or springs of the trap, if it doesn't rock, your good. If it does rock, then fix it with packing more dirt or putting more dirt underneath those spots.

In terms of bait I wouldn't be afraid to buy a couple jars of bait now, there are some excellent baits out there! Lure and urine are other things to think about, similar to the bait just buy a well known brand and you should be just fine.

Anyways thats all I got time to write for right now, but I will leave you with this - Theres gonna be guys telling you that THIS is the ONLY way to make a coyote set or THIS is the ONLY way to catch cats. Don't listen to these guys, I'm not saying that they're bad trappers or that they always have bad advice, but you can fall into an awful lot of confusion and worry by listening to them. Another thing is do what makes you feel more comfortable. And besides that man just have fun, because thats what trapping is - FUN. Oh yeah and it's addictive... VERY ADDICTIVE. Like others have said - go through the PILES and PILES of threads. Check the archives too, theres TONS of stuff on there.

All for the Greater Glory of God
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303606
07/11/21 09:18 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
biggest problem with 5's is trap speed. takes longer to close. not foot damage. people who say foot damage have not used them. where they work good is out west in the rockies where snow coming in can be an issue. they will work with more snow on them than smaller traps. they reach a bit higher is why. longspring 5's especially are a little slow if covered with dirt. dry powdery snow, think cold weather not MO, they are great.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303607
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Welcome consider trapping when you start as a empty tool box people will give you tools but they won’t all fit it that box so you will need to figure what tools are best for you. Lots of gimmick out there so choose wisely.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: New to the Forums [Re: danny clifton] #7303626
07/11/21 09:30 AM
07/11/21 09:30 AM
NB, Canada
MySide 🦝 Offline
trapper
MySide 🦝  Offline
trapper

NB, Canada
Originally Posted by danny clifton
biggest problem with 5's is trap speed. takes longer to close. not foot damage. people who say foot damage have not used them. where they work good is out west in the rockies where snow coming in can be an issue. they will work with more snow on them than smaller traps. they reach a bit higher is why. longspring 5's especially are a little slow if covered with dirt. dry powdery snow, think cold weather not MO, they are great.

Danny maybe not for coyotes, but that is for sure too big of a trap for fox. Thats why I said to tighten the pan tension.

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303636
07/11/21 09:35 AM
07/11/21 09:35 AM
NB, Canada
MySide 🦝 Offline
trapper
MySide 🦝  Offline
trapper

NB, Canada
Oh also here are some great videos to learn off of:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuKjVOHOyLDoIArvLEFFOgE2QcY2f4t7d

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303639
07/11/21 09:36 AM
07/11/21 09:36 AM
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

Watch out for Myside. whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: New to the Forums [Re: Foxtrot92000] #7303642
07/11/21 09:38 AM
07/11/21 09:38 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
I will say it lime Matt Jones the reason I 4 coil is because I can't get 6 on there. Welcome to T man there is more information on here about trapping and hog castors than any where else in the world. Oh and I like big pans there I said it and I'm not taking it back.

Last edited by bandy; 07/11/21 09:39 AM.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: New to the Forums [Re: Leftlane] #7303649
07/11/21 09:41 AM
07/11/21 09:41 AM
NB, Canada
MySide 🦝 Offline
trapper
MySide 🦝  Offline
trapper

NB, Canada
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Watch out for Myside. whistle