No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: Steven 49er] #7309377
07/19/21 06:16 PM
07/19/21 06:16 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
Steven I heard that too, sounds like he has something that is more important this year, going to miss him, but we'll have some fun without him. laugh

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7309546
07/19/21 11:02 PM
07/19/21 11:02 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
He and Brandy will be missed.

I hear Joel has some tales to tell from his African expedition.

Maybe Brownie will show up.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7309627
07/20/21 12:51 AM
07/20/21 12:51 AM
north Idaho
decoy Offline
trapper
decoy  Offline
trapper

north Idaho
Any new info on motels that have a room to rent.?

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7309678
07/20/21 06:19 AM
07/20/21 06:19 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Decoy- I will look in to that today and report later tonight

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7309691
07/20/21 07:13 AM
07/20/21 07:13 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
I just looked back up through the post and saw that Cattrax had posted more pictures!

Todd Fairchild (MonsterToms) has always done a GREAT fur handling demo with Otis, but Otis got asked to do a very cool and honorable thing for a friend that weekend, so he did the right thing and opted out of Coyote Days this year. Yes, he WILL be missed! Nut, the Pizza Place will survive another year until he can come back.

Todd will do his demo again, on fur handling. I'll try to get a coyote that doesn't stink so bad as a few in past years, but when it's 90-100 degrees, it's hard to keep track of everything. Frozen becomes non-frozen fairly fast.

Vern Howey WILL be coming back this year, and will be here for the round table discussion, which he was a very welcome part of last year, and he'll be giving his demo on Saturday. Vern will also be bringing some of his shooting sticks with him to sell. I first met Vern in 1985, when Vernon Dorn and I drove over to Rawlins, WY. to meet up with Bill Austin and Vern Howey. WE were all denning coyotes at the time. I've said it before, but I'd do just about anything to have a picture of us all that day! So, you can say that Vern Howey and I go 'Way Back'.

Dan Hartman will be driving down from Montana again, and we'll be glad to have him. Dan is a rancher and long line fur trapper in the SE part of the state. I call him a buckaroo Trapper, because of his reputation of riding and breaking horses. Dan is a close family friend too, and has been for years.

Jim Arneson and his son, JD Arneson will be driving down to Lusk from Miles City, Montana. They will give a calling and long range shooting presentation again. Jim and I stay in contact throughout the year, as we've been close friends for quite a long time. We've hunted deer together and snowmobiled to check traps together, and He's quite an accomplished all around outdoors man. I know their shooting talk will be sure to keep every one interested, I'm having them give some info comparing the .22 Creedmore to the 22-250 while they are here

These guys are all valued parts of Coyote Days, and I know will pass along a lot of great information. And, all are fun to visit with!

And, before I forget

Steven. We are looking forward to having you here!

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7310291
07/20/21 09:10 PM
07/20/21 09:10 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Decoy-

Yes, there is motel rooms available. I only had time to check with one, The Covered Wagon Motel. It's literally 75 yards from the NE corner of the fairgrounds. (all the motels in Lusk are fairly close) Their number is : (307) 334- 2836

I know they are giving a bit of a discount if you mention Coyote Days.

Hope you can make it!

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7310961
07/21/21 07:29 PM
07/21/21 07:29 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
One of my buddies from nearby Douglas, Wyoming, Jerimiah Hinckley, is going to being buying Antlers at Coyote Days. The horn market is hot, and he said that he is "Looking for trophy sets, but poundage is good too" Please bear in mind that antlers on skulls have to be sealed by G & F here in Wyoming. So, shed antlers are fine, but any on skull have to be legal. We don't want anyone to break any laws!

He is also looking for Newhouse and collector type stuff, and will be bringing some of his personal collection with him. He has some really nice items.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7311333
07/22/21 10:24 AM
07/22/21 10:24 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Coyote Days keeps on getting bigger and better every year ...please tell Vern Howey I said Hi...still using his sticks...great tool!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7311726
07/22/21 07:45 PM
07/22/21 07:45 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
I will tell Vern Hi for you Mike, although I think it's about time that you venture out in person.

It's shaping up better and better every day. Lots of interest

Thanks for positive input!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7312842
07/24/21 01:08 PM
07/24/21 01:08 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
Well it has been confirmed, Phil Brown will be giving a demo on Saturday, can't wait to visit with him.

[Linked Image]

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7312959
07/24/21 04:33 PM
07/24/21 04:33 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
That's good news and all the more reason for the tire kickers who are thinking about ti to show up. Might be the only demo Phil ever does west of the Mississippi

It hasn't been spoken about much on the interwebs but Phil Brown has come out with a trapping video, I'll be picking up my copy in Lusk.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7313232
07/25/21 07:06 AM
07/25/21 07:06 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Yep, I had a good visit with Phil yesterday, after playing phone tag for awhile, and he IS coming to Coyote Days!

He agreed to to a demo, which works out great, as our mutual friend Zagger can't make it this year, so Phil is filling the demo spot that I'd been saving.

Phil is best known for his huge fox catches in Pennsylvania, with many years over 1000. But, Phil is also a top notch coyote trapper, and has won the World Championship Coyote Contest at least a few times. I don't believe that Phil gives many demos, so to have him travel all the way to Wyoming is very big deal for us to share.

Phil will fit in just fine with the Coyote Days line up and crowd!

Since he's driving a longer way than most demo presenters, I'll have him do his on Saturday, to allow a little extra leeway on traveling.

I couldn't have put it any better than Steven did. This is like the icing on an already perfect cake.

Enjoy your Sunday

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7313252
07/25/21 08:16 AM
07/25/21 08:16 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
Phil has given a few demos at the VTA convention and he is a very basic trapper but the information you can glean from him is endless. I wish I could make it that is one destination on my list and having Phil there we'll that just make it that much more tempting to come.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7313329
07/25/21 10:35 AM
07/25/21 10:35 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Don't dawdle Travis, Just come on out! It's a fun get together!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: bandy] #7313370
07/25/21 11:43 AM
07/25/21 11:43 AM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
Originally Posted by bandy
Phil has given a few demos at the VTA convention and he is a very basic trapper but the information you can glean from him is endless. I wish I could make it that is one destination on my list and having Phil there we'll that just make it that much more tempting to come.

Come on out, you'll enjoy it, and you'll never do it any younger! laugh

And Lee, it'll be nice to have you on the list for demos too, we'll have to visit more this year!

-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7313380
07/25/21 11:56 AM
07/25/21 11:56 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by John Graham

I couldn't have put it any better than Steven did. This is like the icing on an already perfect cake.

Enjoy your Sunday

John

Speaking of cake I can't say enough about the Saturday night banquet. Ribeye steaks cooked to perfection.

For all you tire kickers, yes it's a long drive but there is plenty to do and can be made into a great family vacation what with Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Needles High, the Black Hills with it's endless other things to see.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7313382
07/25/21 12:00 PM
07/25/21 12:00 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I wish running a farm gave me a little more leeway this time of year. Would love to see Vern again and meet many of all of you for a first time.

Have fun!

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7314504
07/26/21 08:02 PM
07/26/21 08:02 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Yeah, I know it's a busy time of year, but hey, it's ALWAYS a busy time of year! (That's what I hear from some of my friends when I tell them that I can't get away from home much)

I do understand. The years fly by, and you kind of look back and ask yourself where did they all go?

I do know one thing for certain though.......IF I'd had Coyote Days to go to, 38 years ago, it would have gave me a 20 year jump on information available to me. There is simply NO other place to get this kind of information, and also meet the class of people that are giving the presentation/demos. Not just for fur trapping, but also for predator control methods. It's a real life 'Data Base' that is dispensed in 20 demos over a 2 day period. I know that the round table (actually a long hay trailer pulled in front of the grandstands) is the greatest assembly of coyote 'minds' ever put together at once. The questions come from the audience, and then the microphone is passed down the entire line..... Many of us are just coming in from the 'job'. You can learn a lot from just talking to people that live the lifestyle, trust me.

If you are a 'sponge' type person, prepare to be overloaded with great info.

And that's just the people giving the demos. There are a LOT of accomplished trappers in the crowd, and many I know, on a first name basis.

So many that possibly next year we'll make Coyote Days a 3 day event, who knows!

I appreciate all the kind words and praise from previous attendees! It's great to see everyone come and enjoy things every year.

And, to add to previous comments, there are a PILE of things to see in Nebraska, SD, and Wyoming. Fort Robinson , near Crawford Ne., is as cool a historical place to see as there is. That's 50 minutes east of Lusk. The Museum of the Fur Trade is in Chadron, NE. It's been mentioned before, but well worth mentioning again.

A few things before I forget: The NO fire ban is still in effect, so no open fires still

I ran into a friend of mine that owns a small campground, right in Lusk, that has full hook ups. It's the closest camp ground to the fairgrounds, literally a minute via vehicle and maybe 5 minute walk to the east side of the grounds. He still has some spots available. He's a great young guy, from a ranch family in the area. Lone Pine Campground (307) 216-0148...
With the electrical spots at the fairgrounds going fast, this might be a good alternative to people with campers, looking for a spot close by, as it's only a few blocks east.

As mentioned before, for CAMPING on the grounds, there will be forms to check a few things, and envelopes to put $ in, which will need to be brought in to Coyote Days sign up booth, at south end of grounds. State Fair is going on at the same time, in Douglas, WY., 50 miles away, and the girls from the office will be over there. So, we've all decided that we'd just accept the envelopes, and give them to them Monday. There ARE showers and bathrooms on the grounds, right by the camping. Tent camping and 'dry' camping for pull type campers is unlimited.

And, I hate to mention it, but we DO require the purchase of a wristband to be in attendance of Coyote Days. It's $10, for 18 and over, and it's good for the whole weekend. I've had a few (very few actually) people ask why we charge. The answer is simple: To HELP pay for everything that is going on. Nothing just happens, and everything costs money! Trust me, $10 is the deal of the century.

The sign up booth is just inside the door of the building at south end of grounds. You can buy wristbands for attendance, banquet tickets, raffle tickets, etc., right there. That building is also where the vendors are located, and also the concessions. We have breakfast there both Friday and Saturday mornings. The grill is always going from 10 a.m. until roughly 5 p.m. both days. The basics are on the menu: Burgers, Hot Dogs, some polish dogs are new this year. Also Sloppy Joes I think are in the plans, and possibly pulled pork sandwiches as usual. AND, this year, the girls in concessions will be selling ice cream too, as the hot weather calls for that, so we've added that on too.

The Saturday Night banquet menu is simple too. This is BEEF country, and that's what we serve. We cut up 20 Ribeye steak loins the night before, and my crew cooks up to 300 steaks in record time, on 2 huge grills. There will be 4 or 5 guest speakers, and also the raffles, presentations and thank yous, as well as a quick live auction. Oh, and the fur fashion show, one of my personal favorites, as it really spotlights the variety of and beauty of fur! And, I'd like to invite anyone that has a fur item (either man or woman, but that's the only 2 categories allowed) that they'd like to wear in the fashion show, BRING IT! We'll put you on the list, and you can be part of the event.

We've got a few really cool things being done in that department, and our good friend Michael Pappas from L.A. will be fashioning up a few things for us too. The Fur Fashion Show is a always a hit !

It's coming up fast!

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7314570
07/26/21 09:16 PM
07/26/21 09:16 PM
Iowa
trapperjdb Offline
trapper
trapperjdb  Offline
trapper

Iowa
I’m counting the days. I hope I have time to visit the Museum of the Fur Trade. Thanks John for putting on such a great event.

ITA, NRA & NTA member

Short liner and proud of it.
Re: Coyote Days 2021 [Re: John Graham] #7321049
08/03/21 07:58 PM
08/03/21 07:58 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
COYOTE DAYS 2021 August 20-21 Niobrara Co. Fairgrounds, Lusk, WY

Schedule of events

FRIDAY - AUG. 20th
7 a.m. Breakfast (Biscuits & Gravy)
7:45 a.m. Singing of National Anthem
7:55 a.m. Brief Introduction

DEMO Schedule for Friday
8 a.m. Les Johnson - NE. Host of Predator Quest TV show and world champion coyote caller
9 a.m. Dick Hane- CO. Predator trapping
10 a.m. Lee Steinmeyer KS Predator trapping
11 a.m. Todd Fairchild CO Expert coyote fur handling from A-Z (this is done with a carcass coyote all the way to finished pelt)
12 a.m. Dan Hartman MT Long Line trapping for Coyotes & Cats
1 p.m. Evan Anderson SD Coyote Trapping and Snaring
2 p.m. Roc Lee MT Coyote snaring (Roc usually has the largest fur catch in Montana every winter)
3 p.m. Jim Arneson & J.D. Arneson MT Father & Son team of coyote callers and long range shooting experts
4 p.m. Scott Huber SD ADC methods for coyotes- Fence snaring, M-44's
5 p.m. Justin Lemke MT Coyote fur handling
6 p.m. Dale Greenough, Scott Huber, Chris McAllister, John Graham--- Predator Control facts & trivia
8 p.m. ROUNDTABLE discussion in main arena (combination of any or all of the demo presenters, this is history making)

SATURDAY- AUG 21
7 a.m. Breakfast (Biscuits & Gravy)
8 a.m. John Graham & Dale Greenough WY Predator control trapping & snaring (County trappers in WY)
9 a.m. Brad Troftgruben WY Predator control methods, M-44's, and trapping (Brad is a Wyoming Government trapper)
10 a.m. Boone Liane SD Coyote trapping tricks and ADC methods (Boone is a SD State trapper)
11 a.m. Vern Howey WY Coyote calling methods and Coyote Trivia (Vern is a WY Government trapper)
12 a.m. Colt Violet WY Coyote fur handling, from field to the buyer
1 p.m. Nick Smith WY Coyote trapping methods (Nick is a County trapper in WY)
2 p.m. Chris McAllister SD Predator Control methods and strategies (Chris is SD state trapper)
3 p.m. Mike Liane ND Coyote fur handling methods, from green pelt to finished product)
4 p.m. Phil Brown PA World record holder fox trapper and winner of Coyote Trapping contests
5p.m. Bill Ilchik & Joel Blakeslee NV World class bobcat trapping methods from 2 legends

7 P.M. BANQUET (Happy Hour) (Tickets on sale at main desk all weekend)
7:30 Speakers start
Ribeye Steak dinner
Recognition and Thank Yous
Fur Fashion Show
Raffle Drawing
Auction

As you can see, this is NONSTOP Coyote themed knowledge, visiting, and exchange of information!

$10 cover charge for the weekend (wristband will be provided to show fee has been paid)

This is going to be a history making event! If you are interested in Coyotes or Bobcat harvesting and want to soak up some info from some of the BEST in business, All tracks lead to Lusk, WY on August 20-21

Thanks, John

Last edited by John Graham; 08/03/21 08:00 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread