Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
DIY moose #7311507
07/22/21 03:15 PM
07/22/21 03:15 PM
Alabama
T
Thomas8969 Offline OP
trapper
Thomas8969  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alabama
Hey guys! I posted this is the trapper talk thread. It was suggested I post here as well. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks! I’m from Alabama and plan to do a DIY moose hunt 2022. I’ve chosen unit 18 due to high success rate, healthy populations, and no antler restrictions. I’m not going to do the outfitted thing either like w papa bear or refroes. I’ve always hunted totally DIY outwest for elk so that’s my plan here. It’s just what I prefer. The area I’m looking at is the stretch of the Yukon from Russian mission on past st Mary’s. My plan is to fly into st Mary’s and I’ve potentially found a boat rental there but I’m open to all options? I’ve read the better hunting is south of the Yukon in the flats there? But to me it looks very very wet and flat? So how is the visibility once u get off the river/sloughs? Also are there any tributaries off the Yukon there that are more productive than others and have better glassing country? Also to me the better looking area is north of st Mary’s up the andreafksy in the hills it looks like better visibility w the topography and elevation? But I’ve read and talked w the a biologist and what I’ve heard is that area is somewhat off limits to NR? It seems to be a grey area? But there is federal land north of the native land in that area so I didn’t understand why u couldn’t hunt the federal? But if the flats below the Yukon are much better anyway no need to venture up north. Also I understand it’s a no antler restriction due to high populations but how is the quality there? We are after a trophy but if putting in a little work for a respectful animal is there I sure don’t mind. Thanks !!

Re: DIY moose [Re: Thomas8969] #7312638
07/24/21 04:27 AM
07/24/21 04:27 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
The Andreafsky does have hills for glassing. Its usually shallow in the fall and gravel bottom. Not good for boat with a prop. Might not be able to make it to Fed lands in low water. Locals will be hunting there more as well.

The south side is a big swamp. Tall grass and many lakes and sloughs mud underfoot/floating muskeg everywhere. Perfect moose habitat. Both sides of the river have plenty of moose.

The most productive hunting is traveling the sloughs in the morning and evening. Or wait and watch a pond or grassy swamp we call meadows. Glassing is not good its lowlands and tall grass thick willow and alder bushes. Walking is difficult and fruitless, stalking impossible. makes too much noise, better to watch, wait and call. Its usually close shooting 100 yrds or less.

Weather is usually bad in the fall and usually wet and windy, bad storms last for days and rough water, dangerous to travel by boat. If no wind it will be buggy.

There will be few/no similarities between a elk hunt in the west and lower Yukon moose hunt.

Hip boots ,tarps good rain gear, warm clothes and game bags are a good idea, and don't forget the bug dope.

Keep your meat dry.

Good luck.

Re: DIY moose [Re: yukonjeff] #7312771
07/24/21 10:23 AM
07/24/21 10:23 AM
Alabama
T
Thomas8969 Offline OP
trapper
Thomas8969  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alabama
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
The Andreafsky does have hills for glassing. Its usually shallow in the fall and gravel bottom. Not good for boat with a prop. Might not be able to make it to Fed lands in low water. Locals will be hunting there more as well.

The south side is a big swamp. Tall grass and many lakes and sloughs mud underfoot/floating muskeg everywhere. Perfect moose habitat. Both sides of the river have plenty of moose.

The most productive hunting is traveling the sloughs in the morning and evening. Or wait and watch a pond or grassy swamp we call meadows. Glassing is not good its lowlands and tall grass thick willow and alder bushes. Walking is difficult and fruitless, stalking impossible. makes too much noise, better to watch, wait and call. Its usually close shooting 100 yrds or less.

Weather is usually bad in the fall and usually wet and windy, bad storms last for days and rough water, dangerous to travel by boat. If no wind it will be buggy.

There will be few/no similarities between a elk hunt in the west and lower Yukon moose hunt.

Hip boots ,tarps good rain gear, warm clothes and game bags are a good idea, and don't forget the bug dope.

Keep your meat dry.

Good luck.

Thanks!! That’s really good info!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman