No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313469
07/25/21 02:40 PM
07/25/21 02:40 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Schedule the conventions for Sat, Sunday and Monday then they'll be around on the weekends. laugh

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Nittany Lion] #7313479
07/25/21 02:51 PM
07/25/21 02:51 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I like the way Bogmaster thinks. If the convention is advertised to run until the end of the day Saturday the vendors should stay. You don't see a business that has regular hours from 8 to 4 close at noon.

Eventually, if that business doesn't have the financial incentive they deem worthy, they'll start closing at noon. Problem solved.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313506
07/25/21 03:42 PM
07/25/21 03:42 PM

N
ND FTA
Unregistered
ND FTA
Unregistered
N

Hats off to the Iowa boys and the NTA for a really good time. We were there Thursday afternoon until just before noon on Saturday. If you do it again in a couple of years, we will be there. Well done folks.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313522
07/25/21 04:15 PM
07/25/21 04:15 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Requiring a deposit that is non-refundable if you leave early, won’t work. 2 reasons.

- if it is a small deposit, say $200.00 - dealers will just forfeit it and consider it part of their booth rent or other business expense.

- if it is a large deposit, say $1,000.00 - dealers, especially the small ones, won’t pay it to begin with. They might consider setting up in the tail gate area, when they can leave when they want. And pay less booth/space rent. Or they might not attend the event at all.

Another suggestion has been that if a dealer packs up early, they aren’t allowed back at future events. If this is enforced, after several years you won’t have many dealers.

In my opinion, this entire situation is a No Win.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313532
07/25/21 04:35 PM
07/25/21 04:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
ts just a symptom of the times.
Everyone just thinks of themselves only and couldnt give a crap about anyone else unless their wallet is opened.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313534
07/25/21 04:39 PM
07/25/21 04:39 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
The online info says 22-24th. It doesn't say Sunday. This is been a trend for a long time. It's what it is, sorry if you couldn't attend as it was great. I just arrived home.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313549
07/25/21 05:07 PM
07/25/21 05:07 PM
IA, WI, ND, IL
M
martyd Offline
trapper
martyd  Offline
trapper
M

IA, WI, ND, IL
Bico….. you are 100% correct. I was at Walmart today. Old guy like me a head of me getting ready to check out our own groceries. He said out loud …Now a days customer service means a business only provides a roof over your head so you don’t have to wade mud to buy their product and lights to see the product that they are re-selling to you. And if you are lucky Air condition. When we were going out the door he said he was at a local store 1 hour earlier and he said big sign on Door that said no public bathroom. That is what business is coming too. I can see both sides of the issue but a vendor can not complain if his sales are low because of a low show turn out if vendors are allowed to leave early ( might not catch up to them the first time but if it is a pattern it will ). I set up at gun shows and almost all show promoters tell you that you must stay open till at least 2:00 pm on Sunday on a Friday , Saturday ,Sunday show. Promoter even reminds dealers on loud speaker at 12:00 noon on Sunday’s of the policy. Trapping supplies are a lot like gun shows because they target a buyer that in many cases work Monday through Saturday. Maybe if I am not scheduled to work next year Monday through Saturday I can attend. I am sure every one had a good time. MD

Last edited by martyd; 07/25/21 05:08 PM.
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313552
07/25/21 05:15 PM
07/25/21 05:15 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I have put together demos for our show for 14 years now and 3 nationals and this debate always comes up about the conventions really start to see the vendors and the crowds dwindle about an hour after lunch time. Does not make much sense to me to create rules if they are not going to be followed. It also makes scheduling demos much harder, now almost all want a Friday as they know the drill on Saturdays. I am grateful for the vendors that commit to our shows and the attendees as state organizations would not be much without them. It is a big investment to vend at a large show that requires several days away from home as it is for a trapper or family to cover the cost of a couple days and nights away from home. It is good that they do because staying home and ordering from home is far, far cheaper than going. We hear a lot about the rondy deals and the no shipping but if one drives say 4 hours and spends two nights and a couple days with away meals, lodging etc. then not getting a deal and paying shipping and handling is really not expensive at all. Thank God thousands per year attend for the enjoyment they get out of being with friends and like minded people.

Bryce

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Boco] #7313559
07/25/21 05:24 PM
07/25/21 05:24 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Boco
ts just a symptom of the times.
Everyone just thinks of themselves only and couldnt give a crap about anyone else unless their wallet is opened.

Unlike Canada the USA especially IA is a free state where one can come and go as pleased. If you do not like it you just don't have to go or you can order on line. It totally has nothing to do with symptoms of the times other than there seems to be a lot of folks that are wanting to impose their desires on others and then blaming them.

BOZO read what you said and turn it around and you will be right. Lots of folks don't give a crap about others. Especially people who want venders to come early and stay late so everyone can come and go as they wish. Don't care about the venders. Geez what a way to look at things. Shame on venders who sat all week in the heat and wanted to get home. lol, LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313564
07/25/21 05:27 PM
07/25/21 05:27 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline

Central Pennsylvania
You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313565
07/25/21 05:31 PM
07/25/21 05:31 PM
UP Michigan
Yooper1978 Offline
trapper
Yooper1978  Offline
trapper

UP Michigan
Well, this used to be a good thread to come too and see how the convention was going. Now, it’s turned into whining.

Those that are complaining about the days/times etc, how many conventions have you put together? How many hours have you sat behind a booth at a convention? How many of you belong to the NTA, FTA, local trappers organization? How many of you have volunteered to help at these conventions? I get it, it’s hard to attend. Unfortunately, if you can’t get the time off to go, I guess you miss out. I couldn’t attend the NTA due to only having so much vacation time. Oh well, that’s the way it goes.

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313584
07/25/21 06:06 PM
07/25/21 06:06 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
You. start regulating people there with rules and regulationns, you can kiss the big conventions goodbye. I for one, hate mr bigshot telling me what I can and cannot do. I build everything I sell, and thought I would have enough to last till Sat. They had me picked clean by Fri morning. I stayed till three on Sat afternoon to answer questions and to take orders, but if you tried to charge me a fee and make me stay, I would never come in the first place. Don't try to make this like the gov where they want to tell you everything in your life.....it won't fly!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7313590
07/25/21 06:12 PM
07/25/21 06:12 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Any more pictures?

Re: 2021 convention IOWA [Re: Yooper1978] #7313597
07/25/21 06:18 PM
07/25/21 06:18 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Nittany Lion  Offline

Central Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Yooper1978
Well, this used to be a good thread to come too and see how the convention was going. Now, it’s turned into whining.

Those that are complaining about the days/times etc, how many conventions have you put together? How many hours have you sat behind a booth at a convention? How many of you belong to the NTA, FTA, local trappers organization? How many of you have volunteered to help at these conventions? I get it, it’s hard to attend. Unfortunately, if you can’t get the time off to go, I guess you miss out. I couldn’t attend the NTA due to only having so much vacation time. Oh well, that’s the way it goes.

If you are directing questions at me I will give you the answers. I never kept track of the hours I sat behind a both at a convention, but I helped a vendor at 7 National conventions. I am a lifetime member of the NTA, I belong to the FTA and I belong to 6 state trappers associations. I have helped at several Pennsylvania State trappers conventions.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread