No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: Moosetrot] #7316256
07/29/21 12:36 AM
07/29/21 12:36 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Moosetrot

I know when backpacking weight is a constant issue. However one of the things I craved when I came out of the bush was citrus. I started packing in 3 or 4 oranges and spaced them out every other day or so. Heavy, but a real treat.

The thing I craved the most was animal fat. Whenever I would come out I would head for the nearest burger joint and get myself the biggest, greasiest burger I cold find.

Moosetrot

Interesting. Do you often eat citrus in normal life? Because I only eat/drink it 10x a year tops. Eating citrus 3-4 days a week just seems odd to me lol.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: Moosetrot] #7316259
07/29/21 12:43 AM
07/29/21 12:43 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Originally Posted by 30/06
Pilot bread and peanut butter.

One of my favorite but it'll need a layer of Malkins Rasberry Jam on top of the peanut butter! I love Pilot Bread!

I spent about 4 months backpacking in Alaska and many more months throughout my life in the north and on the Pacific Crest Trail. One of my favorite was Rice a Roni spiked with extra butter. Also ate a lot of Ramen Noodles. If you add a handful of potato flakes it thickens it up nice. Mac and cheese ain't bad, either.

I know when backpacking weight is a constant issue. However one of the things I craved when I came out of the bush was citrus. I started packing in 3 or 4 oranges and spaced them out every other day or so. Heavy, but a real treat.

The thing I craved the most was animal fat. Whenever I would come out I would head for the nearest burger joint and get myself the biggest, greasiest burger I cold find.
------ besides the greasiest burger I could find -- fruits and vegetables were always on my top 10 list. ---- I do remember one trip -- we were out for about 14 days, and I was a "new" driver at the time --- we came out on a different trail-head than we went in on and I had to walk about 5 miles to get the truck ------- had a hard time remembering how to drive on a "road"
Moosetrot

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: yotetrapper30] #7316261
07/29/21 12:47 AM
07/29/21 12:47 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I do eat quite a bit of citrus but really did not have any while up in the bush in Alaska. I craved the sour taste of oranges and it felt good to pack some along.

Moosetrot

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316343
07/29/21 08:22 AM
07/29/21 08:22 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
I did 30 days in the Wind River range in Wyoming and most of our meals consisted of summer sausage and cheese. We had some of the powdered eggs or whatever those things are. The best thing we made was homemade pizza.

Made our own dough with yeast and carried it all day in a pot to let it rise. At camp that night we rolled it out into pizza crust and cooked pizzas. That's probably the most memorable meal of my life, it was phenomenal.

I was probably just hungry...

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316350
07/29/21 08:31 AM
07/29/21 08:31 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I just got back from 3 days/2 nights in the Absorakas in Wyoming. We did oatmeal and coffee in the morning, jerky and dried fruits for lunches, and instant potatoes and knorr pasta sides for suppers, plus tuna packets for both lunch and dinner. I use a wood gassifying stove to cook, so I don't have to carry fuel, and all my meals only require boiling water. The dog carries his own food in his own backpack grin

Last edited by loosegoose; 07/29/21 08:48 AM.
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316352
07/29/21 08:35 AM
07/29/21 08:35 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Being greener than a pea, I carried 16oz cans of chili in on my first sheep hunt. I made that mistake just once. I like the Mountain house products. Food and fresh undies is where it's at.

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316474
07/29/21 11:38 AM
07/29/21 11:38 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
I never liked most of the Mountain House stuff, but it is light.

When I prepared for a solo drop hunt in Alaska, a customer's wife gave me a lot of good tips from her backpacking days. She had some great recipes that were assembled and pre-measured before the trip that you could boil up quickly... and they tasted like you were eating at home. Asian grocery stores have alot of dried stuff that makes even a simple soup or pasta/rice taste great. I agree that without access to fish or small game, protein is a key. Fried spruce grouse and pike filets were a real treat on the Alaska trip.

Pete

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: swift4me] #7316481
07/29/21 11:46 AM
07/29/21 11:46 AM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Take a couple good beef steaks froze hard and wrapped in newspaper.
Take one out of the paper, use the paper to start a fire and grill the steak.
Repeat on the second day. After that use all the other stuff , if you are hungry it will be OK.

Zim

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316486
07/29/21 11:55 AM
07/29/21 11:55 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
You can ad a new dimension to your grub with squeeze tubes, filled with ?, can be had anywhere backpacking crap is sold.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316509
07/29/21 12:39 PM
07/29/21 12:39 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
I ordered some Peak dehydrated meals as a change up to Mountain house. Prolly try one tonight.

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316511
07/29/21 12:46 PM
07/29/21 12:46 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline OP
trapper
tomahawker  Offline OP
trapper
T

ohio
[Linked Image]

244 grams protein in all and weighing just a tic under 2lbs. We’ll see how it tastes

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7316520
07/29/21 12:56 PM
07/29/21 12:56 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
The most important question. How far are you going to hike? I just hiked to the Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshal the other day. 46 mile round trip and did it with a 48lb pack. Carrying cans of food is not ideal in that situation.

How far and what does the terrain look like?

Oh man, wasn't that an amazing trip you had, to the wall, John ? I recall my trips to that serene place too. I would hike in the Bob for up to 10-15 days at a time. Every day my pack got a little lighter. Three days walk from Spotted Bear access to the north.

A most lovely river, the White River, traverses along the western front of the wall. Every trip, I was with a small group of friends. I liked to specialize in making a clean organized camp for everyone. Including the privy smile I was good in finding just the right place , scenic, sun hitting at first light, but protected from view of trails or even mountaintop lookouts. Using wood logs instead of cold stones to be quite comfy as one pondered life smile Everyone loved how I did that for the camp.

We made base camp at the northern foot of the wall , every day hiking in every direction from base with just light daypacks. Coming back late afternoons to wash up in the year round cold White river, with our camp shoes enjoying the sunset and our campfire /cooking ring. We were clean, happy with fresh mountain water .

I have food down on those trips.

I pick up instant dried dinners cheap at the grocery store.Take the bags out of the boxes and pack just the baggies mix. No need to spend on specialized camp food when you can rig it up yourself. I would take along my spices and seasonings, all dried. I would also get dried fruits and meats . Salt and peppah.....Everything in baggies ...and mix in what we wanted all together each mealtime. Fresh clean water from the river made it all so good, and the fold up camp stoves worked perfectly. Very light weight with their own fuel bottles, two would do it fine. I had a small tiny wire grill top that swung from my pack which when put on stones just on the fire edge, made for perfect coffee every morning . Even used it for the fresh trout one of the friends loved to catch with his mini rod and reel.At most of the northern lakes and along rives high up, wild onions are so plentiful. I loved picking them all along the banks of the river and they made perfect fresh greens for the suppers. Being wild, they had a strong but sweet tangy taste.

Breakfasts were anything...some Crust Ease batter mix for pancakes with huckleberries , high and low bush types , when in season there. Or the nut/fruit/granola mix you speak of. With some M&Ms thrown in smile Lots of that. Perfect for eating as you travel, as you mentioned.

Cheese was good to have along , though with some weight to it. Chocolate bars , crackers, dried meats ...one young guy even packed in cans of smoked oysters and beans ....heavy and he of course packed the empties all out in his trash bag....as we all did the baggies.

I walked straight up the northern west side of the wall several times and spent most of my day walking its entire length to where it stopped to the south. Did you notice the wear in the solid granite along the summit where generations of deer and sheep had carved a real sidewalk trail along the edge? Not even a small stone on it , smooth and along the most level parts ,it was as nice as a sidewalk in a town. And those huge old growth Mountain Hemlocks , with great black/green gnarly boughs and drooping tops , in tight groups to weather the winter cold . I would carefully crawl to the edge and sit , looking down the vertical drop to the valley floor on the eastern side....the game trail as a thin string winding among the meadows and trees way below. I never could stand at the edge of any cliff edge...always sat down and shimmied close , sit up and enjoy. As quiet as could be...your mind speaking much louder than the air....on the backbone of the Divide. On top of the world in serenity . The tents of the camp as small dots below in the green grassy flower covered meadows , the great stands of various conifers sweeping the valley up the sides of the amphitheater of nearby peaks standing rocky jagged against the sky.

I know you admired all those things too, John. Not many make the effort to enjoy that place, that far in the Bob, much less climb to the top of the wall. I can see you doing that without breaking a sweat.

Life was good there. Seeing that from a chopper or plane is also breathtaking. Something I plan on doing with someone who will love it as I do, without the walk in.

Sorry to blather on, but that place on the White River was among the most peaceful, beautiful places I have hiked in. You stirred up memories , and what people take to eat on those trips.

Like Moose mentioned, at the end of every trip, all I wanted was big juicy cheeseburgers, or rib eye steaks , rice or pasta with buttah and cream ...craving that meat fresh ! The trout was nice, but didn't cut it for me for heavier protein.

And oh yes....lots of griz smile

One thing that is NEVAH too heavy to carry....my pistol, 44 mag Marlin lever rifle , ( others had 4570) , and extra ammo. When you get winded up passes and think of the weight...also think " salvation " .

grin

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316682
07/29/21 05:57 PM
07/29/21 05:57 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Sharon, you make me want to put a pack on and start walking in again. I met a few people on the trail who asked how far I was going in one day. I told them and they acted shocked. They asked how I got my motivation…I told them, “No one is shooting at me!”

I didn’t actually go down along the wall but now I’m going to go back and see for myself. It’s gorgeous up there and I’d love to do it on horseback. I just don’t have any horses. Lol. Maybe one day.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316769
07/29/21 07:48 PM
07/29/21 07:48 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I've always thought riding in , or on any trip would be great. Higher up and can see the views without having to watch your every step. But, handling a string of brumbies is a lot of work too. And heaven forbid one of them feels they will not cross something, or spooks on a high line trail at a bear. Or unseats the rider and doesn't hang around to be caught up. Otherwise, the good ones are fun and taken all the time in the outback.

It's worth every mile to see that wonderful place again, though. Just wait till there isn't smoke from the fires to mess with your views.

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316826
07/29/21 09:10 PM
07/29/21 09:10 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
When I did it with my kids for 3 to 7 day. I would pack chuck eye stake, beef riblets, eggs, coffee, vegal, nuts and Miller beerpacked in ice and a small grill and a 0 bag.

Kids carry cloths and a bag.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316829
07/29/21 09:12 PM
07/29/21 09:12 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
And a 45

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7316938
07/29/21 10:37 PM
07/29/21 10:37 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
On my AT hike I used mountain house and peak. Both hit the spot after a 20 mile day. Some days knors noodles and instant mashed potatoes. The meals from peak and Mt House do a better job of filling you up. Payday bars and dried apricots for breakfast and lunch. It’s nothing to burn 5000 calories a day hiking so you can eat a lot of stuff.
Dried apricots have more potassium than banana chips for the weight.( good for leg cramps)

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: Vinke] #7317026
07/30/21 12:18 AM
07/30/21 12:18 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Vinke
When I did it with my kids for 3 to 7 day. I would pack chuck eye stake, beef riblets, eggs, coffee, vegal, nuts and Miller beerpacked in ice and a small grill and a 0 bag.

Kids carry cloths and a bag.
You’re tougher than a badger, Dave. I’d never carry that much stuff. Lol.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7317048
07/30/21 01:06 AM
07/30/21 01:06 AM
pennsylvania 28 yrs old
B
barry leroy Offline
trapper
barry leroy  Offline
trapper
B

pennsylvania 28 yrs old
Hardtack

Re: Best backpack meals [Re: tomahawker] #7317079
07/30/21 06:18 AM
07/30/21 06:18 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Online content
trapper
OhioBoy  Online Content
trapper

Ohio
Good thread. I've just started buying gear and wanting to get into it. Learning as I go. Some day I'll do the Appalachian Trail. After reading Sharon's write up though something like that is probably more my style, with less people.

Seems like a tin of lard or something would be the way to go. I read an article once where these kids went to South America on a mission trip living with the dirt poor locals. Growing and selling radishes in town and living on dried beans as they did. They kept losing weight and getting sickly and couldn't figure out how the locals did it. Then one of the elder woman showed them the trick of all the lard the locals put in their beans vs none in theirs. Those calories and that fat made all the difference in the world and a brick of lard was as cheap as a bag of beans. Anyway, that story sticks with me for some reason. Growing and selling radishes in the rain forest trying to live on beans and the diff in living or dying was a fat table spoon of lard.

Seems like you could do alot with dried meat beef fish etc, dried fruit, dried veggies, ramen, tuna packs, granola, trail mix, some rice, some beans, pay day candy bars, oatmeal raisens brown sugar... like Sharon was saying you could individually bag all that up and be fairly well set I would think. Add in a thing of lard and you'd probably be adding it to your morning oatmeal too. I can cook though and can see it in my head. I can see how someone would just want a premade meal in a bag I guess and not know how or want to fuss with it all.

Best wishes and happy hiking to all.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread