No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Predator calls [Re: Scuba1] #7316263
07/29/21 12:50 AM
07/29/21 12:50 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
There's some from ecalls you can download on your phone. In a pinch make a megaphone with a plastic bottle. Cut a hole in it big enough for your phone and the volume is increased and travels farther.

Re: Predator calls [Re: Scuba1] #7316264
07/29/21 12:53 AM
07/29/21 12:53 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Honestly my favorite are mouth calls from foxpro.
Here's one I have. The sounds are awesome and it's easy to use. I also have the 4k9pup one and another I can't remember the model name off hand.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/foxpro-kamikaze-predator-call

Last edited by adam m; 07/29/21 12:53 AM. Reason: Stupid phone put wrong words
Re: Predator calls [Re: Scuba1] #7316279
07/29/21 05:33 AM
07/29/21 05:33 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Fox pro has been great for me, everyone makes a squealing rabbit. Do a little looking into coyote vocals themselves and what you’d like to portray. If you get a sequence that works it can be a good time.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Predator calls [Re: Pawnee] #7316741
07/29/21 07:16 PM
07/29/21 07:16 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline OP
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline OP
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Around here mouth call is the way to go. Way to many electronic calls and guys that don’t know what they are doing. Good luck

I am one of those guys that know what he is doing. But ya have to start somewhere.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Predator calls [Re: Scuba1] #7316745
07/29/21 07:23 PM
07/29/21 07:23 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Everone who starts trapping wants to know the magic set and scent. Everyone who starts calling wants the magic sound. IMO the hardest thing is getting to your stand without those hyper alert coyotes knowing your there. Sound etc is sure enough important but putting the sneak on song dogs takes a little doing

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Predator calls [Re: beaverpeeler] #7316867
07/29/21 09:38 PM
07/29/21 09:38 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I started out with handcalls and then got a Johnny Stewart cassette caller. Have had plenty of success with both. I now have a FoxPro and it's a pretty good caller. The thing I like about the E callers is I can set up the speaker away from my location and control with a remote. At certain times having the ability to sound like a challenging female coyote or some other coyote language can come in handy.

In summary I carry both and still use both. I'm glad I have the FoxPro. It was worth the money. Out here in the west I'm convinced that the main FoxPro sounds used have been heard too many times by coyotes and late season coyotes are hard to call in. I often turn to the handballs then.

In the midwest too. It's like trapping: once the pups are killed, it get's a lot more challenging in every aspect.
I started a long time ago. My first electronic calling was done with Burnham Brothers records (hard, flat sound producing things also called "vinyl"). Then on to JS cassettes & so on. In my opinion JS was one of the worst managed brands in the sporting world. They never seemed to know what they had. But that's off topic.
I always have a hand call or two with me.

Re: Predator calls [Re: danny clifton] #7316880
07/29/21 09:49 PM
07/29/21 09:49 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Everone who starts trapping wants to know the magic set and scent. Everyone who starts calling wants the magic sound. IMO the hardest thing is getting to your stand without those hyper alert coyotes knowing your there. Sound etc is sure enough important but putting the sneak on song dogs takes a little doing

Most don't realize they need to be hunting when they are calling coyotes. They call from their back porch, their trucks, or walk across the pasture like they are strolling around the golf course.

Re: Predator calls [Re: beaverpeeler] #7316883
07/29/21 09:52 PM
07/29/21 09:52 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I remember being in a coyote calling contest near Tensleep, Wyoming and watching a coyote get up from its bed after calling with my Johnny Stewart Jackrabbit cassette and seeing it hightailing it out of that valley. Hadn't seen me, it was about 450 yards away...it was just the recording that spooked it. They call the heck out of them all year round in that country.

I was calling south of Tensleep about 9 or 10 years ago down near the county line in the open range country. I had my b.i.l. drop me off so I wouldn't have a vehicle to distract. I traveled some distance from the road up a little cut that kept me covered to a knoll on the side of a hill where I had a great view in 3 directions. No luck. I decided to climb to the peak & enjoy a snack and the fantastic view. There was a canyon that ran out the backside of the hill. When I got to the top, there was another hunter just over the crest of the hill on the canyon rim and another two together way down the canyon.
They couldn't see or hear each other apparently. I just put my calls back in my pocket.

Re: Predator calls [Re: Scuba1] #7316893
07/29/21 10:01 PM
07/29/21 10:01 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
You need a bait pile not a caller.