No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: possum63] #7316538
07/29/21 01:29 PM
07/29/21 01:29 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by possum63
One thing that keeps getting overlooked here is trappers against trappers. In the grand scheme of things we need to work together. The bickering and finger pointing amongst ourselves is every bit as bad as not having fresh blood. I'm not perfect either....but I am willing to be better.

I guess I am willing to be better too but nothing about what you have said is new. Trappers have never been unified and most are loners or at least claim to be. I know I like to be by my self in my own area. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316539
07/29/21 01:30 PM
07/29/21 01:30 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Like with animal populations, its a loss of habitat or in this case, loss of trapping grounds that are easily accessible to kids. I walked to the river or the fields our back.

Had I had to rely on my parents to take me on a line, I'd have never set a trap.

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316540
07/29/21 01:33 PM
07/29/21 01:33 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
And for what it is worth I do not question your trapping ability Iowa Trapper. I never did. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: LLtrapper] #7316541
07/29/21 01:35 PM
07/29/21 01:35 PM
north central Iowa
P
possum63 Offline
trapper
possum63  Offline
trapper
P

north central Iowa
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
One thing that keeps getting overlooked here is trappers against trappers. In the grand scheme of things we need to work together. The bickering and finger pointing amongst ourselves is every bit as bad as not having fresh blood. I'm not perfect either....but I am willing to be better.

I guess I am willing to be better too but nothing about what you have said is new. Trappers have never been unified and most are loners or at least claim to be. I know I like to be by my self in my own area. LLL

I understand that. And that's one of the main reasons I trap is to be alone. I've had offers to trap with others and always refused. And please don't think I'm pointing my finger at you LL. It's way bigger than that

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316543
07/29/21 01:46 PM
07/29/21 01:46 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
I didnt

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: LLtrapper] #7316556
07/29/21 02:23 PM
07/29/21 02:23 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Law Dog
If you look back to just last year what happened when the idea of people not being able to get the basic things they wanted/needed. All of a sudden people are canning, baking breads, growing gardens and asking about hunting and fishing. 7 million new gun buyers so start seeing what can see and question everything you hear on the MSM. A hack reporter standing in front of a burning building saying peaceful protesters would be my example.

I question everything I do not know to be fact but I am vilified for that. LLL

Try using Law Dog as your sign and see how that goes for you it’s not as bad as it was in the past but I don’t hide what I do because others don’t take the time to figure things out. Never let others get in your head would be my advice.

Last edited by Law Dog; 07/29/21 03:39 PM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316557
07/29/21 02:29 PM
07/29/21 02:29 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
The first thing I must say is while trapping ,fishing and hunting are quite diffenet than say 40 , 20 or even a year or two ago . The is still a great interest in the outdoor sports . . The people that still want to be a a part of that world are some of the most intelligent insightful hard working people in the historty of man kind WE WILLL NOT CHAnge the world in a day or by the millioins at a time .Yet by one person and and by many smalll acts of liooking for opputurinies to teach others that wish to learrn about trapping what we do and what we beleive are the proper way to be a memeber of the trapping /fur industry of society .The fur trappers of the 1800's where looked at with envy and as masters of their own universe . And while I see the satisfaction they must have lived during their lived I would not care to trolrate those conditions while running a fur line . Since the beginniing of time there been hunter/ gathers and others the raisied their own food and other needs through farming All we can do is pass on the needs for why we still trap and the joy the beginiing good at is is imprtant ot each of us as indivaduals and to scociety as a whole The are so many good remarks in this thread about the future of trapping I am actually now havibg a better day I have been dealing with some health issues and not been having to many good days But by ythe positive comments make I see therer is a mqajority og goood people willinfg the make a difference

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316565
07/29/21 02:43 PM
07/29/21 02:43 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I asked a major dealer what they did in the off season years back, the reply was ADC mostly, private and Government type trappers.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: Law Dog] #7316567
07/29/21 02:49 PM
07/29/21 02:49 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by Law Dog
It’s always been that 12 people try it and maybe only 1-2 stick with it at least you educated the other 10 or 11 about trapping. It’s the old I took karate lessons guy that really signed up for 10 lessons and went three times but he’s still talking positive about it. Every time you help someone out with trapping your presenting it in a better light then before to them.

Good way to look at it

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: LLtrapper] #7316666
07/29/21 05:22 PM
07/29/21 05:22 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI

People in general, not just trappers. It's just human nature.

No Jab.
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316755
07/29/21 07:29 PM
07/29/21 07:29 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
I for one don't want another fur boom. The so called trappers came out of the woodwork and ethics were thrown out the window. Most of the new regulations were because of this. It also brought the thieves out in force. Be careful what you wish for as you may well get it.

I agree 100 percent!!! Well Said!!!

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: gman] #7316785
07/29/21 08:07 PM
07/29/21 08:07 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I started in 1980 and missed the most of that fur boom era and from discussions I have heard for the most part glad I did. The real benefit for me when the prices fell is that I picked up tons of permission, many of which I still trap today.
We as trappers also want to idolize the mountain man era. Most were traders that bought or traded for fur with natives that caught the fur. Many were stock piled or sponsored by wealthy fur buyers and thus were really agents for a few wealthy people or firms and when the beaver felt hat hit the skids, many worked for the government as guides, trackers etc. So in reality much of what we want to remember is how they dressed not how they worked as small independent business persons. Sure it was wild and free and romantic in many ways but they were basically on an allowance for a few wealthy.

Bryce

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7316919
07/29/21 10:24 PM
07/29/21 10:24 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Saw a picture of a red fox missing a front leg above the elbow on a billboard on I 80. Caption was from the Wackos trying to get steel banned everywhere. Saw a bigger more professional billboard with a local burrito/ mex. restaurant..couple of observations.
1.) The antis have always generalized large mass markets, and specialized with intense pressure on local single
item agendas.
2.) If a local business can afford a larger taller more professional billboard than a nonprofit with deep pockets
billboards must not be very expensive just saying
Talk about my two cents
Fluffy in a coyotes mouth or #3 set your choice. Or how about “FUR the original ORGANIC clothing”
Picture of the duckling covered in oil, “ Do you really want to wear petrochemical synthetics “
Meh, never happen, trying to get trappers to agree on anything is tougher than herding cats.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7317063
07/30/21 04:46 AM
07/30/21 04:46 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Its a matter of economics. If the kid needs money and is shown how to trap and put up fur, and has a market readily available to sell his catch and make good money. He will go out again.

It take all those elements combined to keep the youth and many adults interested.

I started buying fur here with no one trapping. I lured new trappers in with good prices and trapping equipment available to purchase with fur, along with instruction to help them out.

I had 30 or more trappers in this small village of 800 from nothing in a few short years.

When the bottom started falling out of fur prices I shut down here and moved into antler buying. Almost overnight they stopped trapping and started looking for antler. Moose shed starting in late November same as trapping, and worth very good money. I have young guys and girls now selling me antler making more than I every did trapping on a good year.

In my opinion if fur prices would of held and the market was there. and a buyer readily available There would be new recruits every year.

Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: charles] #7317238
07/30/21 10:45 AM
07/30/21 10:45 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by charles

Know anybody who bird hunts for food? Me neither.

Yes. Most people here hunt spruce grouse for food. They shoot them on the ground or sitting in trees with a .22 I usually harvest 25 to 30 per year and prefer the YOY as they are more tender. About a third I shoot in the yard. I package 3 to 4 breast per bag for eating throughout the winter. The rest is used for marten bait, which results in more money to buy food when prices are reasonable. My favorite recipe is spruce hen in sage sauce. On a good day I will shoot some ruff grouse. They are better eating than the spruce grouse.

Last edited by Dirt; 07/30/21 10:48 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: yukonjeff] #7317239
07/30/21 10:49 AM
07/30/21 10:49 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Its a matter of economics. If the kid needs money and is shown how to trap and put up fur, and has a market readily available to sell his catch and make good money. He will go out again.

It take all those elements combined to keep the youth and many adults interested.

I started buying fur here with no one trapping. I lured new trappers in with good prices and trapping equipment available to purchase with fur, along with instruction to help them out.

I had 30 or more trappers in this small village of 800 from nothing in a few short years.

When the bottom started falling out of fur prices I shut down here and moved into antler buying. Almost overnight they stopped trapping and started looking for antler. Moose shed starting in late November same as trapping, and worth very good money. I have young guys and girls now selling me antler making more than I every did trapping on a good year.

In my opinion if fur prices would of held and the market was there. and a buyer readily available There would be new recruits every year.

Exactly right.
Like Ralph Bice said years ago."trappers follow their line of work primarily because they like the freedom of the bush and the lifestyle.But if they cannot expect a monetary return to support their families there would be no reason to follow this line of work."

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: Boco] #7317248
07/30/21 11:01 AM
07/30/21 11:01 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by yukonjeff

Exactly right.
Like Ralph Bice said years ago."trappers follow their line of work primarily because they like the freedom of the bush and the lifestyle.But if they cannot expect a monetary return to support their families there would be no reason to follow this line of work."

Funny thing is these Sport guys think they are carrying on the tradition of the mountainmen. The mountainmen were motivated by economics. Do these people seriously think that they went out into the rocky mountains and risked their lives and suffered cold, starvation, and other hardships for the lifestyle? Good money made them do it.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will we be our own demise? [Re: IowaTrapper] #7317372
07/30/21 01:45 PM
07/30/21 01:45 PM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
very true dirt one of the things i get a kick out of is someone telling how hard someone is working trapping its their choice you dont have to make work of it work is something you have to do untill the job is done no matter what the conditions are pouring cement square baling hay in 100 degree weather jobs like these that you hire on to do untill the job is done not something you want to do but really dont have to

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread