No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7320280
08/02/21 10:34 PM
08/02/21 10:34 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Guys, I hit pay dirt today.

I had a little break from work today, went back out to where a man lost his keys. They mowed it off down to about 10 inches or so? I dropped my own keys, and checked it out, no problem finding them from 10". I think it's been 2 or 3 years since he lost his keys?

Anyway, I blazed a trail, in the area where I was asked to search. Promptly found a pull tab. Then I dug up a brass water spigot, out in the middle of now where. Then I hit the Mother Load. A 1999 Dime.

I was running out of time and had to get back to work. But I've got all of my treasure locked up here in the vault. lol

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7320289
08/02/21 10:41 PM
08/02/21 10:41 PM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
Have you had any luck with civil war sites?

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7320984
08/03/21 06:56 PM
08/03/21 06:56 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Hmmm, that one place where I hunted years ago, we found some grape shot. Little iron balls, about the size of a golf ball. I've found fired bullets, which I assume would have been from the Civil war. About all of the good spots around here have been detected a thousand times, by guys that know what they're doing too.

I have some good spots lined up, and a few more that are only a phone call away. It just takes time.

One spot that I was really looking forward to detecting, I asked the landowner face to face, and she almost yelled NO. It's no big deal, but that was kind of a let down. I've got permission to detect the property, just beside of her land.

Just too many irons in the fire to go out and tinker around much. I should have a break from work in the morning, if I do, I'm going to check out a new spot. By the time I drive up there and all, I'll only have an hour or so to fool around, but that's the plan.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7321266
08/04/21 01:44 AM
08/04/21 01:44 AM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Originally Posted by redsnow
Hmmm, that one place where I hunted years ago, we found some grape shot. Little iron balls, about the size of a golf ball. I've found fired bullets, which I assume would have been from the Civil war. About all of the good spots around here have been detected a thousand times, by guys that know what they're doing too.

I have some good spots lined up, and a few more that are only a phone call away. It just takes time.

One spot that I was really looking forward to detecting, I asked the landowner face to face, and she almost yelled NO. It's no big deal, but that was kind of a let down. I've got permission to detect the property, just beside of her land.

Just too many irons in the fire to go out and tinker around much. I should have a break from work in the morning, if I do, I'm going to check out a new spot. By the time I drive up there and all, I'll only have an hour or so to fool around, but that's the plan.

No matter how good someone is, they are never going to hit 100%. There is always something left behind. If the good guys have hit it hard, that means that there was something worth finding there. That means it is worth checking out again for yourself. No spot is ever totally hunted out.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7321284
08/04/21 04:55 AM
08/04/21 04:55 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Really good read at 4:30 a.m. when im bored. Please update us and happy happy hunting!!!

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7322043
08/04/21 10:02 PM
08/04/21 10:02 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
I agree, we'll never find 100%. Just that the easy pickin's have been picked.

There was a guy here, years ago, I knew him, they said he went into a place and came out with his pockets full of silver coins. Indian Head Penny's and Wheat Penny's. I know where he was detecting, but I don't think it's legal to be there.

Guys, I hit pay dirt today. I've got it right here beside me or in my pocket.

My first good find was an alluminum pop cap, one of those big ones like they had on glass bottles. Tinkered on around and found a Lincoln Penny. Found the zipper handle thing to a zipper. A .22 long rifle brass, I think a 9mm brass. Some kind of other little chunk of brass, not sure what it is? But I'll tell you, it's a good one!

Found an antique pull tab, only used once.

The ground here is really dry and hard. My toughest find today, was down 7 or 8 inches. It sounded good, one of those targets that you really can't walk away, without digging. I dug a crater.

It was an AC Delco spark plug! I messed around digging that hole forever.

But I did find a 1956 Wheat Penny.

I don't know this machine yet (maybe never will?), but it's working. Just takes time.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7322061
08/04/21 10:24 PM
08/04/21 10:24 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
I found a little change today. One target turned out to be 3 quarters stacked on top of each other. I also found a ring with about 50 diamonds on it. The ring looks to be brass but rung up like gold. I have not looked at it good yet. I suspect that it is bling.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7322074
08/04/21 10:33 PM
08/04/21 10:33 PM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
Never ever give up on a spot , i have one farm that i have found several three ringers ,ring tail sharps and sixty nine cal.round balls in and its been pounded to death. i hunt my dads farm at a 1910 school house site and find coins there for the last six years ,just keep swinging its there.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7322314
08/05/21 10:08 AM
08/05/21 10:08 AM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Well, I've got the big machine on charge.

I'd get bored hunting the same spots time after time. Unless I was finding some really good stuff.

Just thinking about it, if I'd hunt all of the spots that I know, just 2 times, I'll never get to all of them in my lifetime. I work a lot of hours.

Big Donnie and I are going fishing today. It's too hot to shoot groundhogs, ground is too hard to detect. I'll take my mask and fins and check for good junk in the river.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7333995
08/19/21 10:20 AM
08/19/21 10:20 AM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
I'm going to update my recent digs. I've had the machine out 4 times since my last comment, usually about 2 hours each or so?

Haven't found anything really special. Yesterday I found a few rifle bullets, modern bullets I mean. I did find an old single-bit ax head. I haven't really looked at it yet, it's all pitted up and all, but I'd guess it was hand forged. Maybe not? It's old.

I should have a break today, I have permission to check out a new place. The landowner said that there are cut stone, I guess for a house foundation? Slim odds of finding anything good, but if I would find anything it should be old.

I'm not finding many good solid targets, but most everything that I"ve dug needs to be dug up.

Not sure what you guys think?, but a .22 bullet is a target that needs to be dug in my opinion. I'm still learning.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7334021
08/19/21 11:19 AM
08/19/21 11:19 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
On my GM1000 a .22 rimfire bullet says the same as gold. So yeah you got to diggem.
I read on the nugget shooter forum a few guys were having trouble with the NOX control box getting wet inside if they submerged it. FWIW.
So far all I have found is a bunch, several dozen bullets/brass, a bunch of late 19th early 20th century’s junk,cans bottle tops a button. And! A few chunks of multi metal ore, some really pretty colors inside the rocks from bright rose red to deep emerald green makes the beeper scream.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7335790
08/21/21 11:44 AM
08/21/21 11:44 AM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Well, that'd be pretty neat to find a hot rock.

I took the new machine out the other evening, I guess all together I was out for 4 hours or a little better. That's long enough for me. I was using the headphones, my daughter made me a "cheat sheet" how to get them paired with the machine. I'll post it later, it's only 4 or 5 lines. That 30 second wait is what messed me up.

I'll tell you I was hunting an old house site, not sure when it fell down and rotted up? But there isn't a trace of it left now. The house was in a small hollow, it's only 50 yards wide, so it was right there someplace. But the weeds and briers are so thick that you just can't get to the ground. Can't even fight your way through the raspberry vines.

I made 2 loops near the place, typical junk. Rifle, shotgun brass, bullets, beer and vienna sausage cans.

Found some kind of what I'd guess is a brass knob for a dresser or nightstand, pretty design, junk. Found one of those old zinc jar lids, with the white glass inards, about half the jar was still attached. Years ago, someone dropped a jar of peaches or more likely a quart of moonshine. Your guess is as good as mine.

Went on out and hit a good target, dug it up, caked with dirt, scrubbed it off the best I could, and spit on it, and scrubbed some more, it was a buffalo Nickle. I could see the buffalo, but couldn't make out the date. I thought Woo-Hoo. I'd hit pay dirt again.

Brought it home and the date on the Nickle is 2005. That was kind of a bummer, but I'll take it.

Like we talked above, one guy on 100 acres for 5 hours, I only detected just a drop in the bucket. I'll go back. Found one spot where there are 3 rock piles, just like field stones, so at one point in time something went on in that area. I was getting signals, sounded like iron junk, but when I get a chance I'll get up there again.

But I'm getting more comfortable with the machine, it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7339580
08/25/21 09:00 PM
08/25/21 09:00 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Well, I hit pay dirt again. (minus gas money and all).

I had a break from work last evening, checked out a different spot around the old homestead that I mentioned above. Didn't find much. One thing that I thought was interesting, and my best find was a brass key hole thingy. It's a little bit bigger than a postage stamp, I'd love to find the brass key that worked that lock. That'd be cool.

Dug up 4 or 5 zinc jar lids, a couple in good shape too.

Went back out this morning and found a little brass something, looks like it was made to be crimped onto leather, like a belt or watch band. Pretty design. Not sure?

The property where I was hunting is back more than a mile from a public road, when I struck pay dirt, it was kind of at a "wide spot". And right there it was. A Lincoln Penny. So, didn't make much on that trip.

Found a couple bullets, and some other junk, that's about it.

Another man gave me permission to detect his farm, not sure but it was 20 years ago when he bought the place or so? He had an old house knocked down and buried. Just talked to him today again, he drew me a little map, so you know there are kinds of treasure around that place. I might go check it out tomorrow?

I've talked to some of the local detectors, you never know where the kids were feeding the dog or the chickens or checking on the cows. Who knows where folks dropped coins or other good stuff.

Not sure what you guys think, but I'm content to be out 100 or 150 yards from a known site and see what is there. But I'm having fun. The dog is too.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7339659
08/25/21 10:42 PM
08/25/21 10:42 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
On those old homesites, try to figure out where the clothesline was.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7339715
08/26/21 12:37 AM
08/26/21 12:37 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Redsnow keep on swinging. Something good will turn up. I’ve been trying to get a house ready for sale so kind of grounded for awhile.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7341989
08/28/21 08:58 PM
08/28/21 08:58 PM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Oh, I'll keep on swinging. I'm still learning. Or the machine is learning me?

I'll tell you a little bit about the one property where I've been detecting, there's never been any electric service in that area. I've been on that property 3 times so far, not in the same spot. I'll tell you that the greenbriers and raspberry vines are just so thick that you can't fight your way through.

Really, if a feller would want to hunt the place hard, you'd almost need to get up in there with a tractor and brush hog, or a dozer. It's just a tangled up mess.

I know where the house was located, pretty sure it never burnt down, it just fell and rotted up. A log house, so it's old. No trace of the house left, other than the chimney stones. Not sure when they stopped using those zinc jar lids? I'd guess they date back to the 40's or before?

Messed around another place yesterday, the landowner said that folks lived in that house till up in the 70's, so all that junk would be new. He's done so much dirt work, landscaping, just looking at the lay of the land, the high side of the house foundation is under 3 or 4 feet of fill dirt.

Found a couple pieces of junk, new junk. Did find one little brass key, I'd guess it went to some kind of dozer or tractor?

Hit one target, it was giving me a good, solid 8 or 9 on the machine. Pain in the butt finding the thing, it was the primer base/end on what I'd guess was a CCI Stinger .22 brass. Those nickel looking brass cases. It sounded good, but junk.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7342255
08/29/21 08:05 AM
08/29/21 08:05 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
keep at it you will fine the mother load yet , smile

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7345717
09/02/21 01:32 AM
09/02/21 01:32 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Whoo. Hooo big strike on Douglas creek at the edge of the Platt River Wilderness
Was swinging the monster and it started screaming, some fly fisherperson left their hemostats on the bank of a nice run and subsequent high water had buried them about six inches. Surgical stainless so no rust one of these days it’s gonna be a 30 gram nugget and WhooHoo for sure.

Last edited by cmcf; 09/02/21 01:35 AM.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7345928
09/02/21 10:23 AM
09/02/21 10:23 AM
WV
R
redsnow Offline OP
trapper
redsnow  Offline OP
trapper
R

WV
Good deal. One of these days you're going to find a use for those forceps. I've been swimming in the local rivers this summer, with my mask and fins, haven't really found much this season. Mostly junk. Over the years I've found some good junk swimming.

Talking about staying at it and all. My buddy Jason, he's a little bit older than me, and he's been detecting for about 40 years. We've tected toghether a few times, he's running a Fisher 1266X. It's been within the last year or so he finally found a gold coin. It was a $5 gold piece. I've seen pics, but that has been his best find.

Jay and I've talked about it before, we've probably walked over gold. Never know?

Above where I was telling you about the old homestead where I hunted the other day. Jay has hunted there before, I thought it was virgin territory. I told him about the brass key that I found, not sure but it was down, 4, 5, maybe 6 inches? I mean it was junk, but we'll never find everything. I gave the key to the landowner.

But Jay and I were talking, another guy did find an 1800's silver half dollar the other day. That would be worthy of a Whoo.Hooo.

As a rule when I hit a target, I expect to dig up junk, usually it's junk. Now and then I'm wrong. I guess that's what keeps all of us digging.

The big machine is fully charged, headphones too, and I'm going to a new spot today. We've had some rain, junk should sound good, so we'll see what happens.

Re: Metal Detectors. [Re: redsnow] #7345969
09/02/21 11:28 AM
09/02/21 11:28 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I have a Minelab Excalibur. I have found some pretty cool stuff with it. But, I'd really like to move up to the Equinox.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread