No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Shoulder questions #7328646
08/12/21 07:40 PM
08/12/21 07:40 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline OP
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline OP
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Has anyone had surgery for a torn shoulder tendon and a torn labrum. If so how long was recovery time?
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: Shoulder questions [Re: Bogmaster] #7328655
08/12/21 07:50 PM
08/12/21 07:50 PM
alabama
BandB Offline
trapper
BandB  Offline
trapper

alabama
Yep. 6 weeks of therapy. I think 9 weeks total before I was released to go back to work. Took a while longer to actually get back to mostly normal.

Re: Shoulder questions [Re: Bogmaster] #7328669
08/12/21 08:06 PM
08/12/21 08:06 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..I have had surgery on both shoulders..It to me is one of the most painful recovery processes in the books..One has to do at home therapy daily..The reason for this is to keep the shoulder from becoming frozen..The pain is almost unbearable and I can take pain..every day is taking your reps to the edge and knowing when to stop..You ask about recovery time..Everyone is different on the time it takes to rehab the shoulder and all its complex structure..As for me I'm into 10.5 months on one shoulder..I have 100 percent range of motion..It took months to achieve this milestone..There will be a time 4-7 months from down the line and your procedure will feel good..If you do more than your shoulder repair can withstand it can very easily be torn again..now your repairing the repair and that is not a good thing..I will consider my shoulder healed at 12 months from day of surgery..It takes a long long time for soft tissue to heal around the affected area..FWIW

Last edited by Chamacat; 08/12/21 08:07 PM.

I can catch them here...I can catch them ANYWHERE
Re: Shoulder questions [Re: Bogmaster] #7328690
08/12/21 08:27 PM
08/12/21 08:27 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
Not sure what you have going on I did hear a lot of shoulder surgery was unneeded not so long ago. I messed up both shoulder trying to move huge rounds to the splitter one shoulder is good now the other I messed up because slipping on the ice. I’m just getting to work my bow now but I had to turn it down a bit to do so.

At one point I could not lift my elbows up to my shoulder levels.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Shoulder questions [Re: Bogmaster] #7328710
08/12/21 08:58 PM
08/12/21 08:58 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep....The orthopedic surgeon told me straight out that if you do nothing as an option..Then your shoulder will stay the same as it is now..And could get worse over time..If you already know what soft tissue is to be repaired then I assume you already have had a MRI..That's when the tire meets the road..And even with the MRI knowledge when they get in there they..maybe even do more repair than what was on the MRI..There are those people that can get better without a surgical procedure and therapy increased their range of motion and reduced pain..However that was not the case for me..I had to much damage

Last edited by Chamacat; 08/12/21 09:06 PM.

Re: Shoulder questions [Re: Bogmaster] #7328775
08/12/21 10:09 PM
08/12/21 10:09 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline OP
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline OP
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Thanks for the info guys,its what I was afraid of.Been putting up with the pain for 2 plus months,MRI was last friday,meet with the Dr. tomorrow.Its my right shoulder and was hoping to be back in shape for one last big waterfowl hunt,the beginning of Oct.--looks like that probably won't happen.
I am still hoping.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: Shoulder questions [Re: Bogmaster] #7328780
08/12/21 10:13 PM
08/12/21 10:13 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
When I had mine (4 times in about 8 years), surgeons wrote prescriptions for tons of Percocet. I discovered that the sooner I could get off them, the sooner I could conquer the pain. You will need them at first.

I never did much therapy at home. Went to a therapy clinic. Always took a pill in the parking lot. The first two procedures I used the same PT clinic. I thought they would break every bone in my shoulder. The second two operations were done when I lived on the coast. The therapist there was just as good, but not so brutal. If your PT person nearly kills you, find a new one. It doesn't have to be that painful to work.

When you are recovering, you cannot pick up much with either arm, your good arm or your bad arm. If you don't have a comfortable recliner, get one. You will sleep in it many nights. Trust me on these suggestions.

Re: Shoulder questions [Re: charles] #7328798
08/12/21 10:34 PM
08/12/21 10:34 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Originally Posted by charles
When I had mine (4 times in about 8 years), surgeons wrote prescriptions for tons of Percocet. I discovered that the sooner I could get off them, the sooner I could conquer the pain. You will need them at first.

I never did much therapy at home. Went to a therapy clinic. Always took a pill in the parking lot. The first two procedures I used the same PT clinic. I thought they would break every bone in my shoulder. The second two operations were done when I lived on the coast. The therapist there was just as good, but not so brutal. If your PT person nearly kills you, find a new one. It doesn't have to be that painful to work.

When you are recovering, you cannot pick up much with either arm, your good arm or your bad arm. If you don't have a comfortable recliner, get one. You will sleep in it many nights. Trust me on these suggestions.

Yep..So do you have 100 percent full range of motion and no pain?

Last edited by Chamacat; 08/12/21 10:35 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread