No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7328613
08/12/21 07:01 PM
08/12/21 07:01 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Trucking tends to be a dangerous occupation.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7328714
08/12/21 09:05 PM
08/12/21 09:05 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
DOT has been brutal around here for about the last three months . I'm putting new tires on the rear drive axle tomarrow . $1600 for generic drives .They have been on a real tire enforcement kick . Theve been putting guys out of service ,and the mobile service guys have raised their price to $300 minimum for service call .

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7328718
08/12/21 09:09 PM
08/12/21 09:09 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Hauling logs is dangerous. In all kinds of ways. It should pay good.

Those guys are some of the most aggressive drivers on the road. Is there any such thing as criminal threatening by motor vehicle? There should be. I had one of the worst encounters with a truck driver I've ever had just yesterday. Odd given the timing of this thread and my previous comments.

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: Squash] #7329100
08/13/21 10:23 AM
08/13/21 10:23 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
I drove truck for awhile for the lumber I worked for. Would bring hard maple lumber to AMF in Lowville and then pick up a load of cants from Farley's mill in Crogan and head home. All secondary roads( Rt.8 and Rt.12) and the ride was stressful.

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: Posco] #7329105
08/13/21 10:34 AM
08/13/21 10:34 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Posco
Hauling logs is dangerous. In all kinds of ways. It should pay good.

Those guys are some of the most aggressive drivers on the road. Is there any such thing as criminal threatening by motor vehicle? There should be. I had one of the worst encounters with a truck driver I've ever had just yesterday. Odd given the timing of this thread and my previous comments.

You think it’s dangerous now, Wait until the illegal migrants get their CDL. Just watch Highway thru (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), or Rescue 401.

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7329746
08/14/21 07:34 AM
08/14/21 07:34 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Hours of Service are a big one. Once the truck has been started a driver has 14 hours then it must be shut off or parked. Sometime in the first eight hours a driver must take a half hour break. A driver cant drive more than 11 of those hours. All time spent loading unloading inspecting the truck must be logged. a driver can only use 70 hours in any eight consecutive days or 60 hours in 7 days depending on the carriers choice. That's not just driving hours but working hours. Including a part time job at home. A drivers whole life must be accounted for. Every day of every year including vacations.

That seems reasonable to non drivers. They have never hit Chicago at 4 PM and need to run I94 to the other side. Used to be able to just park and go to bed for 3-4 hours, get up and make your load. Today you must choose. Shut down for ten hours or waste 4 hours driving what can done in one hour. The computer forces the truck to stop for ten hours but it doesn't mean the driver will rest. Go to one of those big truck stops on the outskirts of Chicago/Milwaukee/ Gary/Joliet or any other big metroploitan area and listen to channel 19. A knothead will be a knothead if you put 17 computers in his truck,

Some drivers are ignorant and dangerous. That will always be true. Carriers used to try not to hire those guys. Now with electronic babysitters they don't care. Anybody who can pass a drug screen and physical can be run through 80 hours of training and put in a truck. Companies hire guys the state certifies to give the test. They have their own schools. Everybody passes. Everybody.

Carriers lie. Boldface flat out lie. They will also take advantage of rookie ignorance. A biggie is sign on bonus. Nobody is handing a driver a ten thousand dollar check when they get under the steering wheel the first day. They string it out over a year or so. Its just wages. When that year is up if the driver is smart enough to demand another ten grand over the next year plus a per mile increase he will get it. They dont tell the rookie he better learn how to live on ArbysMcDonaldsSubwayChurchesFriedChicken and roller dogs cause thats where they will be forced to stop. If they are lucky. If not interstate rest areas, and ramps, warehouse parking lots. Keep rolls of quarters for vending machine meals of candy bars and huneybuns. Lots of baggies and trash bags for your trash can cause that will often be your toilet. Taking that with you till you get to a trashcan can be odiferous. Carry baby wipes cause some days, no matter what, your not getting a shower.

FMCSA. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Feds. Lowlifes and scum. Office managers who make the rules and have never spent a single night in a sleeper. Get a ticket for a light not working, (any light even a dome light) and its points off your license now. No matter that lights only go out when turned on, that all your lights were working when you checked this morning, Its on your FMCSA score for three years. Go 5 minutes over your 11 hours cause an accident backed up traffic and there is no where to park when your time is up, no matter. Pay a fine and get points. Run out of hours 15 minutes from home after 3 weeks on the road. No matter. Pay a fine and get your points. Get enough points and license is pulled. Points will also raise your insurance cost. May cost you your job.

Per mile pay scale. Its a biggie when your wondering why you see so much rude and aggressive driving by truckers. Spending 3 hours in a traffic jam to go 14 miles pays the same as 12 minutes down a rural interstate. drivers are racing that onboard computer the entire time they are under the steering wheel. That is their money time. Per mile pay/ limited by computer driving time, no matter road conditions or anything else.

There IS good money to be made. Not as a rookie though. Rookie almost always work for big carriers and what I described is their life. When someone says start at 60,000 what they don't say is 34 hours a week is tops for home time and cost for living in a truck, if your careful, will be 12 to 14 thousand a year. Its not hard to start a job at 20 an hour around here. Only work 40 hours a week, ( not 70) come home every day, and effectively put the same amount of money in your pocket.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7329760
08/14/21 07:59 AM
08/14/21 07:59 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Pike River everybody needing a load hauled says x per mile. You need to ignore that. Find out the amount they are willing to pay. (its ALWAYS negotiable unless your leased to a company) If its a 640 mile load they will call it 550. Experience is expensive. The cost for 300 miles down I80 in Nebraska is cheaper than 50 miles on I95 in Jersey. With todays costs, 2 bucks a mile to the truck, for actual miles, is about the minimum you should accept. There is no such thing as a backhaul. If your not making money with your truck dont let somebody else make money with it.

The construction work I am doing now pays by the hour often and sometimes by the ton. Again, experiance is expensive when your learning how to negotiate and how much you need.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7329783
08/14/21 08:46 AM
08/14/21 08:46 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
That is a good analysis of the industry, Danny.
My dad and uncles were truckers their entire careers, and loved the job. They all retired about the time the on board big brother came into being. They knew what was about to happen to the industry.

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7329802
08/14/21 09:22 AM
08/14/21 09:22 AM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
drove several years 50 years ago give or take truckers was clean cut guys like the bandit boots lot of cow boy type hats guys were proud to be truckers not now know some that coudnt pass there cdl class a test a few years ago went to a place in missourri for 200 dollars guarnteed a license

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7329853
08/14/21 10:49 AM
08/14/21 10:49 AM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
WOW

you laid it all out, I had no idea it was so bad!

Hours of Service are a big one. Once the truck has been started a driver has 14 hours then it must be shut off or parked. Sometime in the first eight hours a driver must take a half hour break. A driver cant drive more than 11 of those hours. All time spent loading unloading inspecting the truck must be logged. a driver can only use 70 hours in any eight consecutive days or 60 hours in 7 days depending on the carriers choice. That's not just driving hours but working hours. Including a part time job at home. A drivers whole life must be accounted for. Every day of every year including vacations.

That seems reasonable to non drivers. They have never hit Chicago at 4 PM and need to run I94 to the other side. Used to be able to just park and go to bed for 3-4 hours, get up and make your load. Today you must choose. Shut down for ten hours or waste 4 hours driving what can done in one hour. The computer forces the truck to stop for ten hours but it doesn't mean the driver will rest. Go to one of those big truck stops on the outskirts of Chicago/Milwaukee/ Gary/Joliet or any other big metroploitan area and listen to channel 19. A knothead will be a knothead if you put 17 computers in his truck,

Some drivers are ignorant and dangerous. That will always be true. Carriers used to try not to hire those guys. Now with electronic babysitters they don't care. Anybody who can pass a drug screen and physical can be run through 80 hours of training and put in a truck. Companies hire guys the state certifies to give the test. They have their own schools. Everybody passes. Everybody.

Carriers lie. Boldface flat out lie. They will also take advantage of rookie ignorance. A biggie is sign on bonus. Nobody is handing a driver a ten thousand dollar check when they get under the steering wheel the first day. They string it out over a year or so. Its just wages. When that year is up if the driver is smart enough to demand another ten grand over the next year plus a per mile increase he will get it. They dont tell the rookie he better learn how to live on ArbysMcDonaldsSubwayChurchesFriedChicken and roller dogs cause thats where they will be forced to stop. If they are lucky. If not interstate rest areas, and ramps, warehouse parking lots. Keep rolls of quarters for vending machine meals of candy bars and huneybuns. Lots of baggies and trash bags for your trash can cause that will often be your toilet. Taking that with you till you get to a trashcan can be odiferous. Carry baby wipes cause some days, no matter what, your not getting a shower.

FMCSA. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Feds. Lowlifes and scum. Office managers who make the rules and have never spent a single night in a sleeper. Get a ticket for a light not working, (any light even a dome light) and its points off your license now. No matter that lights only go out when turned on, that all your lights were working when you checked this morning, Its on your FMCSA score for three years. Go 5 minutes over your 11 hours cause an accident backed up traffic and there is no where to park when your time is up, no matter. Pay a fine and get points. Run out of hours 15 minutes from home after 3 weeks on the road. No matter. Pay a fine and get your points. Get enough points and license is pulled. Points will also raise your insurance cost. May cost you your job.

Per mile pay scale. Its a biggie when your wondering why you see so much rude and aggressive driving by truckers. Spending 3 hours in a traffic jam to go 14 miles pays the same as 12 minutes down a rural interstate. drivers are racing that onboard computer the entire time they are under the steering wheel. That is their money time. Per mile pay/ limited by computer driving time, no matter road conditions or anything else.

There IS good money to be made. Not as a rookie though. Rookie almost always work for big carriers and what I described is their life. When someone says start at 60,000 what they don't say is 34 hours a week is tops for home time and cost for living in a truck, if your careful, will be 12 to 14 thousand a year. Its not hard to start a job at 20 an hour around here. Only work 40 hours a week, ( not 70) come home every day, and effectively put the same amount of money in your pocket.

Re: Truck driver shortage [Re: danny clifton] #7329898
08/14/21 12:17 PM
08/14/21 12:17 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
Thanks for the info Danny, eye opening