No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331093
08/15/21 06:59 PM
08/15/21 06:59 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Guy tracked 10 the weekend before he found mine. Mine was the fourth he'd tracked that day and his dad called while tracking mine with 2 more to do that night. He left my place at 7 in the evening. The first guy I called said he could do it and would get there around midnight or later. They said if conditions are good on a hard hit deer they had found them up to 3 days later if dog has good nose. He found one on his property accidentally 5 days after rifle season that someone shot with a rifle.

Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331096
08/15/21 07:02 PM
08/15/21 07:02 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I know for a fact that dog tracked my deer over other deer tracks and some where a lot fresher and he never had a problem nor was ever intrested in the other deer

Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331100
08/15/21 07:10 PM
08/15/21 07:10 PM
Newton, Illinois
Coonyote Offline
trapper
Coonyote  Offline
trapper

Newton, Illinois
Pretty sure a shot deer puts off a stressed scent. I've heard that the handlers of well experienced dogs can tell pretty quick if the dog will find the deer or not. By the dogs actions and interest.

Re: Blood tracking [Re: charles] #7331112
08/15/21 07:27 PM
08/15/21 07:27 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by charles
If you train a blood dog, I think it would be best to never take it with you to the deer stand. The reason is, a dog inside a deer stand must be taught not to growl or bark when you see deer. When it is time to retrieve, you want the dog to bark when it finds the deer. I think my dog thought she was not supposed to ever bark at a deer.

My dog did not work from a leash.

Well trained dogs know what's up. The routinely lay quietly under a stand then track and bark enthusiastically on a track.
Further, well trained blood tracking dogs never chase unwounded deer. Routine to trash break on healthy deer and blood track with the same dog.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331115
08/15/21 07:31 PM
08/15/21 07:31 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
This guy is the real deal:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4nFcgK2KL_dQHeeqI8oN4A/videos

Every dog has enough nose to blood track. Not all have the temperament to be good at it.

-Edmund Burke
-Ayn Rand
Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331137
08/15/21 07:54 PM
08/15/21 07:54 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
True that, I've seen GrNiCh x GrNiCh pups not worth the bullet.

[Linked Image]
Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331487
08/16/21 07:10 AM
08/16/21 07:10 AM
Central IL
P
Page Offline
trapper
Page  Offline
trapper
P

Central IL
I'm actually picking up a Ladner BMC on the 28th for just this reason. From what I have read most dogs can be trained to do this. Here you have to keep them on a leash. Look at United Blood Trackers. See if there are any in your area and give then a call. It's my understanding that a lot of guys do this for free but tips are encouraged. Do some digging online, there is a lot of good info out there

Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331549
08/16/21 08:52 AM
08/16/21 08:52 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by warrior

That last about baying up a deer that would have survived. I've seen deer with scars, missing legs, etc as testament to just how much that can survive. Makes me wonder where the line lies in recovery and hunting.

But I also fully believe a dog can tell as they have incredible noses and can read and understand things by smell that we will never understand.

one year we shot 3 deer oepning day of gun deer

one had been hit a month or more erlier the front right knee was the side of a softball that shoulder all yellow and small

another running full out on the bone of it's right rear , the hoof was flopping around attached by the tendon and a little hide only

3rd was a buck broken front left just below the joint it was hobbling along when my dad dropped it they can definitely live through a lot but non of them had any quantity of blood like you get from organ hit deer

if you have folks with big hunting leases , big money commercial elevated blinds 200 for your services isn't going to be an issue if they want that trophy.
if could be money maker during season if your adc stuff slows down some around that time.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331705
08/16/21 01:53 PM
08/16/21 01:53 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Never found a reason or need for one. Having said that I did take my lab out with me when going back to drag out and he got on the trail and brought us right to it. I was a little surprised as he has never been on a deer before and it seemed like he was just glued to it.

Re: Blood tracking [Re: warrior] #7331711
08/16/21 02:03 PM
08/16/21 02:03 PM
Midland, Michigan
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper
Rusty Axe Camp  Offline
trapper

Midland, Michigan
Saw one in action last fall on a buck my brother shot. Totally amazing. Little dachshund or something. Tracked the deer for a couple miles before we stopped him and declared it a catch and release.

Deer swam a river and the dog picked up the scent on the opposite side after walking the bank. I was impressed.

Check your state rules. Seems each state is different. Here in MI they have to be on a leash and can't bark. Think the owner has to take a course too.

No idea on what they charge. I imagine each area is different.

Erik Johnson
Re: Blood tracking [Re: Yes sir] #7332045
08/16/21 10:01 PM
08/16/21 10:01 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by Yes sir
There's an association for this. I believe Google Blood Tracking Dogs and you should find it. A lot of good information and list of breeds popular for it and information on there personalities.

https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/find-a-tracker/

Notice the map. First time I saw it 3/4 was red (cannot blood track). We've made tremendous strides in the last twenty years.

-Edmund Burke
-Ayn Rand
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread