No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Center Consul or Side Consul #7331955
08/16/21 08:10 PM
08/16/21 08:10 PM
Wakefield, NE.
S
Sanford Otte Offline OP
trapper
Sanford Otte  Offline OP
trapper
S

Wakefield, NE.
I have a Sea Ark MV1860 with a side consul and am looking to go up to a Sea Ark MV2072 but have seen some of the newer boats out now that are going to the center consul. Do any of you out there that have the center consul have any opinions as to why the center consul might be better than the side consul? I have used a jon boat for the last 50+ years and have always had a side consul. Most of my use is on the unchannelized portion of the Missouri river where there are snags and sand bars to look out for while fishing and and running set lines and wondering if using a center consul would give me more of a view ahead?

Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7331977
08/16/21 08:34 PM
08/16/21 08:34 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
side console gives more open floor. In my next boat I'm going to go with a stick-steer and get rid of the console completely. Mine's only a 1751, a little smaller than yours but I want as much open floor as I can get. The only real purpose my center console serves is to give me a place to mount my VHF and chart plotter. I'll find another place for those to get more room.

I do have two side lockers for storage. I won't give those up on the next one.

By the way, Sea Ark is my dream boat. Maybe the next one.

-Ryan
Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7332010
08/16/21 09:10 PM
08/16/21 09:10 PM
IA, WI, ND, IL
M
martyd Offline
trapper
martyd  Offline
trapper
M

IA, WI, ND, IL
How about a front consul ? Always wanted one a 28 ft Jon Boat. Way up in front. Right be behind a short front deck. Might be crazy for wanting one ? MD

Last edited by martyd; 08/16/21 09:10 PM.
Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7332024
08/16/21 09:33 PM
08/16/21 09:33 PM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
Why be a pansy? Get a tiller!

Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7332034
08/16/21 09:50 PM
08/16/21 09:50 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I would also like a far forward console

I have side console and my boat is small

my dads boat is a walk around but it has about 10 feet of deck behind the wheel the way we fish it is primarily trolling planer boards on each side and down riggers.
boards go in a rod holder tower on each side

room behind the wheel is a premium in a boat your trolling.

the way I see it if your boat is very wide center can work but when you only have 72 inches to work with it doesn't leave a lot of room on either side and you put a console in the middle it doesn't leave much to go to each side

if it was farther forward and side you gain a lot more room to fight fish

so if you cruise around like the warden and always have 2 people for docking sure center or if you run vertical jigging with a boat full of people and you want them spread all around center

but if you want room to fish and net and plan to dock and load and unload yourself side

it all depends if you fish and how you fish

how do you fish?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7332043
08/16/21 09:57 PM
08/16/21 09:57 PM
Wakefield, NE.
S
Sanford Otte Offline OP
trapper
Sanford Otte  Offline OP
trapper
S

Wakefield, NE.
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I would also like a far forward console

I have side console and my boat is small

my dads boat is a walk around but it has about 10 feet of deck behind the wheel the way we fish it is primarily trolling planer boards on each side and down riggers.
boards go in a rod holder tower on each side

room behind the wheel is a premium in a boat your trolling.

the way I see it if your boat is very wide center can work but when you only have 72 inches to work with it doesn't leave a lot of room on either side and you put a console in the middle it doesn't leave much to go to each side

if it was farther forward and side you gain a lot more room to fight fish

so if you cruise around like the warden and always have 2 people for docking sure center or if you run vertical jigging with a boat full of people and you want them spread all around center

but if you want room to fish and net and plan to dock and load and unload yourself side

it all depends if you fish and how you fish

how do you fish?

I usually fish by myself, set lines or limb lines and if I am jigging I will sit on a pedestal up front.

Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7332051
08/16/21 10:19 PM
08/16/21 10:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
sounds like you need lots of bow access

seaark puts many of their side consoles very near the rear

being that you need to drive then hop up front to check bank and set lines and go alone

as well as use a bow mount trolling motor and casting deck

I would think starboard side console and give yourself as much room up front to do your stuff

it is also nice to put a big cooler down the port side you can still walk up the middle

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7332449
08/17/21 03:08 PM
08/17/21 03:08 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I've had them all, center, side, side controls with tiller steer, and I've gone to a straight tiller now.
If you need something to hang on to, use a console, otherwise a tiller gives you the most room and unobstructed access to the whole boat, no matter what you do with it...
That's my opinion from a commercial fishing aspect and over 50 years experience....YMMV

Re: Center Consul or Side Consul [Re: Sanford Otte] #7333653
08/18/21 09:47 PM
08/18/21 09:47 PM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD

Front console will beat you to death in choppy water. I run a southern skimmer with center console for both casting and commercial gill netting . Works for me. Our bay gets choppy/ rough at times, I like standing while running .

John

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread