No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) #7336337
08/21/21 11:28 PM
08/21/21 11:28 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline OP
trapper
elkaholic  Offline OP
trapper
E

PA
So I got directed to a site that allows you to search census data, and in some instances immigration papers.

We've been arguing for a while on my wife's side of the family about their grandparents and whether they came over from Italy or were born here. My son had found some stuff out when he visited Ellis Island a few years ago. The one sister kept saying that it wasn't them because the name was spelled differently. blah blah blah.

Well their one cousin found some immigration papers in the process of cleaning out his dads house. So it kind of strengthened the ideas we had about the grandparents immigrating here. My wife then googled sites that allowed searching of family records for free. Ancestry.com can get quite expensive if you need to do an extensive search that is going to take a while.

She came across this site called familysearch.org and handed me the reins. Well 13 hours later I had printed out over 200 documents relating to her grandparents, great grandparents, and even one set of great great grandparents. While it was neat and interesting. I'm glad my sister is doing our moms side of our family. It's much larger and lots of differing immigration dates, boats, and even some of their statuses.

I did do a cursory search of my dads side of the family, but I had very little info to start with, and there were approximately 42 Johns with our last name that all lived within 30 miles of each other in the 1800's. On 2 censuses (1910 and 1920) they had my grandfather lost 2 years. He started out being born in 1900 and by the 1910 census was born in 1902. His birth certificate has him being born in 1899. So we're not exactly sure how old he was.

My eyes are now crossed. I think I might have carpal tunnel from the 30 years of typing I fell like I've done today.

Sad part is... Tomorrow I'll probably wake up and go right back at it.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336354
08/21/21 11:49 PM
08/21/21 11:49 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Familysearch is amazing. It lists more ancestors of mine than I could probably look at, if I did anything else, for the rest of my life. Kudos to the Mormons who built it and offer it's use up for free.

Keith

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336376
08/22/21 12:19 AM
08/22/21 12:19 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline OP
trapper
elkaholic  Offline OP
trapper
E

PA
When I registered I thought it was an odd question when it asked if I was LDS. Then my wife was looking at the info about the site and said it was built by them.

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336384
08/22/21 12:34 AM
08/22/21 12:34 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
They don't advertise or promote themselves for it, but Mormons do a lot of good works that receive little recognition. For instance, they will help anyone who asks prepare and store food.

https://providentliving.churchofjesuschrist.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

They store enough food to support their neighbors too.

Keith

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: KeithC] #7336394
08/22/21 01:35 AM
08/22/21 01:35 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by KeithC
They don't advertise or promote themselves for it, but Mormons do a lot of good works that receive little recognition. For instance, they will help anyone who asks prepare and store food.

https://providentliving.churchofjesuschrist.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

They store enough food to support their neighbors too.

Keith

I don't know about that last statement.

I visited a friends Mormon church when they were putting on some prepper demonstrations and classes way back in the '70s. I remember them giving one lecture on how to appear to be starving yourself when your neighbors come looking for food; it didn't sound too charitable to me.

However, maybe they have "received a new revelation" on the subject in recent years; kind of like how they have received a new revelation that God now says it's okay for them to let Black people join their church.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336448
08/22/21 07:56 AM
08/22/21 07:56 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Elk, you might try state census also. They were typically done in the intervening years between federal census (so on the 5's).

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336460
08/22/21 08:10 AM
08/22/21 08:10 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
I know a very small portion of Mormons and they are all about service to others. That sounds easy but it is more difficult than it appears at times. Jesus is Savior to the world, and we are to serve as modeled by Him. I’ve never gone into much detail with them after that. The business and politics of churches suck.

-Goofy-
Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336479
08/22/21 08:23 AM
08/22/21 08:23 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by elkaholic
When I registered I thought it was an odd question when it asked if I was LDS. Then my wife was looking at the info about the site and said it was built by them.

I just watched a TV show on their Underground fortress where they keep the worlds most advanced Geniology record base. All on microfiche.

They're goal. Is to own records of everyone born in the World ; so the Show said.

Pretty invasive stuff.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336515
08/22/21 09:12 AM
08/22/21 09:12 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
If one is going to stand in for the dead to be baptized then it makes sense then they would need to know who they are standing in for. I was always taught that "Whether a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where it falls, there it will lie".

In my own family we had some members that really got into running the tree. Things worked pretty good until the bull crossed the fence in the night, then every thing below that is off. Which really disheartened a couple of family members which liked to live in the past more than the future.

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336572
08/22/21 10:43 AM
08/22/21 10:43 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Some care about it and some don't. My sister has traced both sides back as far as they go.....all lines......all of their children and all of their names. Has it in book form. But 90% of either side doesn't really care. At least for now. And yes, there have been some gentlemen found hiding in the woodpile.

Knowing what she had to work on and work with, I can only imagine how tough it would be to diagram out the pedigree.....let alone family tree of some of the folks living in the inner cities. Would resemble a field of crabgrass more than a tree.

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336576
08/22/21 10:47 AM
08/22/21 10:47 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Some of the stuff you find you can't even make up......widowed father Sr. and son Jr. married twin sisters and both fathered children. Trying keeping that one straight.

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336579
08/22/21 10:55 AM
08/22/21 10:55 AM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I find family history neat to a extent I can get caught up in it, fortunately I have past family members that have tracked a lot of it now some of the older people they couldn’t find are becoming easier because of computers.

Re: Fell down a rabbit hole (genealogy) [Re: elkaholic] #7336985
08/22/21 07:35 PM
08/22/21 07:35 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline OP
trapper
elkaholic  Offline OP
trapper
E

PA
What's really neat to me is that you can add to your tree if needed. I found that whoever was doing my moms one side stopped at the 2 youngest siblings. I added the other 3. Then added myself and my wife and son.

So far on my moms side I'm back to1845 on her dads side, and 1750 on her moms side. Her dads grandparents, her great grandparents both immigrated here in 1875. So there isn't much to go on.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread