No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338076
08/24/21 12:02 AM
08/24/21 12:02 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Mark June
I just peered onto this path and I swear there's grass covering a big 'ol hole with spikes and such shocked

See also Matthew 15:8 & 1 Cor 1:19 smile

It's fun to dive in deep among others who think a bit differently.
Glad God didn't make all the image bearers the same.
It'd be boring.
Like trapping coyotes that all looked and acted the same.

I thought you liked to dive in, lol?
You can't make me believe catching Wyoming coyotes all just alike would ever be as boring as those Texas yotes, lol.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: yotetrapper30] #7338077
08/24/21 12:06 AM
08/24/21 12:06 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
This is off topic but so is this entire post lol.

What version of the Bible do you all prefer? KJV? I have several various translations. Many of them are QUITE different.

I have always used KJV.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338122
08/24/21 02:41 AM
08/24/21 02:41 AM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Just think of all the children doomed to hades because they couldn’t read Greek or Hebrew.

The Scripture is written in those languages. Your statement is not related to this fact.

You missed the point completely.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Foxpaw] #7338148
08/24/21 05:40 AM
08/24/21 05:40 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
I just peered onto this path and I swear there's grass covering a big 'ol hole with spikes and such shocked

See also Matthew 15:8 & 1 Cor 1:19 smile

It's fun to dive in deep among others who think a bit differently.
Glad God didn't make all the image bearers the same.
It'd be boring.
Like trapping coyotes that all looked and acted the same.

I thought you liked to dive in, lol?
You can't make me believe catching Wyoming coyotes all just alike would ever be as boring as those Texas yotes, lol.

It's the internet and all and I might miss your meaning but your internet comments seem to lean toward you always wanting to declare victory or at least triumph and that's not why I post.
The search for the true meaning of Scripture should be a humble approach to the throne of Father, Son, and Spirit as we marvel at the depth of it all and pray the Spirit to help guide us.
Just trying to clarify why I post on the site dedicated to Charlie, one of my trapping heroes.
Your comments on Reformers and their views to are typically dismissive at best and harsh at worst but historical theology has a seat at the table of exegesis. A major seat.

And yes, as I mentioned, I do enjoy diving deep into the Logos with those who wish to do the same. I don't care to battle like you seem to enjoy.
It's one of the reasons I went to seminary at a ripe older age = I enjoy learning about the greatest book ever written with others.
And as I've mentioned, I'm not inspired, so perhaps pray to God to assist you in your biblical learning.
As a believer, I do every day and this is one of those prayers I respect and use. It's by Thomas A’ Kempis (author of "The Imitation of Christ").

In confidence of Thy goodness and great mercy,
O Lord, I draw near to Thee
As a sick person to the Healer,
As one hungry and thirsty to the Fountain of Life,
A creature to the Creator,
A desolate soul to my own tender Comforter.
Before, in Thee is all whatsoever I can or ought to desire.
Rejoice therefore this day the soul of Thy servant,
For unto Thee, O Lord, have I lifted up my soul. Amen.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Tailhunter] #7338150
08/24/21 05:44 AM
08/24/21 05:44 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Just think of all the children doomed to hades because they couldn’t read Greek or Hebrew.

Sorry I missed the internet context of this post.
I figured it had something to do with language and hades since all the children was your subject.
What's your post's point?

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338216
08/24/21 07:56 AM
08/24/21 07:56 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
I am thinking he was being sarcastic.....internet does make that difficult at times

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338243
08/24/21 08:41 AM
08/24/21 08:41 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
It's the internet and all and I might miss your meaning but your internet comments seem to lean toward you always wanting to declare victory or at least triumph and that's not why I post.

Mark , you are exactly right. I do declare the small victory's in life. I don't do it by buying myself a monument carved out by a professional stone carver. You however don't ever seem to be declaring victory, but instead when you get in a tight spot you continually head to the brush of babel of antique language no one even recognizes anymore. Your too busy playing keep away to even know what the score is !

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338276
08/24/21 09:56 AM
08/24/21 09:56 AM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
I remember a old Christian lady when I was growing up never took medicine not even aspirin. She would read her bible and pray . One time she was in the hospital and she made the doctor and nurses mad because she wouldn't take their pills . She died two days before her 102 nd birthday .

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338277
08/24/21 09:58 AM
08/24/21 09:58 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Interesting discussion.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: mask bandit] #7338279
08/24/21 10:01 AM
08/24/21 10:01 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by mask bandit
I remember a old Christian lady when I was growing up never took medicine not even aspirin. She would read her bible and pray . One time she was in the hospital and she made the doctor and nurses mad because she wouldn't take their pills . She died two days before her 102 nd birthday .

Guess she should have taken the pills.

-Goofy-
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Foxpaw] #7338303
08/24/21 10:47 AM
08/24/21 10:47 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Mark , you are exactly right. I do declare the small victory's in life. I don't do it by buying myself a monument carved out by a professional stone carver. You however don't ever seem to be declaring victory, but instead when you get in a tight spot you continually head to the brush of babel of antique language no one even recognizes anymore. Your too busy playing keep away to even know what the score is !

Most often FP, you're analogies are lost on me. I simply have no idea what you're trying to relay. Not everyone thinks as you do.
To discount the original language of the biblical authors is your choice, but it's not done by any theologian who seeks to find the original intent of God for us to know.
I know why you toss the original language... because you feel less apt to "win" during your biblical exegesis battles.
I don't battle over Scripture because it's been done far too long by far too many prideful people in history. The world doesn't need another.
As I always mention, as I teach others as I have been taught (Greek), I always try to do it as one who isn't Inspired but who may help some see that "you" in English in not "you" in Greek. There are hundreds of these translation hiccups and it helps to know them or you may land on wrong context. And if you read a translation, you have one more layer of interpretation on what you're trying to interpret. Erase layers and get to the meat and potatoes!

Wouldn't you want to learn the original human author's intent? I figure Jesus knew exactly that Greek was the common man's language, and the language of commerce, in the 1st century amide the greatest Empire on earth at that time who spoke Latin and so the Bible was written so most could understand it. Wouldn't have happened with Latin. Or Hebrew. Theologians most often agree that the divine plan of writing and recording in Greek for all Judea, Samaria, and the ends of the earth was providentially planned.

I'll need an eternity to work through the magnificence of God's Word.
Seems you've already landed where you want to be.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338315
08/24/21 11:09 AM
08/24/21 11:09 AM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
If you are sick stay home.

This pandemic and how "christians" have responded speaks volumes about them.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338317
08/24/21 11:11 AM
08/24/21 11:11 AM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
Originally Posted by J Staton
Originally Posted by run
If you are feeling ill , it's probably best to stay home. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to argue with anyone.

True. In the case of this modern church the"potential" of illness bars entry. Would the early church have done the same?

Nope but then again they had no idea how respiratory viruses spread

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338329
08/24/21 11:19 AM
08/24/21 11:19 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois

The only possible reason I would need to know Greek is if I wanted to argue to win my point. I might need that to put on a resume to impress somebody on a presberty board when landing a job. Other than that I think if I was is a jungle and problems came up, I would just point to the red letters.

In the mean time in my small surroundings I just make do with what I have and if I borrow something needed in my situation I try not to lose it. Although iron really will float !

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Foxpaw] #7338346
08/24/21 11:35 AM
08/24/21 11:35 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
The only possible reason I would need to know Greek is if I wanted to argue to win my point.

Basic word studies are important for scripture is based on words. If I want to know what Paul meant by using a particular word, I open my concordance and look up "chosen" or "elect" to see what Greek word Paul used in a particular passage. Study to show thyself approved.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ILcooner] #7338352
08/24/21 11:44 AM
08/24/21 11:44 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by ILcooner

I don't think that anyone is arguing that you should knowingly infect people...rather, should churches be shut down because someone might get sick?
It's a fact of life that when ever people gather, sickness can be shared. But we still go to Walmart. Is church non essential?

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338359
08/24/21 11:54 AM
08/24/21 11:54 AM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
If I child reads the bible and understands salvation and God’s blessings and promises, is he unable to enjoy those because he does not have a full understanding of greek or hebrew?

For that matter are any of us?

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Tailhunter] #7338361
08/24/21 11:57 AM
08/24/21 11:57 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

If I child reads the bible and understands salvation and God’s blessings and promises, is he unable to enjoy those because he does not have a full understanding of greek or hebrew?

For that matter are any of us?

God can’t just make people understand what He wants through their own reading. That’s why He made Pastor’s and such. lol

-Goofy-
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: PAskinner] #7338400
08/24/21 12:38 PM
08/24/21 12:38 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by PAskinner
Originally Posted by ILcooner

I don't think that anyone is arguing that you should knowingly infect people...rather, should churches be shut down because someone might get sick?
It's a fact of life that when ever people gather, sickness can be shared. But we still go to Walmart. Is church non essential?

I actually wish I knew what J was talking about. Was it this, or was it a church trying to mandate vaccines?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338410
08/24/21 12:49 PM
08/24/21 12:49 PM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

YT30 the reason I didn't just spit it out because I was trying to respect the Bossman's no covid threads but yes it's about mandated vaccines. To enter this Atlanta church you must be fully vaccinated. This struck me as if the Pastor, deacons, and parishioners have appointed themselves as High Priest and Priestesses determining by their law who is clean and unclean. Greek or not this just seems oh so wrong. I wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way?

Last edited by J Staton; 08/24/21 12:51 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread