ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver Advice #7335065
08/20/21 03:11 PM
08/20/21 03:11 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline OP
trapper
We-Sa  Offline OP
trapper

Oklahoma
So I was asked to remove the beavers from a shallow creek (<3ft deep) and because one side is bounded by a housing addition I figured I’d better learn to snare ‘em.

I’ve walked about half of the creek I have access to. This creek is bounded by a road (that it crosses) on one side and the housing addition on the other. Not a lot of sign but I did find one track and could smell castor in the same area.

I only made two sets last night, a lured, leaning pole set and submerged a snare and put a dive stick where they can access a slough(?) made during high water/heavy rains.

I need to walk the rest of the creek but this place is a mess, it’s easier to walk in the creek than on the banks. They’re either thick with underbrush or Johnson grass 6-7 ft high.

Here’s the two sets I made last night. Do they look alright?

Here you’re looking towards the main part of the creek with that little slough behind you. There seems to be a hard packed run between the two and my snare is on the slough side right where it drops off.
[Linked Image]

Here is the lured leaning pole set. It’s in the deepest part of the creek that I’ve found so far. I’m pretty short and this area is over my hip waders. I’ve felt around with a cultivator (potato rake) and there’s a run or channel right in the center. This spot is only 30 yds or so upstream from the crossover.
[Linked Image]

Any advice on these two sets would be appreciated.

“I don't know, Chief, if he's very smart or very dumb.”
Capt. Quint
Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7335670
08/21/21 08:50 AM
08/21/21 08:50 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Top picture: Good set location. Can’t see the snare, but as long as it’s setup correctly, it should work.

Second picture: Looks good. I would make sure there aren’t any sticks or roots in the way that would prevent the snare from closing, and then I would put a dab of lure above/near my loop so that they are sure to hit the snare while trying to locate the scent.

Overall, I’d say they look good

Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7336158
08/21/21 07:30 PM
08/21/21 07:30 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline OP
trapper
We-Sa  Offline OP
trapper

Oklahoma
Thanks Aix, and funny you should answer. I built both snare supports to your specs in the vertical drowning rod post. I did add a drowning lock to one of them and used a short (36") snare. I figured if the lock doesn't work and the snares too long the cross piece will work.

I put some castor lure right where the leaning stick meets the tree but so far nothing in either set.

I've been watching the "Beaver Sites and Sets" DVD and am a little worried these may be "educated" beaver.

Capt. Quint
Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7336475
08/22/21 08:19 AM
08/22/21 08:19 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
When I suspect educated beavers, the first step is to put away the castor and don’t bring it back on site. Without a doubt, blind sets are my preferred method for beavers, especially educated beavers, but there are other options when it comes to lure/bait that don’t involve castor. Honey is something I tend to reach for as a change up.

The good news is that you’re not dealing with much water, and that means blind sets are going to be easier to find. You can use these same snare setups without lure, just be a little more selective where you make your sets, and you’ll be fine.

Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7336631
08/22/21 12:03 PM
08/22/21 12:03 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline OP
trapper
We-Sa  Offline OP
trapper

Oklahoma
I would have never thought of honey. We have some of those little packets that should be just the right amount and easy to carry. I have some kind of food lire (Woodchipper?) made by that Dobbins guy ( wink ) I thought I might try.

I walked further downstream this morning and finally found some clear sign of beaver.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It’s not much but it’s definitive and fresh. From here to the bridge where my trapping privileges end the water is too deep to wade which means drowning rods/wire/cable will work but I can’t get to this area along the bank.,

This is looking upstream (West). The peeled sticks were 75-100 yds past the tree line. I think I better break out the kayak…

eek

[Linked Image]

Capt. Quint
Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7336671
08/22/21 01:09 PM
08/22/21 01:09 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I like a smear of Paul's Beaver Plus up above sets where I am trying to get the beaver to swim into a snare. Have had good success with it on leaning pole sets or snares hung off a partially submerged log.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7336726
08/22/21 02:21 PM
08/22/21 02:21 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I second QuietButDeadly’s recommendation of Beaver Plus. It is a rock solid lure choice for beaver work.

I use raw honey. It seems as though just about everything has at least some interest in honey, from beavers to coons to people....what doesn’t like honey? Coyotes probably even like the stuff.

Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7336910
08/22/21 06:11 PM
08/22/21 06:11 PM
Arkansas
F
Flattail1961 Offline
trapper
Flattail1961  Offline
trapper
F

Arkansas
Get some sac oil and give it a try.

Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7338656
08/24/21 06:27 PM
08/24/21 06:27 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Beaver Plus and a cage trap
Sure thing

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Beaver Advice [Re: We-Sa] #7338862
08/24/21 09:36 PM
08/24/21 09:36 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline OP
trapper
We-Sa  Offline OP
trapper

Oklahoma
Sounds like I need to get some Beaver Plus. I probably can't get it here before I go back out so I might put it one lured set with a dab of honey and some peeled sticks.

Capt. Quint
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread