No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
First contact #7346467
09/03/21 01:16 AM
09/03/21 01:16 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Suppose an alien spacecraft arrived and communicated peaceful intentions. How would it affect your life?

How would it affect our society? The geopolitical establishments?

Your religious faith? Or your belief in God?

Would some people call them demons?

I think our whole society could collapse. And that it would affect the faith of many: how could we still claim to be the pinnacle of God's creation?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346468
09/03/21 01:20 AM
09/03/21 01:20 AM
The Panhandle of Alaska
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

The Panhandle of Alaska
I would hand you over and call it good. They wouldn’t bother to return.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346472
09/03/21 01:39 AM
09/03/21 01:39 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
There used to be a fellowship among Alaskan forum members here, but over recent years I've noticed the nastiness on this forum has increased. So I suppose the demise of the Alaskan fellowship was inevitable.

Mike you couldn't do what you say. Trust me on this.

But what do you think about my first contact questions?

I'm interested in others' input because I'm working on a SF story with this theme. I think we'd see a recreation of the first contacts between Europeans, with their advance technology, and the Amerindians. What happened to the Indians' culture and society?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346476
09/03/21 02:02 AM
09/03/21 02:02 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
If the aliens are advanced enough to get here, they are advanced enough to go to a multitude of lifeless planets to glean resources from, with no hassles. For your story to work there would have to be something specific on Earth they can't easily obtain elsewhere. They otherwise would have to be so advanced and different they don't even notice humans, which make a less interesting story. Digging the dirt the worms live in doesn't make a good read.

I think most people would quickly adapt to aliens and that religions would change to incorporate them, so they could continue to control people.

You could have the aliens convince people they are gods to get what they want.

For aliens to work in science fiction, they have to be fairly human like to hold the attention of the readers. Just like the gods.

Keith

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346477
09/03/21 02:14 AM
09/03/21 02:14 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Id pour it a whiskey. Id have a couple with it. When it was getting relaxed id act like i was pouring it another and slip it in a rear naked choke. Skinny neck, fat head, it couldnt escape. Then id drag it in a parachute like will smith in independence day to the white house to joe and kamala. Id explain to them this is how u handle aliens. Then id punch them both in the face.

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346480
09/03/21 03:04 AM
09/03/21 03:04 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
It wouldn't affect my faith
I've never believed out of all God's creation including the cosmos that we were the only sentient beings
Or that other world's don't have some kind of life
I grew up in a Lutheran Church and don't remember them teaching us that we were the "pinnacle" of God's creation
We were taught what happened on this planet during our time
I don't demonize much except people's action. Peaceful is peaceful
As far as our society collapsing because an alien appeared and announced peaceful intentions I can't see that happening. Why would you think so?

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346482
09/03/21 03:17 AM
09/03/21 03:17 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Suppose the aliens have really advanced technology--stuff like quantum computers, cold fusion, graviton generators, android labor, and things we can't understand.

And what if the aliens brought new drugs, some of which have intensely pleasurable on humans. Millions of people thrown out of work, their culture on the ropes, and nothing to do with their time but turn to drugs. (Boredom is one of the prime motivators for drug abuse.) Sticking with my Amerindian analogy, the alien drugs are the analog of the drug alcohol brought by Europeans. What a devastating effect alcohol has had on Indian family and culture!

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346483
09/03/21 04:10 AM
09/03/21 04:10 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Is recreational Marijuana legal in Alaska now? "Took a trip and never left the farm!"

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: First contact [Re: KeithC] #7346484
09/03/21 04:43 AM
09/03/21 04:43 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by KeithC
If the aliens are advanced enough to get here, they are advanced enough to go to a multitude of lifeless planets to glean resources from, with no hassles. For your story to work there would have to be something specific on Earth they can't easily obtain elsewhere. They otherwise would have to be so advanced and different they don't even notice humans, which make a less interesting story. Digging the dirt the worms live in doesn't make a good read.

I think most people would quickly adapt to aliens and that religions would change to incorporate them, so they could continue to control people.

You could have the aliens convince people they are gods to get what they want.

For aliens to work in science fiction, they have to be fairly human like to hold the attention of the readers. Just like the gods.

Keith

They come here seeking to study us and learn of a new, intelligent species.... But its a ploy... They are really here to reap slave labor.

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346488
09/03/21 04:57 AM
09/03/21 04:57 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Doubt people would just accept them right off, people on this world are naturally apprehensive about other life.

Would be questions about them, where from, how did the get here, how long did it take to do so, stuff like that.

Guess it really depends on how they introduce them selves to begin with, if they arrive in a force that seems militaryish, things would probably be real touch and go, if they show up with flowing robes and gifts, people would probably be holding their hands out as most do any way.

Can't see it being the end of our world unless they come in firing away, think most believe Aliens are either good or bad, nothing in between. It's a forgone conclusion that they would be so far advanced from us that there is no comparison to our culture, hence the want to be info we would request to be able to join the ability to explore and either be peaceful explorers, or come down demanding.

Depending on the religion that those here practice would probably set the tone for acceptance or termination of us or we try to take them out, can't see taking them out right away, who knows how they think, can think or are thinking without experiencing some time with them.

After all they came for one reason or another, which one is the question, isn't it ?

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346494
09/03/21 05:24 AM
09/03/21 05:24 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Aren’t you supposed to be fishing?

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: First contact [Re: 8117 Steve R] #7346495
09/03/21 05:27 AM
09/03/21 05:27 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
Aren’t you supposed to be fishing?

He is.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346496
09/03/21 05:41 AM
09/03/21 05:41 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Maybe the purpose of the visit would be to decide if humans should be allowed to continue with space exploration. Are humans going to evolve away from being creatures who prey on each other? Who continue use one another out of greed and a desire to control, into a peace loving species. If the decision is humans will never let go of their primitive need to dominate, then they must be destroyed before advances in human technology make it much harder for space travelers to protect their selves from an ever increasingly parasitic species.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346499
09/03/21 05:52 AM
09/03/21 05:52 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Aliens would have been created by God as well. The whole universe.
Indians aren't the only ones devastated by alcohol. Whites are too if anyone believes white lives matter.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346513
09/03/21 06:33 AM
09/03/21 06:33 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by James
Suppose an alien spacecraft arrived and communicated peaceful intentions. How would it affect your life?

How would it affect our society? The geopolitical establishments?

Your religious faith? Or your belief in God?

Would some people call them demons?

I think our whole society could collapse. And that it would affect the faith of many: how could we still claim to be the pinnacle of God's creation?

Jim

Good morning James.
Suppose, suppose, suppose.
You're looking at this absolutely, positively, unconditionally backwards.
Faith seeking understanding is understandable yet understanding seeking faith is impossible. I invite you to read Origen, Justin, and Augustine on this.
Or better yet, Jesus.
The Bible is clear that the heavens and earth were created by God, humans are created in His image, and all of it has a divine purpose. For heaven and earth.

I'd argue that angels and demons are real because the spiritual realm is routinely (yet with mystery.... which is different than myth. Mystery means there are things we cannot know and myth means its fabricated) described all throughout Scripture, but I doubt they'll show up in the starship Enterprise.
Angelology is a church doctrine and it's fascinating. Not Sci-fi.

I think you make a fatal error. You lump the God of the Bible too often to all other faiths with their gods who people can't figure out, and who because they are fickle and prone to rage, cause followers to live in constant fear. That IS NOT the God of the Bible, who sent his only Son to die for you and me, and them and theirs. That's love undefinable.

When any of the pagan fertility, climate, animal, or satanic Baals send their only anybody to die for anybody who worships them.... and there are millions still today, then let's talk aliens and suppose, suppose, suppose.
Until then read the Word which is heart transforming.
Your mind's already filled up.

Prayers for your family,
Blessings,
Mark

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346517
09/03/21 06:48 AM
09/03/21 06:48 AM
PA
L
Lab Offline
trapper
Lab  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Twilight Zone - To Serve Man - It's a cookbook They would keep us fat and happy cause content animals are better to eat than a stressed animal LOL

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346533
09/03/21 07:12 AM
09/03/21 07:12 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
SSS

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346543
09/03/21 07:38 AM
09/03/21 07:38 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
A large portion of society would have a new shiny spacecraft to worship and would follow every word proclaimed by the wise aliens. It would probably shore up the Faith of many others.

I had almost talked myself out of wasting money on a .50 cal. Thanks James. Now I am wondering if I do actually need one to fight off space invaders.

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346547
09/03/21 07:41 AM
09/03/21 07:41 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
They would say "Take me to your leader", I would , and they would say " Dont be reedicoussss".

Re: First contact [Re: James] #7346549
09/03/21 07:43 AM
09/03/21 07:43 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
From now on stay away from the bong.