No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: Providence Farm] #7349585
09/07/21 07:36 AM
09/07/21 07:36 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
My wife is teaching ours. Benefits of homeschooling.

Same here

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349609
09/07/21 08:21 AM
09/07/21 08:21 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
I don't wear a watch or any jewelry. All because of my lifelong welding habit, the two don't mix. It ruins watches and rings are very dangerous to wear. But I can tell time.....it was taught at an early age in grade school. I can't believe all the things society see's as old fashioned! There will come a time in the future, we as a people will regret we made such stupid decisions. The brain is plenty big enough to learn both our history and about computers and such!t

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349623
09/07/21 08:47 AM
09/07/21 08:47 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
The Boy's teacher this year (5th grade) won't accept any work that is not in cursive. First day of school he sent home a packet of information for the parents that had several different studies showing the benefits of writing over printing. It was quite interesting.

What was quite interesting Trap Setter? Is this a public school? An individual teacher's plan?

The article was quite interesting and informative. It said the studies showed learning cursive and using it improved understanding of a topic as well as retention of material taught. Yes it is public school and yes it is the teachers plan as the other 5th grade teacher dosen't teach it. His teacher is "old school conservative" refuses to teach modern race theory and has a strong US history background. He is very set in his ways, a strict teacher but refuses to tell the kids his personal political views but likes discussing theirs as they are just starting to understand and explore their world views.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349624
09/07/21 08:48 AM
09/07/21 08:48 AM
Midland, Michigan
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper
Rusty Axe Camp  Offline
trapper

Midland, Michigan
My daughter learned it in elementary school here in MI.

While I also like to complain about changing times, when is the last time any of you sat down and scrolled out something in cursive?

Erik Johnson
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349652
09/07/21 09:37 AM
09/07/21 09:37 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Our school teaches it a little but there are more important things they need taught too. Whenever people bad mouth schools for not teaching crap that is important to them, they fail to realize there are only so many hours in a day, and these days there are higher priorities than cursive. What would you have them cut to make room to teach something that is basically obsolete in the world? They can translate any documents in seconds on their phone FCOL. It's not the schools failing, in most cases it's the parents! You want your kid to learn cursive, put down your phone, computer, video game controller, remote or even your bible and teach them.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349661
09/07/21 10:05 AM
09/07/21 10:05 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Cursive?

I had to un-learn it when I got learned how to be an engineer. The language of engineering is the drawing. All hand lettered back then in all capital letters, everyone using the exact same font. Obviously, the goal is never to have any character misunderstood. Yeah, even signatures were often printed and verified with an embossed stamp.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349663
09/07/21 10:13 AM
09/07/21 10:13 AM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.
If one does not know Cursive , How do they sign their name or read another signature

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349668
09/07/21 10:26 AM
09/07/21 10:26 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
My daughter is homeschooled through a charter school. Her teacher requires her students to learn it, so my little one is learning it.

My wife said she would make her learn it even if it wasn't required.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: mole] #7349670
09/07/21 10:30 AM
09/07/21 10:30 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by mole
If one does not know Cursive , How do they sign their name or read another signature
I don't know the current plans; but:
Originally Posted by T-Rex
Yeah, even signatures were often printed and verified with an embossed stamp

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349671
09/07/21 10:39 AM
09/07/21 10:39 AM
MN
S
Seek Offline
trapper
Seek  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Unfortunately, cursive is no longer a basic life skill. A basic skill now days is downloading apps and keeping up on social media. I can't/won't do either. I have received several invitations and Thank you's from recent hs grads. The new "Thank You" is a picture of the kid that says "Thank You". Nothing written, no personalization. I blame the parents as it is just a cop out for both kids and parents to not take the time and write a 3 sentence thank you for the cash they received. Its a joke. Modern day parents are wimps and very few hold their kids accountable for anything.

Several of these invitations had the stamp in the upper left corner. Another example of how kids, graduating HS Seniors, are lacking basic life skills. Sad.

Last edited by Seek; 09/07/21 10:42 AM.
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: Seek] #7349681
09/07/21 11:08 AM
09/07/21 11:08 AM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
I haven't communicated in cursive for years, other than a signature. I guess I disagree with a lot of you regarding its value in today's society. When my 16-year-old daughter was in grade school, attending a private Christian school, she spent hours and hours honing her cursive skills. I wondered how much her teachers actually wrote in cursive themselves. I'm aware of the studies that claim other benefits other than cursive handwriting that supposedly occur from cursive handwriting. I would propose those benefits could be achieved by plenty of other activities as well.

My daughter homeschools now and it is the greatest thing ever for her. It affords us time to teach skills we feel they don't adequately get in schools, such as entrepreneurship, the American Dream as we see it, the power of positive thought, discovering and pursuing personal passions, personal finance and investing, etc. Gym class can be horseback riding or personal defense. We can even include handgun defense in that. But I sure as heck don't ever ask her to write in cursive!

We now winter in the horse country of Florida. During our stay there, our daughter can attend as many classes at the College of Central Florida as she wants. She takes full credit classes and her tuition, materials, and books are all free because she is a "dual enrollment" student. In other words, because she is a homeschooler. She can take classes all day. I'm sure other colleges around the country have similar programs. It is a game-changer for homeschooling. I encourage anyone with homeschooled kids to look into that.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7349684
09/07/21 11:11 AM
09/07/21 11:11 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Our grandson is going to a christian school and he is learning cursive.

Our Grandson too.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349685
09/07/21 11:12 AM
09/07/21 11:12 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
My kids are both older so I have no idea what schools here teach now. Got a niece teaching 4th grade guess ask here next time see her. Really not sure what my daughter does. I know my 37 year old son prints and is easier to read that than his writing.
I as a student struggled to write decent at least according to my teachers..Looking at my writing now I do pretty good compared to most. My wife was taught by Nuns so her writing is actually artistic.
I know when I was in high school I took typing class. I really only wanted to learn the key board. So much of the grade was based on speed and spelling words per minute. Every time I typed at the rate teacher wanted I had so many type-oos. So that class for me was a D grade as I recall.
I do believe learning key board and using the computer and spell check, grammar check has made me a better speller.

I had a guy worked with used to mess with me signing my time slip. Guy would put an X on time card on line where supervisor thought he should sign. It didn't matter I checked with secretary.. I'd see the X sign my name on time card on line by X. Supervisor come with card hand it to me with the line whited out make me sign on line above..We drove him nuts with that for couple months until he blew valve chew my arse.. Don't ever what see that again!! I of course said sorry didn't look just signed by X like do documents at bank..
Anyway after he blew up.. I changed the way I sign my name so that there is now an X as first letter.. When supervisor tried to call me on it. I just told him was a tribute to my blood brother and Asian friend, who's last name is Xiong.

The End

Mac :-)

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: Gene Dziza] #7349690
09/07/21 11:22 AM
09/07/21 11:22 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
I haven't communicated in cursive for years, other than a signature. I guess I disagree with a lot of you regarding its value in today's society. When my 16-year-old daughter was in grade school, attending a private Christian school, she spent hours and hours honing her cursive skills. I wondered how much her teachers actually wrote in cursive themselves. I'm aware of the studies that claim other benefits other than cursive handwriting that supposedly occur from cursive handwriting. I would propose those benefits could be achieved by plenty of other activities as well.

My daughter homeschools now and it is the greatest thing ever for her. It affords us time to teach skills we feel they don't adequately get in schools, such as entrepreneurship, the American Dream as we see it, the power of positive thought, discovering and pursuing personal passions, personal finance and investing, etc. Gym class can be horseback riding or personal defense. We can even include handgun defense in that. But I sure as heck don't ever ask her to write in cursive!

We now winter in the horse country of Florida. During our stay there, our daughter can attend as many classes at the College of Central Florida as she wants. She takes full credit classes and her tuition, materials, and books are all free because she is a "dual enrollment" student. In other words, because she is a homeschooler. She can take classes all day. I'm sure other colleges around the country have similar programs. It is a game-changer for homeschooling. I encourage anyone with homeschooled kids to look into that.

For me. cursive is much more useful for note taking if you're taking extensive notes during lectures, demos...anyone remember shorthand? I never used shorthand but my mom still has a bunch of old shorthand and medical shorthand books. Hard to write fast in block lettering. Of course you do need to write in a way that you can still read at least read every other word lol.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349692
09/07/21 11:25 AM
09/07/21 11:25 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
The school my granddaughter goes to still teaches cursive.

Eh...wot?

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ~ADC~] #7349702
09/07/21 11:35 AM
09/07/21 11:35 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Our school teaches it a little but there are more important things they need taught too. Whenever people bad mouth schools for not teaching crap that is important to them, they fail to realize there are only so many hours in a day, and these days there are higher priorities than cursive. What would you have them cut to make room to teach something that is basically obsolete in the world? They can translate any documents in seconds on their phone FCOL. It's not the schools failing, in most cases it's the parents! You want your kid to learn cursive, put down your phone, computer, video game controller, remote or even your bible and teach them.

More are doing just that by pulling their kids out of public schools and home schooling as our kids are doing or enrolling them in private schools like a popular one here, a Mennonite school.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349710
09/07/21 11:40 AM
09/07/21 11:40 AM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
I don't want to hijack the subject, but I am a HUGE advocate of quality trade school education at the high school level. Teach a kid to be a plumber or electrician, along with some entrepreneurial training to give them some thoughts on self-employment, and you are giving a kid a huge leg up. Not every kid is going to go to college. I do not believe public high schools in general, put enough emphasis on vocational training.

My high school diploma never provided any benefit to me, but my trade school education provided me with a lot of opportunities.

Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: ] #7349720
09/07/21 12:05 PM
09/07/21 12:05 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
When on the computer, everything is in print form. There are some software that you can use what looks like cursive.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: T-Rex] #7349741
09/07/21 12:30 PM
09/07/21 12:30 PM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Online content
trapper
Scott__aR  Online Content
trapper

Wisconsin
They don't teach it in schools here, at least not when my kids went to school.

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Cursive?

I had to un-learn it when I got learned how to be an engineer. The language of engineering is the drawing. All hand lettered back then in all capital letters, everyone using the exact same font. Obviously, the goal is never to have any character misunderstood. Yeah, even signatures were often printed and verified with an embossed stamp.

X2

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Anybody's kids learning cursive? [Re: hippie] #7349765
09/07/21 01:23 PM
09/07/21 01:23 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by hippie
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

More are doing just that by pulling their kids out of public schools and home schooling as our kids are doing or enrolling them in private schools like a popular one here, a Mennonite school.

Depending on the school, that could be a good or bad thing. There are a lot of important life skills that can be learned in school that are missed out on at home (no one will ever convince me different),,,, but if someone is in a bad district it may not be worthwhile.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread