No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Furnace blower fan? #7349711
09/07/21 11:43 AM
09/07/21 11:43 AM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline OP
trapper
shanemoss  Offline OP
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
I got a call that the air condition was making horrible sounds so I ask her to trip the breaker till I got here this morning. When I turned it on, it sounded like the fan so I took it out. The set screw holding the fan on the motor shaft was loose. I centered the blade up, tightened the screw with thread loc, and put it back together. It made no sound spinning by hand before I put it back together.

When I turned it back on, it came on fine but making a loud humming noise. Ran a few minutes, then slowed to a complete stop and just humming? It spins free by hand still. If it didn't start at all, I would think capacitor. Would it still start with a bad capacitor? Could it be the motor burned up? Anything else it could be? I'm trying to find a new blower fan with no luck locally. If it could be the capacitor, I could get one today. If anything else, I'd have to order it. If the motor is bad and shuts off from over heating, would it still hum? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Furnace blower fan? [Re: shanemoss] #7349730
09/07/21 12:17 PM
09/07/21 12:17 PM
venango county,pennslyvania
minklessinpa Offline
trapper
minklessinpa  Offline
trapper

venango county,pennslyvania
id say capacitor.

life member Pennsylvania trappers
life member vfw
member fta
Re: Furnace blower fan? [Re: shanemoss] #7349733
09/07/21 12:18 PM
09/07/21 12:18 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
Still could be a capacitor. Is the noise gone now that you tightened the set screw? Yes sometimes they will hum if they are in overload. The motor will normally be hot to the tough. They can start without the capacitor.but a lot of times they won't come up to full speed.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Furnace blower fan? [Re: shanemoss] #7349763
09/07/21 01:22 PM
09/07/21 01:22 PM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline OP
trapper
shanemoss  Offline OP
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
Once I tightened the set screw, it stopped the rattle but not the hum. I think it's the motor now. Useing the panel safety switch, I could press it to power up and watch it. Soon as it gets power, the loud hum starts and fan slowly builds speed. Runs for a minute or so and slowly comes to a stop loud humming all the time. When it stops, it sounds like the motor is obstructed somehow and burning up? I couldn't find any parts and I'm supposed to be heading to Alabama so I called a hvac guy. I let you know what he says when I hear from him. Thanks folks

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Furnace blower fan? [Re: shanemoss] #7349775
09/07/21 01:41 PM
09/07/21 01:41 PM
New York 20yrs
I
iwantacoyote Offline
trapper
iwantacoyote  Offline
trapper
I

New York 20yrs
I'm a NATE certified HVAC Service technician. There could be a number of things here.
To me from your description. I think you have a bad motor.
Anytime you replace a motor you should replace the capacitor.

I think the shaft on the motor is loose causing wheel to wobble. Witch will
Over time loosen the screws. You may be dealing any number of electrical
Issues in the motor making it stop running. The wobble could also be caused by
A deformed blower wheel as well but I would recommend starting with the
motor and capacitor.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread