No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Climate Change Lies #7350670
09/08/21 06:38 PM
09/08/21 06:38 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline OP
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline OP
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
I heard a news clip where the greenies and the leader of the free world stated that hurricanes today are more numerous and more deadly than ever in the past because of climate change caused by man. These people as well as the ones trying to rewrite history are certified nuts.

Well just for the record:

On Sept. 8, 1900, a massive hurricane destroyed nearly a third of the city of Galveston, Texas; approximately 7,000 people died in the storm.

On September 14th, 1919 only after a day’s warning, a category 3 storm thrashed South Texas, with heavy rains and high storm surge. Tides washed away nearly 23 blocks of homes in Corpus Christi, Texas. In the aftermath, 284 bodies were pulled from the city.
[Linked Image]

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350678
09/08/21 06:45 PM
09/08/21 06:45 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
If there are any monuments to commemorate those storms they must be removed. They do not fit today's narrative.

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350687
09/08/21 06:59 PM
09/08/21 06:59 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

https://www.investors.com/politics/...admits-real-motive-behind-warming-scare/

from the article:

"If they were honest, the climate alarmists would admit that they are not working feverishly to hold down global temperatures -- they would acknowledge that they are instead consumed with the goal of holding down capitalism and establishing a global welfare state.

Have doubts? Then listen to the words of former United Nations climate official Ottmar Edenhofer:

"One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with the environmental policy anymore, with problems such as deforestation or the ozone hole," said Edenhofer, who co-chaired the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change working group on Mitigation of Climate Change from 2008 to 2015."

Last edited by white marlin; 09/08/21 07:25 PM.
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350692
09/08/21 07:12 PM
09/08/21 07:12 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
While I don't buy into all the climate change political motivations. The truth seems to be the climate is changing. I don't pretend to know why but I am sure the extra taxes and most regulations will have no effect. That being said the death toll from storms over 100 years ago is not a good matrix for determining strength of the storms. Now I have not researched those storms or this last one and I am just pointing out the ill advised method the OP used to argue against any climate change.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350699
09/08/21 07:17 PM
09/08/21 07:17 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Not a very fair comparison to the Galveston Hurricane. Keep in mind there was no TV, no Radio, almost no phone systems to warn people and that detection equipment like satellites, airplanes, and radar hadn't been invented yet. A perfect Cat. 5 storm blew up on them with no warning.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350700
09/08/21 07:22 PM
09/08/21 07:22 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Both sides (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) science and disregard common sense in support of their political agendas.

Last edited by Blaine County; 09/08/21 07:24 PM. Reason: I used a word that starts with a W and rhymes with boar. Sorry.
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Green Bay] #7350703
09/08/21 07:28 PM
09/08/21 07:28 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by Green Bay
Not a very fair comparison to the Galveston Hurricane. Keep in mind there was no TV, no Radio, almost no phone systems to warn people and that detection equipment like satellites, airplanes, and radar hadn't been invented yet. A perfect Cat. 5 storm blew up on them with no warning.

It’s also not fair to compare today to then because all the storms we can see because of satellites and radar that they had no idea were far out at in the Atlantic. It goes both ways.

The 30’s were far worse than anything we have seen since as far as hurricanes go

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350707
09/08/21 07:32 PM
09/08/21 07:32 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Climate near as I can tell has been changing as far back as we can look with fossils

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350713
09/08/21 07:35 PM
09/08/21 07:35 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe, not to say that there were never severe or numerous hurricanes in the past. You can take this information to the bank. I lived on an NC barrier island for 15 years and before that served in the Coast Guard on the Outer Banks for 27 years. Sea Level is getting higher, the land is moving and eroding, forests are being killed by saltwater, homes and highways are being washed away, and inlets are filling and moving. Building codes are far more strenuous than ever before, yet storms continue to destroy property. These changes have not been subtle, but the changes are accelerating dramatically. Severe storms are occurring every year now instead of once per decade as in my childhood. I will be 75 next month so I've seen a few hurricanes in NC. I expect the same conditions have been experienced along the Texas Gulf Coast.

I wish it wasn't so.

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Trap Setter] #7350715
09/08/21 07:37 PM
09/08/21 07:37 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
While I don't buy into all the climate change political motivations. The truth seems to be the climate is changing. I don't pretend to know why but I am sure the extra taxes and most regulations will have no effect. That being said the death toll from storms over 100 years ago is not a good matrix for determining strength of the storms. Now I have not researched those storms or this last one and I am just pointing out the ill advised method the OP used to argue against any climate change.

It's called weather, been happening for thousands of years.

[Linked Image]
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350719
09/08/21 07:39 PM
09/08/21 07:39 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Online content
trapper
SGT. C  Online Content
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Man can not compete against mother nature. She will always win in the end. Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350722
09/08/21 07:40 PM
09/08/21 07:40 PM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
Yep...the sky is falling !!!

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Trap Setter] #7350726
09/08/21 07:45 PM
09/08/21 07:45 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline OP
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline OP
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country

Please read what I posted. I never said the climate is not changing. The climate has been changing since the beginning of time and as long as records have been kept.
I do not buy in to the theory that storms are more numerous or more intense because of man.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: charles] #7350730
09/08/21 07:47 PM
09/08/21 07:47 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by charles
Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe...I wish it wasn't so.

it isn't...

"Existing records of past Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane numbers (1878 to present) in fact do show a pronounced upward trend, which is also correlated with rising SSTs (e.g., see blue curve in Fig. 4 or Vecchi and Knutson 2008). However, the density of reporting ship traffic over the Atlantic was relatively sparse during the early decades of this record, such that if storms from the modern era (post 1965) had hypothetically occurred during those earlier decades, a substantial number of storms would likely not have been directly observed by the ship-based “observing network of opportunity.” We find that, after adjusting for such an estimated number of missing storms, there remains just a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. Statistical tests indicate that this trend is not significantly distinguishable from zero (Figure 2)."

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

Last edited by white marlin; 09/08/21 07:48 PM.
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: charles] #7350736
09/08/21 07:51 PM
09/08/21 07:51 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline OP
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline OP
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe, not to say that there were never severe or numerous hurricanes in the past. You can take this information to the bank. I lived on an NC barrier island for 15 years and before that served in the Coast Guard on the Outer Banks for 27 years. Sea Level is getting higher, the land is moving and eroding, forests are being killed by saltwater, homes and highways are being washed away, and inlets are filling and moving. Building codes are far more strenuous than ever before, yet storms continue to destroy property. These changes have not been subtle, but the changes are accelerating dramatically. Severe storms are occurring every year now instead of once per decade as in my childhood. I will be 75 next month so I've seen a few hurricanes in NC. I expect the same conditions have been experienced along the Texas Gulf Coast.

I wish it wasn't so.

Well I have a few years on you so I don't buy into your theory. You have just described evolution that is not caused by man.
If it is that bad in NC, why don't you move ?

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350738
09/08/21 07:56 PM
09/08/21 07:56 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline OP
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline OP
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
This is from a study done this year by the Science News:

There aren't more of the storms now than there were roughly 150 years ago, a study suggests. ... Iota's rapid intensification may be linked to global warming, but a 150-year record of Atlantic hurricanes suggests no long-term trend in storm frequency.

I am gonna go and try to kill some hogs that are causing damage to my property.

Or, maybe I should just try to hang around long enough for the climate change to get rid of them.LOL

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: charles] #7350744
09/08/21 07:58 PM
09/08/21 07:58 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio

I wish it wasn't so.

The foolish man builds his house on sand...we have a lot of fools along the Gulf and eastern seaboard.

Joe Bastardi is a good follow on Twitter if you have it and also watch his Saturday Summary on weatherbell.com. He goes through a lot of history of storms and weather...which is why himself and the weatherbell team forecasts are more accurate then most because they actually pay attention to history and know what it means.

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: white marlin] #7350752
09/08/21 08:10 PM
09/08/21 08:10 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by white marlin
Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe...I wish it wasn't so.

it isn't...

"Existing records of past Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane numbers (1878 to present) in fact do show a pronounced upward trend, which is also correlated with rising SSTs (e.g., see blue curve in Fig. 4 or Vecchi and Knutson 2008). However, the density of reporting ship traffic over the Atlantic was relatively sparse during the early decades of this record, such that if storms from the modern era (post 1965) had hypothetically occurred during those earlier decades, a substantial number of storms would likely not have been directly observed by the ship-based “observing network of opportunity.” We find that, after adjusting for such an estimated number of missing storms, there remains just a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. Statistical tests indicate that this trend is not significantly distinguishable from zero (Figure 2)."

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

143 years worth of records vs how many thousands of years is statistically insignificant.

[Linked Image]
Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350757
09/08/21 08:13 PM
09/08/21 08:13 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

agree.

but it's twice as good as 75 years.

Re: Climate Change Lies [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7350759
09/08/21 08:14 PM
09/08/21 08:14 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

Please read what I posted. I never said the climate is not changing. The climate has been changing since the beginning of time and as long as records have been kept.
I do not buy in to the theory that storms are more numerous or more intense because of man.

I guess we are in agreement then.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread