No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Owning a business is fun [Re: yousowise] #7351027
09/09/21 05:59 AM
09/09/21 05:59 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by yousowise
Our local hospitals fired all the nurses and dr.s who didn’t get the covid vaccine. Now they’re all “full” a self inflicted problem.

Staffing issues can be a big issue depending on choices. That’s not the only reason around here though. I know I sent one patient to the ED for respiratory distress. He was trached and on a ventilator. I followed his hospital stay and he spent three nights in the ER before he was discharged home on hospice. He never even made it to a hospital bed. When I’ve spoke with those ER physicians they constantly have 10-15 ER patients waiting for beds on the floor (essentially someone to die or get discharged).

I spoke with a floor nurse that passed out during her shift. Was found to have a kidney stone, received fluids, and had to go back to her shift. She said they’re so short you are either dying or you aren’t and you go to work. So it can go both ways. If you’re young and ambitious now would be a heck of a time to get into the medical field. Can make some serious money in a short time. I’m done with the 60-80 hour work weeks myself.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Owning a business is fun [Re: Trapper7] #7351039
09/09/21 06:37 AM
09/09/21 06:37 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by Lugnut
It's wonderful. You get to pay into Unemployment Compensation but are not eligible to collect a dime. It's basically work or starve for you while many live off of what you pay in. You get to match your employees SS deductions but will never see a dime of those contributions.

When first starting out you get to work 12-16 hours a day and act as boss, labor, secretary, bookkeeper, regional sales guy and estimator.

Seriously though, I enjoy it and wouldn't trade it for anything I can think of.

All of that's true, even the last sentence.

What about workmens comp? My self employed employer said he was paying it .....50 percent,,,,,,well yea technichally he was paying it but the way I saw it was money he could have paid me.....or at least split with me. I never made a claim and yes- I did get hurt many times....just not bad or long enough to make a claim......hard for me to explain but felt I got ripped off by workmens comp many times over and I was just on payroll at that time.

Re: Owning a business is fun [Re: WadeRyan] #7351109
09/09/21 08:35 AM
09/09/21 08:35 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Workers Comp is the worst. I have been audited several times. It's the main reason I scaled way back on the amount of employees I used to have and now use sub-contractors for a lot of jobs.

Lugnut. your talk of using "contractors" made me smile. I had at least 5 newspaper routes in my life, off and on, from age 12 to probably 34. When delivering papers was mostly a kid thing, there wasn't any real talk of being a "contractor", although technically it probably was already true at that time. But when I had the 4th and certainly the 5th paper route, all the carriers were adults, and many "full-timers" were doing multiple routes to make even modest coin. The largest newspaper in South Dakota treated all their carriers as "contractors" and thus paid no benefits or any employee payroll tax for them. The editorial staff were always some of the most liberal people in this state. I wonder if they ever thought about making their carriers, who usually drove old, well worn or semi-broken down cars, "contractors" ever crossed their minds...? Probably not, most are hypocrites when if comes to coin. "Do as I say, not as I do"...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Owning a business is fun [Re: WadeRyan] #7351143
09/09/21 09:13 AM
09/09/21 09:13 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I remember tagging along on my uncle's paper route when I was a kid. His son was recruited to help him during the summer. We'd leave a 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and pick up stacks of newspapers. My cousins job was to tightly roll the papers and sling them out the car windows onto the porches as my uncle drove by. Bonus points for banging one off an aluminum storm door! LOL

Many construction companies, even the larger ones, in my area have gone the subcontractor route due to the exorbitant cost of carrying workers comp and the annoying practices of the providers.

My subcontractors have to provide proof of liability insurance with my company named as additional insured which I keep on file.

Eh...wot?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread