No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Christians be aware #7352032
09/10/21 08:28 AM
09/10/21 08:28 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
That religion has been used to justify evil and all manner of craziness. For example here in the U.S. to enslave Africans. In order to salve their conscience, American slavers convinced themselves it was ordained by the same creator that gave them unalienable rights. For example these passages. I will leave you to their "correct interpretation" but they show a glimpse of what I am talking about.

When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, he said, “Cursed be Canaan; lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers.” He also said, “Blessed by the Lord my God be Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. (Genesis 9:24-27)

As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness. (Leviticus 25:44-46

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.(Ephesians 6:5-9)

There is lots more but you get the idea. Today, generally speaking, parts of the bible are ignored and never talked about in most churchs. Justification for forcing the virgins of a conquered people to marry soldiers while the rest of their tribe, including male babies are killed. Incest . All can be justified by people using the bible.

So be aware. Dont let yourself be led down a path no good will ever come of. Ancient people had a lot of strange beliefs and practices. So did and do, a LOT of modern people. all using religion to justify their claims.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352039
09/10/21 08:37 AM
09/10/21 08:37 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Did you ever consider you might be a slave and not realize it? I pray for you on occasion. The Lord would rather deal with an antagonist than a lukewarm sinner. I ain't giving up on you.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: Posco] #7352045
09/10/21 08:49 AM
09/10/21 08:49 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Posco
Did you ever consider you might be a slave and not realize it? I pray for you on occasion. The Lord would rather deal with an antagonist than a lukewarm sinner. I ain't giving up on you.

Here is the real caution to Christians.... a “reprobate mind” means to have no authenticity or to be in an invalid relationship with God, and particularly with Jesus Christ. This is where some of these antagonists around here are at. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352052
09/10/21 08:54 AM
09/10/21 08:54 AM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Danny, you seem to have a skewed knowledge of history. One that falls right in line with the current trend of CRT. crazy

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement!
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352060
09/10/21 08:58 AM
09/10/21 08:58 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Orthodox Christians would be the first to say we're all sinners.

Thankfully there is divine revelation so we can sift through the lies to land on God's Truth for us.
Not human truth dressed up and gussied up to pose as truth that is as old as mankind.
Not sure the theme of this post but Isaiah 6 comes to mind.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352072
09/10/21 09:10 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Jwill, so tell me how slavery was justified by the Christians who practiced it. Did they believe it was sin and just pray for forgiveness every Sunday, or did they think it was ordained by God? And if they believed it was ordained by God, why is that no longer taught and is in fact unconstitutional today?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352073
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Hmmmm. A fish swimming in the water is a fish until it shows you what kind of fish it is.

-Goofy-
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352079
09/10/21 09:13 AM
09/10/21 09:13 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I agree with Mark June. We're all sinners. I'm definitely one for sure.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352088
09/10/21 09:17 AM
09/10/21 09:17 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
If I'm reading this right, I agree with the OP's thesis.

We are walking on thin ice when we use God's word in order to justify any particular action, if we look into God's word and just pick out the pieces to support our particular bias, yet ignore the context or the rest of the things the Bible has to say.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352093
09/10/21 09:21 AM
09/10/21 09:21 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

We orthodox Christians all realize sinful things have been done "in the name of the Lord," and they're wrong, so what's the point of this post?
Humankind has always tried to elevate humanity and minimize God.
If you're going to post examples of sinful people, were gonna need more bandwidth.

It all remains foolishness to the unregenerate.
Just as God tells us.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians be aware [Re: waggler] #7352094
09/10/21 09:22 AM
09/10/21 09:22 AM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Originally Posted by waggler

We are walking on thin ice when we use God's word in order to justify any particular action, if we look into God's word and just pick out the pieces to support our particular bias, yet ignore the context or the rest of the things the Bible has to say.

Actually, this is exactly what the OP is doing. he pulls history into the present and makes a judgement based on that. He does it to support his own bias and ignores historical context.

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement!
Re: Christians be aware [Re: LLtrapper] #7352097
09/10/21 09:23 AM
09/10/21 09:23 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Here is the real caution to Christians.... a “reprobate mind” means to have no authenticity or to be in an invalid relationship with God, and particularly with Jesus Christ. This is where some of these antagonists around here are at. LLL

I committed this to memory about three decades ago.

There is a time, I know not when,
A place, I know not where,
Which marks the destiny of men
To Heaven or despair.

There is a line by us not seen,
Which crosses every path;
The hidden boundary between
God's patience and His wrath.

To cross that limit is to die,
To die, as if by stealth.
It may not pale the beaming eye,
Nor quench the glowing health.

The conscience may be still at ease,
The Spirit light and gay.
That which is pleasing still may please
And care be thrust away.

But on that forehead God hath set
Indelibly a mark,
By man unseen, for man as yet
Is blind and in the dark.

And still the doomed man's path below
May bloom like Eden bloomed.
He did not, does not, will not know,
Now feel that he is doomed.

He feels, he sees that all is well,
His every fear is calmed.
He lives, he dies, he wakes in (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman),
Not only doomed, but (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

Oh, where is that mysterious bourn,
By which each path is crossed,
Beyond which God Himself hath sworn
That he who goes is lost?

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352107
09/10/21 09:32 AM
09/10/21 09:32 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep Waggler.

Jwill you dont get out of hard questions that easy. attacking me doesnt change that this is a valid question. Nothing out of context.

How was slavery was justified by the Christians who practiced it? Did they believe it was sin and just pray for forgiveness every Sunday, or did they think it was ordained by God? And if they believed it was ordained by God, why is that no longer taught and is in fact unconstitutional today?

A LOT of evil is done in the name of christianity still today.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: waggler] #7352109
09/10/21 09:33 AM
09/10/21 09:33 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by waggler

Agree 100% with your 2nd part.
But we're naive to think the spiritual warfare doesn't deceive still today.
I would argue the battle is ramping up and we'll see more false teachers until it ends with one main false lord upon the earth, who will gather the nations together against God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God.

They don't win, BUT many will follow.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352112
09/10/21 09:34 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
danny, your beef is with human nature.

ALL religions (including human secularism) suffer from the same malady...human nature.

what I find interesting is why you (and James!) only attribute these failings to just one of the world's religions.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352114
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
so what's the point of this post

the point is just what I wrote. BE AWARE. Just cause a used car salesman puts a Cross and a couple bible quotes on the wall doesn't mean he is trustworthy. In fact its most times just the opposite.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352115
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline
trapper
P

Michigan
I know I may be repeating everyone else, but worded a little different. For it is human nature to justify sin, no matter what it is. Just look at the world today, with everything that's going on. Everyone(mostly) thinking that they are in the right and anyone who doesn't agree with them are in the wrong. I don't remember the book or verse, but I think I recall Paul or the actual Christ saying that "we shall know them by their fruits" and/or "All seemeth right unto man but the latter end is destruction". I know it probably isn't what it actually says but you get the point.

Sure some misguided Christians did do some terrible stuff and tried to justify it. But you can also say that with literally any belief system period in the world.

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:3
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352118
09/10/21 09:35 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Yep Waggler.

Jwill you dont get out of hard questions that easy. attacking me doesnt change that this is a valid question. Nothing out of context.

How was slavery was justified by the Christians who practiced it? Did they believe it was sin and just pray for forgiveness every Sunday, or did they think it was ordained by God? And if they believed it was ordained by God, why is that no longer taught and is in fact unconstitutional today?

A LOT of evil is done in the name of christianity still today.

That is acknowledged by most orthodox Christians. I am at one of the noted non-denominational seminaries worldwide and it's confessed all the time.
You can't make people not do what people want to do?

What's your point?

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352119
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline
trapper
P

Michigan
Looks like I was a little late. Lol

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:3
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352122
09/10/21 09:36 AM
09/10/21 09:36 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by danny clifton
so what's the point of this post

the point is just what I wrote. BE AWARE. Just cause a used car salesman puts a Cross and a couple bible quotes on the wall doesn't mean he is trustworthy. In fact its most times just the opposite.

Why do the unbelievers tell the believers how to believe and what to believe in?
That's my question.

Like a non-trapper telling a trapper how to trap.
Oh boy, here comes the mail whistle

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread