No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352805
09/10/21 10:47 PM
09/10/21 10:47 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
Interesting thread, and lots of thoughts. Would like to address the original post and then maybe add a few thoughts of my own.

The first example of text with Noah- Genesis is a historical book, recounting a history. I don't see a command or insinuation that slavery was ok in the text, just a telling of events that happened. But you asked, so why is it in the Bible? Not sure, but will submit a hypothesis... Prophecy- the Bible is full of it. Why? it builds faith. So if an early manuscript has a passage where Noah curses the son of his son that shamed him and that grandson's descendants settled in the land of Canaan and became Canaanites, and then the land of Canaan was given to the Israelites, the descendants of Shem hundreds of years later and recorded in other texts, the greatest skeptics should be asking themselves why, and if that's true what else is true? All the way up to and including the claims that Jesus made about himself.

2nd text from Leviticus- whats the context? God is laying down the rules for how His Holy people should treat each other. It wasn't supposed to work. (It would take a long time) but these rules were meant to demonstrate people's need for Jesus. That a nation of moral rules fails(sound familiar?)... ultimately forcing people to recognize their need for a different way. Jesus The fact that its a rule that we find distasteful can probably be explained by looking at another passage Matthew 19- Jesus teaching about divorce. What was his answer for why divorce was allowed? Because their hearts were hard. Do I think that slavery was God's plan?-No but I believe he was creating laws that pushed on people's sensibilities where they were at(remember their hearts were hard) while he worked out his master plan and laid the framework for sending his Son.

3rd text from Ephesians I think this text describes a modern employee/employer relationship as much as it does a slave/master relationship in its historical context. The verse actually includes a warning against the mistreatment of slaves.

Permit me to add my own thoughts, What is a Christian? Was Noah a Christian? Was Jesus a Christian? Is a Christian someone who has a relationship with Jesus or just someone that just goes to church on Sunday or someone who carries the title to pander to a constituency for votes, or someone that checks a box on a census? For someone to say that they won't join Christianity because some people that called themselves Christians condoned slavery is really a poor argument. Why not renounce American citizenship next time something immoral happens that you don't agree with. Its a silly statement that only the Hollywood elite sometimes threaten but never carry out. Not picking on anybody, it was a long time ago but I didn't want to be called a Christian because of all the hypocrisy I saw in the church. I got over myself. Read Matt 13:24-30 parable of the weeds. God knew there was going to be hypocrites and people that looked like the real thing or said the right things but were not really were not. He's already committed to taking care of it later.

So if slavery isn't the real reason you aren't becoming a Christian then what is? Only you and God know but let me encourage you to think about some things that God has been speaking to me about lately. Eternity. Our 70 or 80 year life is a blink in eternity. Our time on earth is so short, and then comes eternity where we spend in Heaven or (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) based on the decisions we made while we were here. 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

God's giving you a chance and given you many chances because he loves you and sent his son to die for you!

Sorry for the length.

Bob Jansma
Re: Christians be aware [Re: bjansma] #7352816
09/10/21 10:58 PM
09/10/21 10:58 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by bjansma
Interesting thread, and lots of thoughts. Would like to address the original post and then maybe add a few thoughts of my own.

The first example of text with Noah- Genesis is a historical book, recounting a history. I don't see a command or insinuation that slavery was ok in the text, just a telling of events that happened. But you asked, so why is it in the Bible? Not sure, but will submit a hypothesis... Prophecy- the Bible is full of it. Why? it builds faith. So if an early manuscript has a passage where Noah curses the son of his son that shamed him and that grandson's descendants settled in the land of Canaan and became Canaanites, and then the land of Canaan was given to the Israelites, the descendants of Shem hundreds of years later and recorded in other texts, the greatest skeptics should be asking themselves why, and if that's true what else is true? All the way up to and including the claims that Jesus made about himself.

2nd text from Leviticus- whats the context? God is laying down the rules for how His Holy people should treat each other. It wasn't supposed to work. (It would take a long time) but these rules were meant to demonstrate people's need for Jesus. That a nation of moral rules fails(sound familiar?)... ultimately forcing people to recognize their need for a different way. Jesus The fact that its a rule that we find distasteful can probably be explained by looking at another passage Matthew 19- Jesus teaching about divorce. What was his answer for why divorce was allowed? Because their hearts were hard. Do I think that slavery was God's plan?-No but I believe he was creating laws that pushed on people's sensibilities where they were at(remember their hearts were hard) while he worked out his master plan and laid the framework for sending his Son.

3rd text from Ephesians I think this text describes a modern employee/employer relationship as much as it does a slave/master relationship in its historical context. The verse actually includes a warning against the mistreatment of slaves.

Permit me to add my own thoughts, What is a Christian? Was Noah a Christian? Was Jesus a Christian? Is a Christian someone who has a relationship with Jesus or just someone that just goes to church on Sunday or someone who carries the title to pander to a constituency for votes, or someone that checks a box on a census? For someone to say that they won't join Christianity because some people that called themselves Christians condoned slavery is really a poor argument. Why not renounce American citizenship next time something immoral happens that you don't agree with. Its a silly statement that only the Hollywood elite sometimes threaten but never carry out. Not picking on anybody, it was a long time ago but I didn't want to be called a Christian because of all the hypocrisy I saw in the church. I got over myself. Read Matt 13:24-30 parable of the weeds. God knew there was going to be hypocrites and people that looked like the real thing or said the right things but were not really were not. He's already committed to taking care of it later.

So if slavery isn't the real reason you aren't becoming a Christian then what is? Only you and God know but let me encourage you to think about some things that God has been speaking to me about lately. Eternity. Our 70 or 80 year life is a blink in eternity. Our time on earth is so short, and then comes eternity where we spend in Heaven or (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) based on the decisions we made while we were here. 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

God's giving you a chance and given you many chances because he loves you and sent his son to die for you!

Sorry for the length.

Very good post. If you ain't a preacher you should ought to be. smile

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352820
09/10/21 11:06 PM
09/10/21 11:06 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Very good post indeed.
Thanks Bob.
Bob's been a Tman'er quite some time actually.
He's a literal dominion over the birds, fish, and creepy things kind of guy.

grin

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352823
09/10/21 11:09 PM
09/10/21 11:09 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Some just can't be helped.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352828
09/10/21 11:16 PM
09/10/21 11:16 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Well I am personally done throwing pearl to swine.

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352843
09/10/21 11:38 PM
09/10/21 11:38 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

So, the day is coming when Christians in America will be persecuted and suffer for our faith. It's rapidly approaching.
It is the sincere view of many conservative theology and military minds who have spoken to us here at chapel in the last three years.

America will, much like the current medical crisis and impending mandates, begin to reign in the Christian religious, because that is the world's historical tract.
The aberrant religions offer multiple gods and governmental dictators can allow that.
They can not tolerate One God of the Heavens and Earth however.

And posts like were posted here at the top of this thread will be the theme of those who, in the name of freedom, will oppress Christians.
Just like happened with the quickest shut down of human freedoms in human history which occurred during the pandemic. It happened in less than a month. All the earth was involved including the USA. IN the name of safety they shut the world down.
Impossible they had said. No way! Not in America! But, it happened here faster than the slums if India and it happened that fast in all the 1st world nations (but one). In less than a month.
Not much resistance because the foundation base boards were built over time by those dedicated to the demise of individual freedom, born of one religion and one religion only. Christianity.

There has only ever been one human resurrection in history so the other religions are free to come and go. Evil does not recognize them and even encourages people to join them. Evil pays them no mind because they are no threat to evil.
Christians on the other hand, stand firmly against the nature of evil, and are thankful to have hope no matter what tomorrow brings in a world who claims there is no meaning to this life.
We in America have been immeasurably blessed to avoid much of what the world witnesses. But the wind brings new ideas from smart people and these new ideas, which are actually 2,000 year old ideas, include persecution of the followers of Christ.

Maybe it's good people who have good intentions who will start all this in the name of protecting freedoms. Lies are always baked into sweet pies.
But no matter, persecution rapidly approaches and the words of Hebrews, and James will become even more impactful in the years to come.

It won't be by bullets. Or bombs. Or any manner of armaments.
It'll be the country's people themselves who post "helpful" posts as they call for the freedom to persecute others and chant to have their ears tickled.
And it will happen as it is written.
So be it Lord.

By Your Grace we await the return of Your Son.
Our blessed hope.

Blessings to the saints,
Mark

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7352957
09/11/21 08:43 AM
09/11/21 08:43 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Danny -

I did not read all the preceding pages - but please know - I am still praying for you as I have told you the last few years. It is good to see others are as well now also. I know my Creator and know that He will continue to work within you. He is still standing there for you with arms open wide, willing to share His love with you. He cares more for you than you can ever comprehend. I can not answer all your questions and don't try to defend my Lord with you all the time. I am confident He is working on you and I just want you to know - there are others out there that truly care about you more than you will ever know and our Jesus died for you. Even if you were alone - He would have laid his life down for you Danny. That is how great His love is for you. He stands at the door of your heart and is knocking patiently........I pray some day you answer His sweet calling.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353058
09/11/21 11:40 AM
09/11/21 11:40 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
"So, the day is coming when Christians in America will be persecuted and suffer for our faith. It's rapidly approaching.
It is the sincere view of many conservative theology and military minds who have spoken to us here at chapel in the last three years."

Your persecution complex diminishes the sacrifice of those who really were martyred for their faith.

Please give specific examples of how Christians are persecuted in modern America.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Christians be aware [Re: James] #7353077
09/11/21 12:08 PM
09/11/21 12:08 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by James
"So, the day is coming when Christians in America will be persecuted and suffer for our faith. It's rapidly approaching.
It is the sincere view of many conservative theology and military minds who have spoken to us here at chapel in the last three years."

Your persecution complex diminishes the sacrifice of those who really were martyred for their faith.

Please give specific examples of how Christians are persecuted in modern America.

Jim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland_Springs_church_shooting

Re: Christians be aware [Re: James] #7353079
09/11/21 12:12 PM
09/11/21 12:12 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by James

Jim

I suppose you won't consider this persecution.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wir...refusing-gender-transition-cake-76616998

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353084
09/11/21 12:20 PM
09/11/21 12:20 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
James won't consider the burning of churches either. Christians persecution is not a new thing. Christians will survive, here and now, or the hereafter. I just hope I am there.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353098
09/11/21 12:52 PM
09/11/21 12:52 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Lets keep the facts straight sorry all those people died but he said he shot the place up because he was mad at his mother in law not Christians.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: rex123] #7353110
09/11/21 01:09 PM
09/11/21 01:09 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by rex123
Lets keep the facts straight sorry all those people died but he said he shot the place up because he was mad at his mother in law not Christians.

So his anger at his mother-in-law had nothing to d o with her Christian faith or stance that affected his marriage? You know this?

Sure seem like he could have just as easily had his shooting at his mother-in-laws residence instead of her church. Couldn't be the mother-in-law and church could be supporting his wife to lead a Christian life or even leave an abusive relationship. There is a reason he chose to shoot up the church not her house or a restaurant or her job.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: Providence Farm] #7353115
09/11/21 01:17 PM
09/11/21 01:17 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

So his anger at his mother-in-law had nothing to d o with her Christian faith or stance that affected his marriage? You know this?

Sure seem like he could have just as easily had his shooting at his mother-in-laws residence instead of her church. Couldn't be the mother-in-law and church could be supporting his wife to lead a Christian life or even leave an abusive relationship. There is a reason he chose to shoot up the church not her house or a restaurant or her job.

In the weeks leading up to the shooting, he also railed against Christianity on social media, stating he was an atheist and that anyone who believed in Christianity was stupid. But yeah, sure it was just coincidental that he shot up a church.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353116
09/11/21 01:18 PM
09/11/21 01:18 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
IT was in the article bowhunter posted read it. Look at countries where thousands are killed for their faith and thrown in prison and you guys say America compares to that. REALLY? Stop trying to make out you are in danger for having faith in GOD. Sorry but we in this country have know idea.

Last edited by rex123; 09/11/21 01:20 PM.
Re: Christians be aware [Re: rex123] #7353117
09/11/21 01:19 PM
09/11/21 01:19 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

IT was in the article bowhunter posted read it. Look at countries where thousands are killed for their faith and thrown in prison and you guys say America compares to that. REALLY?

That's not at all what I said. I haven't read through the posts.

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353121
09/11/21 01:31 PM
09/11/21 01:31 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Christians are increasingly becoming maligned in this country, that's the precursor to persecution. Leftists will see to it.

Last edited by Posco; 09/11/21 01:38 PM. Reason: Lousy proofreading.
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353135
09/11/21 02:04 PM
09/11/21 02:04 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Not saying it doesn't happen here but on such a small scale as compared to the rest of the world it is really a stretch to call it persecution.

Last edited by rex123; 09/11/21 02:04 PM.
Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353152
09/11/21 02:43 PM
09/11/21 02:43 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

You have a perspective on the gravity and scale of Christian persecution worldwide, so if you'd dig deeper into that we'd be appreciative of reading your experience. Have you ministered?
Studies here at the most diverse non-denominational seminary in the world with students from 90 nations, has me listening to all sorts of stories about other countries.

Agreed, believers are not persecuted here like most of the world, but you must know history repeats and the precursor to persecution is typically exclusion. In China, and in North Korea, and in so many countries, first comes exclusion.... and then the impetus to persecute. Always in the name of "the People." Has a nice ring to it and it sells well... "the People." Ask Chinese commoners how "the People" worked out, especially "the People's Liberation Army." Real nice ring to it.

We believers are not persecuted to any large measure in our land as freedoms are diminishing with each generation. But we have been dismissed and even despised in the power centers of this nation.
We'll see where it ends up.

Hitler came to power in 1933 and within weeks mandated "new" church elections in Christian churches across Germany. As you might imagine, "new" elected officials were installed in these churches all across the land (Hitler used the church for politic gain - imagine that) and thus began what we don't learn about in history class >>>>> that Hitler systematically tore his nation apart from the top down and bottom up. Read Dietrich Bonhoeffer's persecution and martyrdom and you'll get a taste how quickly an evil power can overtake a nation. Two days after Hitler took power, Bonhoeffer was physically stopped on air by SS troops and he was hung at a concentration camp. Those who killed for Hitler had oaths "Pledging loyalty to him alone" and "Obedience unto death."
What Bonhoeffer called "Stupid People."

Re: Christians be aware [Re: danny clifton] #7353164
09/11/21 03:04 PM
09/11/21 03:04 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by danny clifton
That religion has been used to justify evil and all manner of craziness. For example here in the U.S. to enslave Africans. In order to salve their conscience, American slavers convinced themselves it was ordained by the same creator that gave them unalienable rights. For example these passages. I will leave you to their "correct interpretation" but they show a glimpse of what I am talking about.

When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, he said, “Cursed be Canaan; lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers.” He also said, “Blessed by the Lord my God be Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. (Genesis 9:24-27)

As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness. (Leviticus 25:44-46

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.(Ephesians 6:5-9)

There is lots more but you get the idea. Today, generally speaking, parts of the bible are ignored and never talked about in most churchs. Justification for forcing the virgins of a conquered people to marry soldiers while the rest of their tribe, including male babies are killed. Incest . All can be justified by people using the bible.

So be aware. Dont let yourself be led down a path no good will ever come of. Ancient people had a lot of strange beliefs and practices. So did and do, a LOT of modern people. all using religion to justify their claims.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by danny clifton
That religion has been used to justify evil and all manner of craziness. For example here in the U.S. to enslave Africans. In order to salve their conscience, American slavers convinced themselves it was ordained by the same creator that gave them unalienable rights. For example these passages. I will leave you to their "correct interpretation" but they show a glimpse of what I am talking about.

When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, he said, “Cursed be Canaan; lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers.” He also said, “Blessed by the Lord my God be Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. (Genesis 9:24-27)

As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness. (Leviticus 25:44-46

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.(Ephesians 6:5-9)

There is lots more but you get the idea. Today, generally speaking, parts of the bible are ignored and never talked about in most churchs. Justification for forcing the virgins of a conquered people to marry soldiers while the rest of their tribe, including male babies are killed. Incest . All can be justified by people using the bible.

So be aware. Dont let yourself be led down a path no good will ever come of. Ancient people had a lot of strange beliefs and practices. So did and do, a LOT of modern people. all using religion to justify their claims.

[Linked Image]

Did America invent slavery? Did christians or the hebrews invent religion?
Many atrocities happend and were not simply Christianity's fault

Slavery in north America was not a concept just because of christianity
Pre columbian slavery was a fact of life as well

Man has justified slavery since the beginning its kind of unfair to imply only American slave holders did so under the guise of religion as far as what justification they used im not sure and why does it really matter? As a precautionary tale? I can support the fact that man has used many beliefs to condone slavery mass murder etc. but lets not forget that evil people use any excuse. And its not just because of christianity

Last edited by TravC; 09/11/21 03:09 PM.

There i said it....
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread