No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7352842
09/10/21 11:38 PM
09/10/21 11:38 PM
Vernal, Utah, USA
Dan Barnhurst Offline
trapper
Dan Barnhurst  Offline
trapper

Vernal, Utah, USA
Sorry you had to rattle their chains and hope you get a good resolution. There's comfort in knowing you did the right thing regardless. Thanks for the update.

Sneak the pan under his paw!
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Lugnut] #7352845
09/10/21 11:41 PM
09/10/21 11:41 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by TC1
I, by no means, condone poaching! But to get to the brass tacks, the only difference between possums and deer are the value the state agencies see in them quite frankly. Talk about laws and refs all you want, but it all comes down to $. Just sayin

I agree. I was simply pointing out that killing a deer for crop damage is not anything at all like shooting a possum in your chicken coop. And that is due to those laws and regulations.

It's the same to the farmers losing their money because of them. Same as poisoning coons, I don't like it but I don't know if I'd handle it any differently if I were in their shoes. I like to think I would do it different but wouldn't know til I was put in their position.

No one knows what happened to that deer the OP posted. IF it were shot, how would you know it was a farmer, how would you know it was gut shot on purpose, how do know it wasn't just kids being stupid, how do you know it wasn't the OP setting someone up? lol (I know that's a long shot, pun intended, but fact is no one knows what happened to that deer.) It may not have been shot at all. He said it was blind in one eye, maybe if was depressed and committed hari-kari with a sun dried possum tail. laugh

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7352846
09/10/21 11:58 PM
09/10/21 11:58 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
But I will say that once an acceptable population level is achieved then by all means open up opportunities for consumptive users like hunters and trappers have a go at maintaining a stable population.

[Linked Image]
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7352850
09/11/21 12:10 AM
09/11/21 12:10 AM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Pike County?

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Trap Setter] #7352889
09/11/21 05:38 AM
09/11/21 05:38 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Letting any animal suffer a slow death so you have less work is disgusting.

How does the vast majority of wildlife die? No hospice care for wildlife. Disease, predation and consumption by other wildlife.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7352890
09/11/21 05:41 AM
09/11/21 05:41 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
i agree with ADC , we r jumping the gun

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #7352923
09/11/21 07:59 AM
09/11/21 07:59 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Originally Posted by 50fps
Probably one of them farmers who claim crop damage, and doesn't allow hunters onto their property or asks "what's it worth to you?" when asking permission to hunt.

That's the problem,at least in some places.I've seen where farmers complain to the DNR non stop about deer and geese in their fields but ask for permission to hunt and its "No"

Depends on your perspective if that's a problem or not. Have you ever had your house peppered, fields rutted up , or had to pick up trash after someone? How about having an armed stranger or group of them on your property at odd hours and then get hostile and get and get a little lippy with you? Then you find out bob you gave permission to brought some friends that came back without Bob. If not how do you think you would Handel it. It would only take once and it would never happen again with me. Easier to o call the DNR or just shoot me hem without asking permission. And free hunting is great but why not make some money off all your Resources. At least pay your property tax.

I get it I i felt the same way before. I was getting ready to shoot a groundhog that keep making that dirt spot in a been field bigger. Over the few weeks I was watching on my way home from work it went 10x in size. As I was taking up slack on the trigger it occurred to me. If I asked that guy permission to hunt I would have better luck in success asking for permission to spend the he night with his wife or daughter. So I he safety was engaged and I watch that groundhog destroy a very large amount of that field. Similar to seeing a coyote in another fellow sheep pasture during lambing season. I could have solved both issues but just sat back feeling as you do.

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: ~ADC~] #7352931
09/11/21 08:09 AM
09/11/21 08:09 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by TC1
I, by no means, condone poaching! But to get to the brass tacks, the only difference between possums and deer are the value the state agencies see in them quite frankly. Talk about laws and refs all you want, but it all comes down to $. Just sayin

I agree. I was simply pointing out that killing a deer for crop damage is not anything at all like shooting a possum in your chicken coop. And that is due to those laws and regulations.

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
It's the same to the farmers losing their money because of them. Same as poisoning coons, I don't like it but I don't know if I'd handle it any differently if I were in their shoes. I like to think I would do it different but wouldn't know til I was put in their position.

I get what you're saying, it's the same in that in both instances an individual is protecting his livestock or crops. That's where the similarity ends

In PA we have a Red Tag Program where landowners apply permits to kill deer (not possums, deer only) year-round except for six weeks from mid-May to the end of June. They can and do give them to any licensed hunter. They must have their land open to hunting in order to qualify.

No such program exists for egg-eating possums. See the difference?

We also have a Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) where permits are issued to landowners or directly to hunters. It is similar to the Red Tag program but used more by timber companies than farmers.

There is no Possum Management Assistance Program (PMAP). See the difference?

Eh...wot?

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7352933
09/11/21 08:13 AM
09/11/21 08:13 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Letting any animal suffer a slow death so you have less work is disgusting.

How does the vast majority of wildlife die? No hospice care for wildlife. Disease, predation and consumption by other wildlife.

The majority of all wildlife dies from starvation or from being eaten alive. That is nature's way.

What point are you trying to make Feedinggrounds? That humans should be more like nature and let animals suffer slow, agonizing deaths even though we have the ability to ensure quick, humane kills?

Eh...wot?

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Lugnut] #7353070
09/11/21 11:58 AM
09/11/21 11:58 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by lugnut

I get what you're saying, it's the same in that in both instances an individual is protecting his livestock or crops. That's where the similarity ends

That is where it all ends as far as the farmers are concerned. They solved their problem and its all over. The only difference I see in it, and the coons, is they don't brag (as much) about it at coffee time at the feed store every morning. Just long legged rats to them.

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7353080
09/11/21 12:13 PM
09/11/21 12:13 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Lugnut, the point I was trying to make was, even though I prefer a quick humane death for all wildlife. It is rare, we are humanizing the death of wildlife. Not sure that is a good thing, certainly a discussable topic. But just pointing out that nature knows no feelings for suffering. Many here are getting their watches wound up with little to no facts. By now nature is well on her way to disposing of that deer I would guess.

Last edited by Feedinggrounds; 09/11/21 12:15 PM.

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Lugnut] #7353134
09/11/21 02:02 PM
09/11/21 02:02 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
[quote=TC1]I, by no means, condone poaching! But to get to the brass tacks, the only difference between possums and deer are the value the state agencies see in them quite frankly. Talk about laws and refs all you want, but it all comes down to $. Just sayin

In PA we have a Red Tag Program where landowners apply permits to kill deer (not possums, deer only) year-round except for six weeks from mid-May to the end of June. They can and do give them to any licensed hunter. They must have their land open to hunting in order to qualify.

No such program exists for egg-eating possums. See the difference?

We also have a Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) where permits are issued to landowners or directly to hunters. It is similar to the Red Tag program but used more by timber companies than farmers.

There is no Possum Management Assistance Program (PMAP). See the difference?
[/quote]

Sure do Lug, only hoops and red tape if it is affecting their dime. See the difference?

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7353138
09/11/21 02:12 PM
09/11/21 02:12 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by TC1
Sure do Lug, only hoops and red tape if it is affecting their dime. See the difference?

Sure do. So we agree, there is a big difference between shooting a deer for crop damage and killing a possum in a chicken coop. Maybe somebody should tell this guy.

Originally Posted by danny clifton
killing deer for crop damage is no different than killing a possum in a chicken coop

Eh...wot?

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Lugnut] #7353140
09/11/21 02:17 PM
09/11/21 02:17 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Not really agreed, which is fine, we are both big boys I hope. Very little difference in my opinion.

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7353314
09/11/21 05:36 PM
09/11/21 05:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The difference is humans are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to kill deer. They wont pay 50 cents to kill possums. The king doesn't make any money from possum killing.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Shot or birds? [Re: danny clifton] #7353322
09/11/21 05:43 PM
09/11/21 05:43 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by danny clifton
The difference is humans are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to kill deer. They wont pay 50 cents to kill possums. The king doesn't make any money from possum killing.

Very correct. In Michigan our DNR is managing deer as a pest and problem and also a way to make $$$$ Too bad for the DNR they have managed many hunters right out of the sport.

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7353337
09/11/21 06:09 PM
09/11/21 06:09 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
Originally Posted by Dstone1992
I found this deer on my long gravel drive today. Looks shot to me but could a bird make this hole? I called the agent, that was about worthless he said take pictures send them to me and drop a pin on it and that'll be good enough. Like he wasn't going to come out. I know he hasn't been here today and I called him at 9am. I was not to happy about that. I put 4 cameras up I'm gonna find out who is coming on the road. No one should be on the road so i hope they come back and I can figure out who it is. I know a deer can go along way with that wound but I know this doe she has 1 eye I see her in that bean field every night 20 yards from where she is laying now. The deer are wreeking havoc on those beans so I sure hope it's not the farmer.

If it is a path through. I would think it was shot. If it’s not, and you or someone you know has a metal detector , you can check it for a bullet. I tried twice, to use wildlife and fisheries , if they can’t write a ticket, they aren’t coming !! I wouldn’t worry about. Drag it of in the bone pile.

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7353616
09/12/21 05:22 AM
09/12/21 05:22 AM
lincoln co mo
jonesy Offline
trapper
jonesy  Offline
trapper

lincoln co mo
whooopy (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) do.. farmers killem all summer long around here and buzzard etc eatem... ask the farmer to hunt during deer season and they tell ya (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) NO

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: jonesy] #7354086
09/12/21 05:41 PM
09/12/21 05:41 PM
MO
D
Dstone1992 Offline OP
trapper
Dstone1992  Offline OP
trapper
D

MO
[quote=jonesy]whooopy (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) do.. farmers killem all summer long around here and buzzard etc eatem... ask the farmer to hunt during deer season and they tell ya (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) NO[/quote

Looks like we live in the same area. Where you at in Lincoln county? In south of elsberry a little bit. Up in the hills.

Re: Shot or birds? [Re: Dstone1992] #7354088
09/12/21 05:43 PM
09/12/21 05:43 PM
MO
D
Dstone1992 Offline OP
trapper
Dstone1992  Offline OP
trapper
D

MO
Well update. Judging but the decompression this one was shot in the same time frame. I obviously couldn't verify it was shot but what'd the chances? [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread