No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote attacks #7356190
09/15/21 09:43 AM
09/15/21 09:43 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND

Coyotes have attacked humans, including children, in Vancouver’s Stanley Park, 45 times since December. City officials have now closed the 1,000-acre park to non-essential access from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. to facilitate extensive trapping operations. The temporary night closure began Sept. 3 and will continue until “the risk of encountering an aggressive coyote has been significantly reduced.”

The attacks initially generated pleas from residents and businesses for the government to do something. At least two of the park’s Board commissioners publicly called for a major cull, according to the Vancouver Sun. Bill Tieleman, a political commentator, started a petition to “kick coyotes out of Vancouver before a child is killed” that has drawn more than 1,000 signatures as of September 9. In a recent post, Tieleman wrote that “this situation is completely intolerable—a park that tens of thousands of people depend on for recreation has been turned into a playpen for wild coyotes so habituated to humans that they now view them as prey.”

Tieleman says recommendations to avoid the park or carry bear spray were unacceptable and adds that coyotes are an invasive species with “no history in Vancouver.” He argues for the full closure of the park to execute a complete cull of all coyotes. “Until that is done,” he writes, “Stanley Park will be unusable to the very taxpayers who fund its staff and services.”

So far, seven Stanley Park coyotes have been euthanized by the B.C. Conservation Officer Service, according to the CBC. The latest coyote was killed after it approached within one meter of an officer shaking food in a container. The agency hopes to kill up to 35 coyotes at the park during the current two-week trapping effort. Coyotes will be caught alive and then euthanized. According to the CBC report, the “ongoing coyote attacks on humans, including children, and the feeding of the animals in Stanley Park has prompted the response.”

Repeated appeals for people to cease feeding wildlife in the area seem to have failed. F&S recently reported on a similar situation in San Francisco, where a woman was observed hand-feeding coyotes in a local park.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Coyote attacks [Re: MJM] #7356265
09/15/21 11:27 AM
09/15/21 11:27 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

My coyotes are a holes over elbows when ever they hear me coming I wonder what the difference is? (read sarcasm)

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Coyote attacks [Re: MJM] #7356267
09/15/21 11:39 AM
09/15/21 11:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I bet 50 guys or gals I hate to be sexist could put the fear in those coyotes in no time, equipped with shakers of food and 12ga when they get well within range smoke them with some #4
set up a thermal calling operation at night
run traps

put up signs any person caught feeding coyotes or other wild life will be made to feed them while sitting behind a wall of sand bags with shooters picking them off as they come in.

repeat the fear lesson every week for awhile , till coyotes are Holes over elbows any time they see a person

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Coyote attacks [Re: MJM] #7356270
09/15/21 11:51 AM
09/15/21 11:51 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Sounds like a good time

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Coyote attacks [Re: MJM] #7356277
09/15/21 11:59 AM
09/15/21 11:59 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Maybe they could bring in some grizzlies to scare the coyotes away.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Coyote attacks [Re: Leftlane] #7356290
09/15/21 12:13 PM
09/15/21 12:13 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Sounds like a good time

I know , a few hours of that , and some beer and you have a regular old party

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Coyote attacks [Re: MJM] #7356379
09/15/21 03:07 PM
09/15/21 03:07 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
35 coyotes in 1,000 acres??? Are you serious!!! That is only two square miles, what are they eating besides people food?.........jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread